Best Friday Night Dinner

Parking Lot

Old 03-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #31
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Best Friday Night Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I start dinner with several Vodka and Tonics or what ever sounds good. The wife thinks it takes an hour to get the grill going. After a few more V&T's anything tast good. Last weekend a friend came over and I lost track of grilling time and the chicken got a little dry. Good thing the wife had a few glasses of wine because with a little more extra BBQ sauce you could hardly tell. Tonight its grilled hot wings as I watch the last couple hours of the Masters. I'm leaving work so you guys have fun. God its nice to be self employed.
yup, boy i must spend a good hour in the back yard watching the dogs, drinking beers, putzing around before i actually start the grill. saturday we did these real nice filets we got from our butcher, grilled big cuts of olive oil & herb brushed zuccini and squash, bbq shrimp skeewers.

the problem was i was trying kingsford's new "competition briquets" which are ready to cook on faster and burn at a higher heat = coals wont last as long. i literally had to start cooking within 10 minutes of firing the grill up.

i went thru a bag of this real charcoal from france last week. burned slow, took a while to start but once it got started you could add charcoal chunks as you grilled which was nice b/c i do alot of different foods on one grilling, so each food needs different time on the grill, different hot spots if you are searing vs slow cooking/smoking it out with hickory wood chips.

man, we need a bbq thread. ive already gone thru 2 big bags in just a few weeks. i havent been able to find live lobster yet in bmore, man i want to grill some lobster tail.

Advertisements
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #32
over the mountain
Playmaker

best friday night dinner - ny strip at peter's inn in fells point, with an order of their garlic bread and braised pork belly for starters. hands down for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #33
MTK
\m/

I need to get my propane tank topped off, we're looking at weather in the mid to high 70s by the end of this week. Definitely time to fire up the grill!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #34
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Pizza or mexican is my ideal Friday night, washed down with a couple of pints of Guinness.

But since I like to hit the gym on Friday nights I'll usually skip the Guinness at dinner and have them later on, but then of course 2 beers turns into 4 or 5 or 12.
I'm a Friday night pizza guy myself. I haven't tried drinking a Guiness with Pizza yet.

Quote:
I need to get my propane tank topped off, we're looking at weather in the mid to high 70s by the end of this week. Definitely time to fire up the grill!
My neighbor gave me the idea of keeping 2 filled propane tanks around the house so that you aren't in that awkward situation of having to stop cooking an run to the store for a refill.

It is definately time to fire the grill up. I would have imagined that you would have done it when we had that beautiful weekend 2 weeks ago. That's when I started.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
I did that on Saturday, but my propane tank (and reserve tank I always keep handy) were both empty from grilling all winter.

There is no such thing as grill season for me, it's a year-round way of life.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #36
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Since it's warming up here I grab a couple ribeyes and fire up the grill while I tossing back Dos Equis lager. That's possibly my favorite summertime brew.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #37
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Since it's warming up here I grab a couple ribeyes and fire up the grill while I tossing back Dos Equis lager. That's possibly my favorite summertime brew.

I love the Amber, best.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #38
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
yup, boy i must spend a good hour in the back yard watching the dogs, drinking beers, putzing around before i actually start the grill. saturday we did these real nice filets we got from our butcher, grilled big cuts of olive oil & herb brushed zuccini and squash, bbq shrimp skeewers.

the problem was i was trying kingsford's new "competition briquets" which are ready to cook on faster and burn at a higher heat = coals wont last as long. i literally had to start cooking within 10 minutes of firing the grill up.

i went thru a bag of this real charcoal from france last week. burned slow, took a while to start but once it got started you could add charcoal chunks as you grilled which was nice b/c i do alot of different foods on one grilling, so each food needs different time on the grill, different hot spots if you are searing vs slow cooking/smoking it out with hickory wood chips.

man, we need a bbq thread. ive already gone thru 2 big bags in just a few weeks. i havent been able to find live lobster yet in bmore, man i want to grill some lobster tail.
Thats funny you posted this because last night I used some of those new kingfords briquest last and i hate them. They light real fast and get really hot. I cook a London Broil last night and I could not take my eyes off it because I was worried it would burn. I even had all the vents closed off at one point and still had issues. Do you use a Charcoal Chimmy? If not you need to buy one as they are great and you do not need to use any light fluid. Here is a link to what they are and you can find them at any Lowes. The bigger one on the left is more $ but it light better and will out last two or three of the ones on the left. I have both gas and charcoal grills.
The Charcoal Chimney Starter
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #39
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I did that on Saturday, but my propane tank (and reserve tank I always keep handy) were both empty from grilling all winter.

There is no such thing as grill season for me, it's a year-round way of life.
Is that you SBF?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #40
over the mountain
Playmaker

man a broil on those coals? thats asking for trouble. i didnt know about them either and figured id give it a go. im a kingsford man.

i would have seared it, done some in-direct heat cooking with maybe a tin pan on the bottom next to the coals with some beer or water/vinegar mix. but, until you cook with them coals, you dont know what your dealing with.

funny, i had to close the vents to try and slow down the heat/fire too which i didnt mind b/c i had hickory chips in there. but i was cooking 2 filets, etc, not a freakin broil!

and charcoal starters? man that stuff is for single moms.

you should try those natural charcoal chunks i grilled with last weekend. ALOT OF FUN if you like playing with the grill like me. they have some french writing on them so that kinda sucks right there. takes a good 30 mins or more to get it going, needs constant supervision but burns like a champ and you can always add more as your going so you can bbq all day, not just a one time window like with briquets.

those competition briquets are for straight steak cooking. burns hot and hard so you get a great sear to it, grill marks.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #41
firstdown
Living Legend

Well the broil came out great but I was just caught off guard by the new kingsford coals. I don't buy real big London Broils because I think the smaller ones are more tender and marinate better.I use natural hardwood coals called cowboy charcoal Cowboy Charcoal Co. which is also a hot coal which is good for steaks. I think the problem I had with the kingsford is that I let them get too hot from the start. I know now not to leave the grill open while they finish lighting or to cover them for a few minutes before throwing on stuff like chicken.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #42
FRPLG
MVP

I rarely use briquettes. If I do I use hardwood. If its a steak/burger/chicken/fish I use just hardwood charcoal and if it's a longer cooking I'll use combo of the charcoal and the hardwood briquettes.

I guess I use Kingsford for hot dogs when tailgating.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #43
mredskins
MVP

I use propane it does the trick and fast!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #44
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I use propane it does the trick and fast!
If you see mine and over the mountains post its more about getting out in the yard drinking a few drinks and cooking out. I have a gas grill which I use but I enjoy grilling out and playing around fire, food, and booze.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #45
saden1
MVP

Love propane grills...if you want wood flavors buy barbecue wood chips.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote