Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Parkland Shooting

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Parkland Shooting

I think we all agree how tragic this was. And I am sure we disagree on the solutions

But the remarks from Trump, I think were the words that a President should say. His delivery often is not the best but these words should be printed, bolded, and lifted to every student, child, parent and human in the US.
Quote:
My fellow Americans, today I speak to a nation in grief. Yesterday, a school filled with innocent children and caring teachers became the scene of terrible violence, hatred and evil.
Around 2:30 yesterday afternoon, police responded to reports of gunfire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida -- a great and safe community. There, a shooter, who is now in custody, opened fire on defenseless students and teachers. He murdered 17 people and badly wounded at least 14 others.
Our entire nation, with one heavy heart, is praying for the victims and their families. To every parent, teacher, and child who is hurting so badly, we are here for you -- whatever you need, whatever we can do, to ease your pain. We are all joined together as one American family, and your suffering is our burden also.

No child, no teacher, should ever be in danger in an American school. No parent should ever have to fear for their sons and daughters when they kiss them goodbye in the morning.

Each person who was stolen from us yesterday had a full life ahead of them -- a life filled with wondrous beauty and unlimited potential and promise. Each one had dreams to pursue, love to give, and talents to share with the world. And each one had a family to whom they meant everything in the world.
Today, we mourn for all of those who lost their lives. We comfort the grieving and the wounded. And we hurt for the entire community of Parkland, Florida, that is now in shock, in pain, and searching for answers.

To law enforcement, first responders, and teachers who responded so bravely in the face of danger: We thank you for your courage. Soon after the shooting, I spoke with Gov. (Rick) Scott to convey our deepest sympathies to the people of Florida and our determination to assist in any way that we can. I also spoke with Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi and Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel.

I'm making plans to visit Parkland to meet with families and local officials, and to continue coordinating the federal response.
In these moments of heartache and darkness, we hold on to God's word in scripture: "I have heard your prayer and seen your tears. I will heal you."
We trust in that promise, and we hold fast to our fellow Americans in their time of sorrow.
I want to speak now directly to America's children, especially those who feel lost, alone, confused or even scared: I want you to know that you are never alone and you never will be. You have people who care about you, who love you, and who will do anything at all to protect you. If you need help, turn to a teacher, a family member, a local police officer, or a faith leader. Answer hate with love; answer cruelty with kindness.

We must also work together to create a culture in our country that embraces the dignity of life, that creates deep and meaningful human connections and that turns classmates and colleagues into friends and neighbors.
Our administration is working closely with local authorities to investigate the shooting and learn everything we can. We are committed to working with state and local leaders to help secure our schools, and tackle the difficult issue of mental health.
Later this month, I will be meeting with the nation's governors and attorney generals, where making our schools and our children safer will be our top priority. It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference. We must actually make that difference.

In times of tragedy, the bonds that sustain us are those of family, faith, community, and country. These bonds are stronger than the forces of hatred and evil, and these bonds grow even stronger in the hours of our greatest need.
And so always, but especially today, let us hold our loved ones close, let us pray for healing and for peace, and let us come together as one nation to wipe away the tears and strive for a much better tomorrow.
Thank you. And God Bless you all. Thank you very much.
The bolded parts are the ones that stood out to me. I personally like that he kept away from the nitty gritty of the political debates and focused on the hurt and healing that is needed.

I hope that the politicos will get past the meaningless debates and focus on the state of mental health in this country, the isolation of much of our youth, and the negative impacts of social media throughout.

I have a 17year old daughter, an 18 year old son, and a 20 year old son, I can't imagine losing any of them from an act of pure evil. I can't imagine the grief in that community right now and for years to come.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Parkland Shooting

Empty bullshit.

Do something politicians or shut the fuck up. I'm voting Dem until we get a solution.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think we all agree how tragic this was. And I am sure we disagree on the solutions

But the remarks from Trump, I think were the words that a President should say. His delivery often is not the best but these words should be printed, bolded, and lifted to every student, child, parent and human in the US.

The bolded parts are the ones that stood out to me. I personally like that he kept away from the nitty gritty of the political debates and focused on the hurt and healing that is needed.

I hope that the politicos will get past the meaningless debates and focus on the state of mental health in this country, the isolation of much of our youth, and the negative impacts of social media throughout
I have a 17year old daughter, an 18 year old son, and a 20 year old son, I can't imagine losing any of them from an act of pure evil. I can't imagine the grief in that community right now and for years to come.
Two things here one,if you think trump came up with that you are seriously demented and two, the only stat you need to know and remember is ..18 SCHOOL SHOOTINGS since Jan first!work with that stat

Here is the trump I know........

[url]https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/why-wont-donald-trump-denounce-sandy-hook-deniers[/url

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/newtown-demands-trump-denounce-amazing-alex-jones-article-1.3077764
Old 02-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Empty bullshit.

Do something politicians or shut the fuck up. I'm voting Dem until we get a solution.
I believe he will. But that speech is meant to express the nation's grief to suffering families.

The answers are deeper than the first speech after the incident can propose.

I believe he and the governors will move mental health, and school security higher on their agenda. And put forward real solutions to the issues.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Two things here one,if you think trump came up with that you are seriously demented and two, the only stat you need to know and remember is ..18 SCHOOL SHOOTINGS since Jan first!work with that stat

Here is the trump I know........

