Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Catching Up With Pete Kendall; Could He Be Back?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
stu_nna
Special Teams

Catching Up With Pete Kendall; Could He Be Back?

Redskins Insider - Catching Up With Pete Kendall; Could He Be Back?
stu_nna is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Catching Up With Pete Kendall; Could He Be Back?

Depending on how camp shakes out I wouldn't mind seeing Kendall back as a reserve.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
freddyg12
Playmaker

good post MIke, I read this earlier too. After reading what slingin sammy said R. Thomas looked like, Kendall might HAVE to come back.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
skinsnut
Playmaker

I kinda like Kendall but Bridges is the same kind of utility guy...I dont get why we'd pick him up....unless 2 thinks happen, Randy Thomas cant play AND Rhinehart isn't ready to start. Kendall is not a viable option at Tackle at all.
I still see the main concern at RT....first, we need a starter and 2nd we need another backup cause it is beginning to look like Mike Williams aint ready for prime time.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Signing OL during training camp is too little too late.

This should have been the main focus during FA and the draft. Kendall coming in during training camp isn't going to make any difference in our overall OL production.

My personal opinion is that it is sad that everyone is placing this enormous expectation on Campbell to step up and be "pivotal" when all that mean squat if he constantly evading defenders every snap. The Skins knew Campbell had to "step up" this year and perform as expected but yet yielded no support in signing/drafting any OL help in the offseason.(Losing Kendall neutralizes signing Dockery)

Campbell possibly could have matured and become seasoned enough to where he could lead a team to the post season...we'll never know because management left him out to dry this season.

If you don't agree with that, then you can at least agree to this. Two years ago receiving was one of our major problems. We draft 3 receivers with our first 3 picks. Last year our biggest liability was obviously our OL. We sign/draft no one to additionally help the OL and then expect Campbell to "step up" and play well in his pivotal year?...yeah right.

Good luck to Campbell but I'm just not seeing everyone's expectation of success with our offense.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Signing OL during training camp is too little too late.

This should have been the main focus during FA and the draft. Kendall coming in during training camp isn't going to make any difference in our overall OL production.

My personal opinion is that it is sad that everyone is placing this enormous expectation on Campbell to step up and be "pivotal" when all that mean squat if he constantly evading defenders every snap. The Skins knew Campbell had to "step up" this year and perform as expected but yet yielded no support in signing/drafting any OL help in the offseason.(Losing Kendall neutralizes signing Dockery)

Campbell possibly could have matured and become seasoned enough to where he could lead a team to the post season...we'll never know because management left him out to dry this season.

If you don't agree with that, then you can at least agree to this. Two years ago receiving was one of our major problems. We draft 3 receivers with our first 3 picks. Last year our biggest liability was obviously our OL. We sign/draft no one to additionally help the OL and then expect Campbell to "step up" and play well in his pivotal year?...yeah right.

Good luck to Campbell but I'm just not seeing everyone's expectation of success with our offense.
Hard to disagree w/ your points here Skinny. I watched a ton of football last year (every Skins game and quite a few others) and honestly believe we had the worst overall oline in the league after week 8. We were basically old, very small and very, very slow. JC had no time. Run-blocking was average at best. People point to the oline as a huge part of CP's early success, but I tend to think Portis, like him or not, is one of the best backs in football and made our oline look much better than it was.

Fastforward to this year and it's basically the same faces out there, and the additions are nothing to get excited about. The news on big Mike over the last week tells me he won't make us better any time soon...if ever. Bridges should be decent at guard but doesn't appear to be a dominant OT. So basically we've got two "devoted" OTs on the roster at this point...one coming back from major injury and the other nothing special and surprisingly injury prone for a young guy. To me it looks like the FO doesn't want to give JC the opportunity to be great. I think bringing in another legit OT, namely Levi Jones, would be the smart move and make a strong statement...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post

I don't agree to that. We got younger at LG with a guy who's been a starter and Samuels feels very comfortable playing next to in Dockery. We added another starter in Bridges for the right side. We're admittedly taking a gamble in Mike Williams, but if it happens to pay off it would be a steal. We drafted Rinehart in the 3rd round last year with the expectation he would develop, we signed a guy many thought would be a mid round draft pick in Edwin Williams. We are going to need to develop more tackles long term but we're definitely making improvements along line especially the interior.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

I definitely see Dock as an upgrade over Kendall. He gives us a lot more beef and power on the left side. Kendall is more of a technician type and he's on the small side.

