Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Should the Nats have traded Soriano?

Other Sports

Old 08-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Should the Nats have traded Soriano?

They could have picked up some big time prospects. Didn't the new owner say he was going to work on building up the farm system? Are they really gonna have a chance to keep this guy long term? My thinking he is gone after this season anyways and you could have got alot for him. Don't get me wrong, I like Soriano, but he is gonna demand a huge contract and that doesnt leave alot of cash for a supporting cast.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
12thMan
MVP

Re: Should the Nats have traded Soriano?

I disagree, gigity. I think for one Soriano will be a National next year, if fact over the next three or four years. Secondly, I think what they could have possibly gained in potential talent they already have a proven commodity in Soriano. Not only is he a hellacious hitter but his attitude, according to his own teamates, is infectious. I think this is a guy who can easily play at a very productive level for at least, at least another five years.

Sure they forfeited some possible farm prospects but they can still build around Soriano. And don't forget they still have a few promising young guys on the team already.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

too bad we will never know what teams were offering for him. then we could judge.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod
too bad we will never know what teams were offering for him. then we could judge.
Appearantly they weren't offering enough. Bowden wasn't budging!
Word has it he'll fetch between $12-15 mil next year. Even if he walks, we get a couple of top picks. But in no uncertain terms Soriano himself has said he wants to be back in Washington.

It seems like the Nats have a group of guys on the club that want to play in the new stadium and grow with the team.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

They have to beat out the Orioles in the local battle. Camden Yards of one of baseball's best stadiums (possibly helped by the harbor) and the O's will always get fans even when the team stinks, which is every year. The Nats need to attract more fans if they ever want to build a newer stadium and draw a bigger crowd. The Orioles lack a big name player since Ripken retired. Tejada is the closest they have to a player who can draw fans, but he wants out and is losing fans every day. Washington has one of the best players in baseball, despite his bad attitide sometimes. Prospects won't draw crowds, but a player the caliber of Soriano can. He's having a HUGE season and is warming up to the idea of staying in D.C. long term. That's great news for the team.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
Appearantly they weren't offering enough. Bowden wasn't budging!
Word has it he'll fetch between $12-15 mil next year. Even if he walks, we get a couple of top picks. But in no uncertain terms Soriano himself has said he wants to be back in Washington.

It seems like the Nats have a group of guys on the club that want to play in the new stadium and grow with the team.
i sure hope so
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
That Guy
Living Legend

no one traded a good pitcher, so no. there wasn't anyone to get. they better sign him long term though. he keeps butts in seats.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
jdlea
Playmaker

If they don't sign him long term they'll look really stupid. However, as it is, I think they're doing a good thing by keeping him. He's a great ballplayer who's committed to playing left field for them. I think they can build around this guy. He may never be a great defensive player in left field, but look at Manny Ramirez, he can barely field anything and sometimes looks like he's not even trying to make plays on balls in left. As long as he is adequate in the field and continues to be a great hitter, they did a good thing...if they can keep him.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Soriano may come back but I'm sure he'll test the market first. I'm not too suprised that they didn't trade him. I am surprised that the Nats didn't trade anyone though. I especially thought Livan would be traded to a playoff contender looking for another starter. And the season-ending injury to Jose Guillen killed any chance of him being traded.

They have some decent players-Schneider, Johnson, Zimmerman, Church, Kearns, Lopez but they could use some more depth.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #10
jdlea
Playmaker

Tejada is the guy that should have been dealt. They could have had Everett, Ensberg and Oswalt. Then, they would have flipped Oswalt to the Mets for Milledge and other prospects. OR they could have picked up Ervin Santana (who looks like has a bright career ahead of him) and Eric Aybar. I just don't get why they kept him. I'm a big Tejada fan, but dealing would have made them a better team. I guess Angelos realizes that trading him would have meant trading away the biggest star they have and without star power in baseball, you may not have much of a fan base.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:36 AM   #11
That Guy
Living Legend

guillen NEEDS to go. livan looks like he's found out how to stop sucking again, which is nice, but the nats pitching is generally beyond dreadful. 2 season ending injuries, livan being horrible, and no depth (well ortiz has been okay).

anyways, i think guillen and vidro might not be here next year (move lopez to 2nd and guzman at SS, since lopez ain't so hot there). I don't know where you magically get 3 more starting pitchers though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #12
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Cristian Guzman's terrible...Lopez, while not steady is a better option at SS. If Guillen and Vidro had been healthy, they would have been traded, so that got kinda screwed up.

They are building up towards the new stadium, and will use Soriano to become the face of the franchise on their way to rebuilding a depleted organization. What helped him stay is the season he's having. If he was being normal Soriano, he would have been traded.

As far as Tejada goes, you can't trade the heart and soul of a franchise. The O's rejected Houston because Oswalt would be a Free Agent after '07. They rejected Anaheim because they wanted a 3rd player for their franchise player.

Both teams did the right thing in keeping their superstars. Neither team really has a chance at the postseason, so why not keep building team chemistry and keep a stable team instead of trying to shake it up.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Nats just traded Livan to Arizona for two AA pitchers
Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #14
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

I work with a guy who follows baseball really closely and he seems to think that the Nats got two decent prospects. Livan was probably gone after this season so at least they got something.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
PCinOz
Camp Scrub

post 3
PCinOz is offline   Reply With Quote