[url]https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/why-wont-donald-trump-denounce-sandy-hook-deniers[/url

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/newtown-demands-trump-denounce-amazing-alex-jones-article-1.3077764
That's a talking point stat. Political garbage that is exactly what we don't need in trying to solve the problems.

As for Trump. Hate all you want but we will have a tax cut, a 2 year bipartisan budget and shortly a bipartisan immigration plan on his watch. If he really sets this as a priority, and he will, there will be a real plan to fix it coming out by june.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Yeah I get it, but politicians have expressed grief countless times after these things. I just don't care what they have to say. I'm only interested in what they do.

I'm normally a GOP voter, but I hope they hear me when I say I will vote Dem until meaningful solutions to preventing mass casualty gun violence is enacted, especially mass casualty gun violence in school settings.

I'm a one issue voter from here on, until it gets properly dealt with. So they can flap their gums all they want, I don't care what they say. And that goes for me too, I'm not going to vent on Facebook, I'm not going to debate about in on the WP, I'm just going to vote.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

At this point, I'm so exasperated with mass casualty shootings, that I will vote for the party that wants to do SOMETHING over the party that says well that won't work because, or that won't work because, or that won't work because...

Fucking do something. They're complicit in these deaths.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah I get it, but politicians have expressed grief countless times after these things. I just don't care what they have to say. I'm only interested in what they do.

I'm normally a GOP voter, but I hope they hear me when I say I will vote Dem until meaningful solutions to preventing mass casualty gun violence is enacted, especially mass casualty gun violence in school settings.

I'm a one issue voter from here on, until it gets properly dealt with. So they can flap their gums all they want, I don't care what they say. And that goes for me too, I'm not going to vent on Facebook, I'm not going to debate about in on the WP, I'm just going to vote.
Let me ask Schneed most mass shootings happen in heavily democratic areas. Why would you boycott Republicans when they don't have as many in their localities? In my opinion the democrats fixation on a gun control solution is the biggest obstacle to solving this. The democrats refuse to look at obvious solutions like emergency action plans and including armed security. Gun control advocates block all other rational discussions.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
At this point, I'm so exasperated with mass casualty shootings, that I will vote for the party that wants to do SOMETHING over the party that says well that won't work because, or that won't work because, or that won't work because...

Fucking do something. They're complicit in these deaths.
I agree with this and I am willing to bet that Trump will bring a plan forward. I don't think it's focus will be gun control, and the liberal elites and media will berate it as they have already started doing with this tragedy.

The answer lies in finding the effective solutions. Not age old political barbs.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Let me ask Schneed most mass shootings happen in heavily democratic areas. Why would you boycott Republicans when they don't have as many in their localities? In my opinion the democrats fixation on a gun control solution is the biggest obstacle to solving this. The democrats refuse to look at obvious solutions like emergency action plans and including armed security. Gun control advocates block all other rational discussions.
Well, first, my vote is local, isn't it? I'd be voting for my representative to US Congress, the 7th PA district. And I'd be voting for my US Senator from PA. And I'd be voting for my state reps, and my township council, etc.

I would insist on voting for those representatives who would be willing to enact policies that would be stronger than are currently on the books, because I'm not satisfied with the efforts at a local level any more than I am on a national level.

In fact I just started a post in my local school district's PTO Facebook page as to whether there are any laws on the books that would prevent our school district from hiring armed security to be stationed on our school campuses. I'd be more interested in tangible actions at the local level to specifically protect my children.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Well, first, my vote is local, isn't it? I'd be voting for my representative to US Congress, the 7th PA district. And I'd be voting for my US Senator from PA. And I'd be voting for my state reps, and my township council, etc.

I would insist on voting for those representatives who would be willing to enact policies that would be stronger than are currently on the books, because I'm not satisfied with the efforts at a local level any more than I am on a national level.

In fact I just started a post in my local school district's PTO Facebook page as to whether there are any laws on the books that would prevent our school district from hiring armed security to be stationed on our school campuses. I'd be more interested in tangible actions at the local level to specifically protect my children.
See that all makes sense to me.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Really another shooting as it seems gun control all talk no action. Need more the latter for sure.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

The cuts in Medicaid should go a long way in providing sufficient mental health services
Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The response was appropriate, definitely more presidential then the norm.

I'm indifferent to it because any gun control legislation will probably be shot down, no pun intended, and we'll forget about it until the next one. Sucks for the families that lost their kids. Hiring armed security guards for the schools would be nice, but how many underfunded public schools can afford more than 1 armed security guard? I heard a rumor that this particular school had an armed guard and the kid still managed to be effective.

Ok so the solution is armed teachers? That's fine and dandy, provided it's optional and not mandatory. But how many teachers do you know that would be able to effectively confront an active shooter most likely armed with an assault rifle (as that seems to be the weapon of choice in mass shootings)? What if the teacher shoots an innocent kid while they're trying to take down the shooter?

Budgeting for more than 1 SRO isn't gonna happen, esp. with Devos' plan to divert public school funding to more optional school choices like the one she grew up with. Arming teachers works in theory, but this assumes there are plenty of teachers who want to be armed and also have the training necessary to confront an active shooter. And forget taking mental health seriously, that costs money that we don't have.

So RIP innocent kids, thoughts and prayers to all the innocent families torn apart by this tragedy, and in a week or so everything will be back to normal until the next one (ETA 2-4 months for mass casaulties, 1-2 weeks for specific target being shot).
Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Time to build walls around our schools