Training Camp Updates:

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #46
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Training Camp Updates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Yeah that's probably the thinking around the team, if JC doesn't shine in the easier part of the schedule forget about it, we'll have a full blown QB controversy at work. Especially if Colt has another strong preseason. It won't matter if he's #2 or #3, people will start calling for him.

That said I don't think we have anything to worry about.
How can you say that -- have you seen them on the field playing a real game yet ... LOL
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #47
MTK
\m/

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #48
GTripp0012
Living Legend

The way the roster is built, the Redskins seem to have a two year window in which to win with the current group of guys.

It's not that the team can't possibly stay viable past then, but it's that the core of the 2011 team is going to be players like Landry, Hall, Haynesworth, Heyer, Dockery, Cooley, Davis, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Jarmon, Orakpo, Blades, Barnes, Tryon. That's...a largely unproven group, and having an established quarterback could make all the difference.

The quarterback in 2011 may very well be someone else besides Jason Campbell. And while that in itself is a totally viable idea, the last thing you want to do in 2009 is spend your last 9 games of the season screwing around with the offense because you have this inkling that Jason Campbell isn't going to be back next year. With the success of the 2010 team very much tied to the current players, you need to stretch this offense as far as it can go, and then if necessary changes need to be made in the offseason, make them.

No quarterback roulette this year, no matter what happens.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #49
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I know they had no pads on but it's good to hear no injuries.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #50
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The way the roster is built, the Redskins seem to have a two year window in which to win with the current group of guys.

It's not that the team can't possibly stay viable past then, but it's that the core of the 2011 team is going to be players like Landry, Hall, Haynesworth, Heyer, Dockery, Cooley, Davis, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Jarmon, Orakpo, Blades, Barnes, Tryon. That's...a largely unproven group, and having an established quarterback could make all the difference.

The quarterback in 2011 may very well be someone else besides Jason Campbell. And while that in itself is a totally viable idea, the last thing you want to do in 2009 is spend your last 9 games of the season screwing around with the offense because you have this inkling that Jason Campbell isn't going to be back next year. With the success of the 2010 team very much tied to the current players, you need to stretch this offense as far as it can go, and then if necessary changes need to be made in the offseason, make them.

No quarterback roulette this year, no matter what happens.

GTripp,

My take is if Campbell falters he may not be yanked mid-way, but he will not be resigned in the offseason. This year is do or die for him as far as being a Redskin - nothing short of making the playoffs in my opinion - 8-8 will not cut it this year with the defense as stacked as it is.

If the Skins totally falter and wind up a lottery winner in the draft next year I see us taking a qb in the first round - even though I love to build from the trenches I think Synder will say lets take the star qb if he is available when they pick - or lets try and trade for one if available.

I know that Capbell has been in more systems than is reasonable, but I just don't see after several years here that Synder will extend him if we miss out on the playoffs due to an ineffective offense.

I hope Campbell proves all the naysayers wrong and really breaks out - that way we can focus our future drafts on the offensive line and not have to spend next year going through another quarterback adjustment.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #51
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Chip View Post
I was at this morning's practice. Run of the mill. Three things worth mentioning. Devin Thomas looked sharp, Samuels looks skinnier, and Peter King was present taking some notes but mostly talking to a fat man in a suit (who was either a Sidney Greenstreet impersonator or JFK's beat reporter) and Mike Wise. Also Lindsay Czarniak wore blue. So four things.
You sure it wasn't Ross Tucker King was with?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #52
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
GTripp,

My take is if Campbell falters he may not be yanked mid-way, but he will not be resigned in the offseason. This year is do or die for him as far as being a Redskin - nothing short of making the playoffs in my opinion - 8-8 will not cut it this year with the defense as stacked as it is.

If the Skins totally falter and wind up a lottery winner in the draft next year I see us taking a qb in the first round - even though I love to build from the trenches I think Synder will say lets take the star qb if he is available when they pick - or lets try and trade for one if available.

I know that Capbell has been in more systems than is reasonable, but I just don't see after several years here that Synder will extend him if we miss out on the playoffs due to an ineffective offense.

I hope Campbell proves all the naysayers wrong and really breaks out - that way we can focus our future drafts on the offensive line and not have to spend next year going through another quarterback adjustment.
I agree that the defense is completely stacked, and deep at the first and third levels, but that's not an absolute guarantee that it will play well, or even outplay the offense.

Mixed in with the overwhelming evidence that suggests this team will succeed is legitimate reason it may fail: mostly reasons unrelated to Jason Campbell.

Quite simply, if we have a front office that can't differentiate between problems caused by the quarterback, and problems independent of the quarterback, and they've shown little reason to believe they can, then it doesn't really matter one way or the other who the quarterback is on this team as the offense is only bound to get more ineffective in the future.

I think the biggest running misconception about the Redskins is that people aren't seeing the grand canyon sized chasm between where the offense is, and where it could be if the team isn't careful about the moves it makes. Putting a bad quarterback in there, having Portis get hurt, multiple injuries on the offensive line combined with continued ineffectiveness of the receivers...and we're a 5-11 team even given a minor defensive improvement. We have to be careful not to mess with what's right about the offense, and only work on the problem areas.

Last edited by GTripp0012; 07-30-2009 at 05:22 PM.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #53
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

James Thrash just walked out to the practice field with the team. He was wearing casual Redskins gear. Coaching intern, perhaps?

from twitter
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

What's up with Dorsey? Heard he got carted off
Old 07-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #55
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I agree that the defense is completely stacked, and deep at the first and third levels, but that's not an absolute guarantee that it will play well, or even outplay the offense.

Mixed in with the overwhelming evidence that suggests this team will succeed is legitimate reason it may fail: mostly reasons unrelated to Jason Campbell.

Quite simply, if we have a front office that can't differentiate between problems caused by the quarterback, and problems independent of the quarterback, and they've shown little reason to believe they can, then it doesn't really matter one way or the other who the quarterback is on this team as the offense is only bound to get more ineffective in the future.

I think the biggest running misconception about the Redskins is that people aren't seeing the grand canyon sized chasm between where the offense is, and where it could be if the team isn't careful about the moves it makes. Putting a bad quarterback in there, having Portis get hurt, multiple injuries on the offensive line combined with continued ineffectiveness of the receivers...and we're a 5-11 team even given a minor defensive improvement. We have to be careful not to mess with what's right about the offense, and only work on the problem areas.

Good points. Maybe would it be fair to say the way the Skins should approach building the offense is to look at when the Skins won the Super Bowl when Rypien was the qb - basically build an incredible dominant offensive line and good recievers with an adequate running back and most qbs could thrive?
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #56
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
James Thrash just walked out to the practice field with the team. He was wearing casual Redskins gear. Coaching intern, perhaps?

from twitter
He's got a front office job I believe. I think he's going to be doing something like helping young players transition into the NFL, adjust to life as a pro athlete, etc.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #57
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
Good points. Maybe would it be fair to say the way the Skins should approach building the offense is to look at when the Skins won the Super Bowl when Rypien was the qb - basically build an incredible dominant offensive line and good recievers with an adequate running back and most qbs could thrive?
In a more immediate sense: take the 2008 Miami Dolphins offense, remove the big gains and wasted plays that came with the wildcat, and that's what the offense should look to accomplish this year.

We don't have very good receivers, but they have the potential to be as good as the Dolphins' were last year.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #58
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What's up with Dorsey? Heard he got carted off
According to Redskins.com Dorsey had cramps.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #59
70Chip
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You sure it wasn't Ross Tucker King was with?
He was there as well. He's not fat at all. He must be way down from his playing weight.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #60
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
According to Redskins.com Dorsey had cramps.
Same excuse my wife uses...