Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Warpath interview with Former Redskins OL Shar Pourdanesh

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Warpath interview with Former Redskins OL Shar Pourdanesh

TWP: How did you become a Redskin? Take us through that process.

SP: I was discovered by Russ Grimm, former Redskin great. Early in spring of 1996 I was asked to come to Redskin park for an interview, and the only coach available, Russ Grimm took me through some drills. He was impressed with my quickness and strength and urged the team to sign me. I was really brought into camp as an after thought. I was not expected to make the team, let alone become the starting left tackle on opening day. My first two years with the Skins were wonderful, where I enjoyed great success and recognition. However my last year (1998) was hampered by a severe injury, which limited my effectiveness.

Unfortunately many fans remember me from that year and not the good years that I had.

TWP. How did playing in the NFL differ from playing in the CFL?

SP: CFL was a lot of fun. The game is faster and more exciting than the NFL in my opinion. Obviously the overall talent does not compete with the NFL, but there are many great players in that league. It is interesting to note that there is no drug testing in the CFL. There are many players rumored to be using performance enhancing drugs. In fact the toughest game I have ever played as a pro was in the CFL. I played against someone that was kicked out of the NFL because of repeated steroid abuse. In that particular game, it was rumored that he was using illegal substances at half time. That game felt like I was playing against a wild and enraged animal! Needless to say I struggled in that game.

TWP: Did you feel extra pressure because of your background as the NFL's first Iranian born player?

SP: I did not. This is a source of pride for me. No matter what happens, I will always be the first Iranian player in history.

TWP: What was your Welcome to the NFL moment?

SP: When I was introduced on the field as the starting left tackle on opening day in 1996. It was a magical moment for me.

TWP: Talk about playing for Norv Turner.

SP: I will always be grateful to him. He was the person that gave me my first opportunity. He believed in me and took a chance on me.

TWP: Who were your most influential teammates?

SP: I was honored to play with the great Darrell Green. He was a great teacher to many of us younger players.

TWP: What is the biggest misconception about NFL players, particularly as it relates to the current lockout situation?

SP: The biggest misconception is that all NFL players are multi millionaires. This is only true for a few, who the lockout will not affect. Unfortunately, most players are dependent on their checks and I am afraid that the owners are counting on this fact and know that once the players feel the pressure of losing money they will fracture.

TWP: Do you still keep in touch with the Redskins organization?

SP: Unfortunately, I do not. This is purely my fault. I should be more aggressive in keeping touch with my team.

TWP: Who are the best left and right tackles in the game today?

SP: I think there many great young tackles in the league. I particularly like D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Joe Thomas. They will forces for a long time to come.

TWP: Tell us a little bit more about how you got involved in Zero to Wealth.

SP: My goal is to create a large network of like minded entrepreneurs who will benefit from such a network. My current company, Performance Financial Systems (subsidiary of Itonis Holdings) is actually a venture capital resource for small companies and entrepreneurs. We offer a course and training based on my success in business startups. We teach the A to Z's of business development and prepare our student how to properly apply for funding. After proper consideration, we then choose some of the better ideas/products and fund them ourselves.

TWP: During your playing days, how did you prepare yourself for life after football?

SP: I always knew that I needed to prepare myself for life after the NFL. During 1998 I started on my first venture; a real estate development company, and applied the same work ethics and commitments from sports to the business world.

TWP: How do you like to spend your downtime?

SP: I love to play basketball, and I enjoy reading. I also enjoy traveling. I am currently planning a production of a documentary/reality show of me and some of my former teammates going to exotic locations around the world.

TWP: What is the best advice you would give to aspiring entrepreneurs?

SP: Always go against the grain. Be bold and do no be afraid of mistakes. Build a solid foundation and always have a contingency plan for the worst, while aspiring for the best.

TWP: What is your favorite type of pie?

SP: Pecan. Yum!

Thanks!

Advertisements
Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

re: Warpath interview with Former Redskins OL Shar Pourdanesh

Good stuff!
Old 05-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

That's pretty cool. I heard an ad on the radio the other day about his Performance Financial Systems thing. I guess he did a seminar at some hotel in Northern VA recently that was attended by a bunch of former Redskins. Seems like a sharp guy.

He's a good example for average to below average NFL players who only have playing careers of 3 or 4 seasons. Gotta plan and save. That window of being a high six figure earner is very small.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Cool stuff!
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Warpath interview with Former Redskins OL Shar Pourdanesh

Who?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Pretty awesome interview.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Awesome, wish he could've lasted longer. He had a diff take on the whole Redskins vs Steelers idea

Glad to hear that he's doing well

Catching up with Shar Pourdanesh - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote