Skins vs the Cards Pregame Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #46
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Skins vs the Cards Pregame Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I'm not the least bit concerned about Alex, Chris, Jordan, and Adrian playing well right out of the chute. Those guys were born ready.

As for the Cards turnover defense, just keep Perine on the bench. I'm not making a joke about this. He could kill our chances for a win with an inopportune fumble. Let's see if Gruden is smart enough to avoid trouble by not risking a Perine fumble.
Small sample size for Perine, but you'll probably find that he and Peterson have roughly the same carry to fumble ratio. Perhaps Peterson's is a little higher even...

I do think the Redskins will definitely have to win the turnover battle though, to come out of there with a W.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #47
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I think we win this one 24 to 17. Slow start by both teams, we then take the lead early in the second half, and give away one stupid TD in the 4th on blown coverage/missed tackles.

One thing I hate seeing on the depth chart: Jamison Crowder will be returning punts? ... Don't do that to us. Don't that to him...

Yeah, I was hoping to see someone else penciled in there to start the season...
Old 09-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #48
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

While watching the Thursday night game, I couldn't help but compare the Eagles and Falcons issues to how the Redskins may come out on Sunday.

Atlanta had difficulties scoring TDs last year after moving the ball down the field. They had the same issues last night. Sound familiar?

Hopefully with Smith they have taken a step forward with correcting the red zone issues, but I didn't see any progress on that front in the limited action I saw in the preseason.

Also, Philadelphia's offensive starters didn't play much together during the preseason (sound familiar?), and it was apparent for most of the game as Foles wasn't sharp, and they weren't on the same page a lot.

It's hard to call the first game of the season a must win, but it is an NFC game, which makes it important in my mind. The Redskins well known track record under Gruden in home openers is terrible. Here's to hoping that all the reps in practice together is enough to get them off to a fast start. It would be nice to see them come out and smash Arizona in the mouth, step on their necks and keep the foot down for four quarters.

Redskins 33
Cardinals 16
Old 09-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #49
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I thought Stroman did a decent job returning punts. At least he didn't fumble...
Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #50
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
While watching the Thursday night game, I couldn't help but compare the Eagles and Falcons issues to how the Redskins may come out on Sunday.

Atlanta had difficulties scoring TDs last year after moving the ball down the field. They had the same issues last night. Sound familiar?

Hopefully with Smith they have taken a step forward with correcting the red zone issues, but I didn't see any progress on that front in the limited action I saw in the preseason.

Also, Philadelphia's offensive starters didn't play much together during the preseason (sound familiar?), and it was apparent for most of the game as Foles wasn't sharp, and they weren't on the same page a lot.

It's hard to call the first game of the season a must win, but it is an NFC game, which makes it important in my mind. The Redskins well known track record under Gruden in home openers is terrible. Here's to hoping that all the reps in practice together is enough to get them off to a fast start. It would be nice to see them come out and smash Arizona in the mouth, step on their necks and keep the foot down for four quarters.

Redskins 33
Cardinals 16
I agree with what you're saying, it was really both QB's who were struggling. The QB is such an important position that if they struggle, the entire team does as well. Kirk was notorious for starting the season slow and revving it up in later weeks. Which I think contributes a bit to our 0-4 openers with Gruden. (It's not the sole reason though IMO)

I'm hoping Smith comes out like he did last year against NE and looks ready. I expect to have some rust and see some first game mistakes but if we can play a decent game we should win this one.

With Philly already having a W as well we can't afford to let them get ahead after the very first week.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I think you will see a lot of similar games to last night this weekend. That said, I am really hoping to see ASmith run our offense and minimize the mistakes. I think he can come out sharp and the rest of the offense will follow his lead.

The defensive line is my concern because those big guys other than Settle just haven't seen lots of time on the field for conditioning.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #52
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I'm watching football all day with my Cowboys buddy (yep, I have one, sigh) so we're gonna be a little shitfaced by the time the game starts. We really need to win! Do it for me Skins!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #53
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
WTF!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!
I would rather have Jay returning punts.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #54
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'm watching football all day with my Cowboys buddy (yep, I have one, sigh) so we're gonna be a little shitfaced by the time the game starts. We really need to win! Do it for me Skins!
I Have good friends that are dallass fans unfortunately
Old 09-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #55
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I Have good friends that are dallass fans unfortunately
Him and me share the same soul in how we root for sports.

Most level headed Cowboys fan you'll ever meet. But that's still no excuse for him lol.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #56
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

I Will be surprised if we win.I have no faith in Jay, I don’t know which Gruden is the bigger idiot, him or Jon,I don’t know WTF Jon is doing in Oakland but that’s another story.
I see Jay sticking to his same tendencies,running on 1st and 2nd down with Peterson, then trying to dig out of the hole with Thompson.I see Cards defense also knowing this and shutting down our offense.I think the score will be close at half time but in the second half Cards pull away,Jay finally starts passing on 1st down But by then it’s too late and the cards are keying on the QB.Maybe we get lucky and with Smiths mobility What would’ve been sacks with cousins turns into some big plays,let’s hope so
Old 09-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #57
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

No need for you to watch the game.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #58
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
I Will be surprised if we win.I have no faith in Jay, I don’t know which Gruden is the bigger idiot, him or Jon,I don’t know WTF Jon is doing in Oakland but that’s another story.
I see Jay sticking to his same tendencies,running on 1st and 2nd down with Peterson, then trying to dig out of the hole with Thompson.I see Cards defense also knowing this and shutting down our offense.I think the score will be close at half time but in the second half Cards pull away,Jay finally starts passing on 1st down But by then it’s too late and the cards are keying on the QB.Maybe we get lucky and with Smiths mobility What would’ve been sacks with cousins turns into some big plays,let’s hope so
I don’t have Sunday ticket so just saw some highlights so don’t know how the playcalling was but I AM MORE then happy to eat my words if it results in a victory!!HTTR