I'm thinking we could see Bridges starting at RG, and that might not be a bad thing at all.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

If we can use him, I'd be ok with that............GOOD DUDE
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
stu_nna
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't agree to that. We got younger at LG with a guy who's been a starter and Samuels feels very comfortable playing next to in Dockery. We added another starter in Bridges for the right side. We're admittedly taking a gamble in Mike Williams, but if it happens to pay off it would be a steal. We drafted Rinehart in the 3rd round last year with the expectation he would develop, we signed a guy many thought would be a mid round draft pick in Edwin Williams. We are going to need to develop more tackles long term but we're definitely making improvements along line especially the interior.
I'm with ya. I see developments over last year. Though they may not be major. We got hammered last year by some of the top defenses in the leauge last year. We didnt get handled by every team last year.
stu_nna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
Pocket$ $traight

Maybe I am reading this incorrectly, but from what I read here, it almost sounds like Kendall would immediately jump at the chance to accept a vet min contract to be a backup here.

A wise man once said, "The future is now" and those words definitely apply to Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell in Washington.

If I were Zorn, I would ask for them to offer Kendall a deal. I understand that we have some young linemen and that we need time to "coach them up". Zorn doesn't have that much time. He needs to win this year.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Randy Thomas' health problems while not a good thing in general, are allowing Rinehart to get more reps against an elite defensive line. While it may be a good idea to pick up another veteran back up, it is time for these young guys to step it up and show what they got. Having these guys take a lot of reps will make them better back ups and potential starters.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #13
an23dy
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Randy Thomas' health problems while not a good thing in general, are allowing Rinehart to get more reps against an elite defensive line. While it may be a good idea to pick up another veteran back up, it is time for these young guys to step it up and show what they got. Having these guys take a lot of reps will make them better back ups and potential starters.
Agreed, Kendall is 36 and we've got a lot of young guys we need to throw into the fire. Everybody was always complaining about how old our O-line is and now they want to sign Kendall and not give the young guys a chance. I think Rinehart and Bridges are good enough, there's even been positive stuff said about Will Montgomery. If we add a player to the O-line it should be a tackle.
an23dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I definitely see Dock as an upgrade over Kendall. He gives us a lot more beef and power on the left side. Kendall is more of a technician type and he's on the small side.

I'm thinking we could see Bridges starting at RG, and that might not be a bad thing at all.
I'm agreeing that Dockery makes our line younger and he'll be more serviceable than Kendall but we still lost Kendall. He was one of our better O lineman last year and we still sucked at protection. I know everyone remembers that "pivotal" Ravens game last year where TSizzle made a mockery of what was left of our OL.

To me it doesn't seem that much has been changed to stabilize or improve the line as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an23dy View Post
I think Rinehart and Bridges are good enough, there's even been positive stuff said about Will Montgomery. If we add a player to the O-line it should be a tackle.
Some of the names people are bringing up as solutions to our OL woes are baffling to me. Reinhardt wasn't even trusted to get time in a real game down the stretch when we had so many injuries people like Justin Geslinger were left battling the likes of TSizzle. If Bridges was so prolific then why isn't he already slated as a solid starter with guys like Thomas & Heyer battling injuries?

To me, bottom line, our OL was pedestrian at best last year and we lost (Kendall & Jansen) and only added Dockery. That's certainly not enough improvement to look Campbell in the face and say it's now up to you.

Love the Skins and anyone else who disagrees, just MHO.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Lets see what Reinhardt can do, if he sux, put in Bridges. Dont add more age with Kendall to the OLine. Im more worried with RT and our back up to Samuels.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote