Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Rams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Did he have an NFL Offense Player of the Week game? :cheeky-sm
For one drive he did

Advertisements
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Rex: As has been said, for 3 quarters today he did just enough to win. But he had a bad 4th, what with the bad throws, 1 for a pick and 1 on third down. But when it was all said and done he had another average day today and his bad spots came in critical moments. I don't think a qb change will solve anything but he's certainly not playing consistent yet. We're just going to have to put up with this all season, and hopefully next year we'll have our franchise quarterback.

Special teams, minus Gano and Rocca. Perry Riley and Niles Paul, both of them need to learn you have to give the returner the opportunity to field the ball before you light him up. We know they're going to call the defenseless receiver this year if you don't give them the opportunity, and both of them were just too eager to light the guy up. Love the enthusiasm but they gotta slow their role a little bit to give the returner time to catch him, then they can light him up all they want.

Also concerning special teams, Brandon Banks. I think partial blame needs to go to our special teams for their ineffective blocking, but Banks needs to know when it's time to return it and when it's time to fair catch it. He's had a serious lack of big plays this season, and it minimizes his value considering that's all he brings to the table.

Also we really shot ourselves in the foot with all the penalties today. I know the fans are going to jump on D.Hall for his penalty down in our red zone, but that was another bad call by the refs. Both D.Hall and the Rams wideout were playing like they both thought the Rams' wideout didn't step out of bounds, so what was D.Hall supposed to do? Just let him go? Come on refs, that one's not on D.Hall. But the bad calls by the refs went both ways today, especially on the punt that they downed inside our 5 yard line that was called a touchback. But our sloppy play today definitely could've cost us.

Tim Hightower: Don't wanna pile on too much here, but given the way Torain really came out and seized his opportunity today the more inneffective he is running the ball the less PT he's gonna see.

And finally, the playcalling. Specifically, the 0 blitz on defense and the bootlegging on offense. We get it, you like to run the bootleg Kyle S. But it's not effective when you keep running it all the time. And the 0 blitz has been effective, except when it's obvious it's coming on 3rd down. We shied away from it at the end of the game today, but like the bootleg it's only useful in limited application.

Last edited by mooby; 10-02-2011 at 05:19 PM.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallin21 View Post
Penalties: Most of them were BS. Anytime a Punt Returner doesn't fair catch (TWICE), you're asking to get hit. Not worried about those. In general, the NFL is becoming a soft league. If it looks bad, It's gonna be a flag.
I agree with this. The punt returner has one way to defend himself. It's called a fair catch.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I lol'd.

I usually check out CSN's post game.
Me too. But I went straight to the gym as soon as the game ended, so I'm listening on my iPhone with the espn radio app. Sam has been bad for a while now, but I had forgotten until today.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
saden1
MVP

Someone should tell Kyle Rex can't win games for you by throwing the ball...this is specially true when you have the lead.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Someone should tell Kyle Rex can't win games for you by throwing the ball...this is specially true when you have the lead.
I've been trying, but no one at Redskins Park seems to be lurking.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
This. Kyle doesn't get it, QBs aren't interchangeable -- Rex is not good enough to win the game for you (or even come through in clutch situations). You can't put the game in his hands, he'll kind of, sort of be able to manage it but that's it.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
over the mountain
Playmaker

i personally dont trust rex' decision making on 3rd downs. i think it was 3rd down with 6:23 or so to go in the second quarter, rex got some pressure scrambled alil bit and threw a ball to moss who was heavily covered barely missing an int. even if moss had caught it, it was short of the 1st down marker.

i know rex said he threw some balls away on the 1st half and that contributed to his low completion percentage but on 3rd down i think he forces things, even if its to a guy double covered short of the 1st down marker . .

also this is 2 weeks in a row he threw a ball right to a linebacker who had dropped back into covergae (lee last week). he said on his 2nd pick today that they did a staple PA pass and the mike lb bit hard and even though the mike lb hit hard he has to be aware that the mike lb could be fast enough to get back but still, 2 weeks in a row he doesnt account for a lb dropping back

also should he say what plays are a staple of our offense? its only week 4. reminds me of zorn where he would lay out his total thinking and philosophy on specific plays during his postgame the first few games he was here
Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Rex and KS
Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i personally dont trust rex' decision making on 3rd downs. i think it was 3rd down with 6:23 or so to go in the second quarter, rex got some pressure scrambled alil bit and threw a ball to moss who was heavily covered barely missing an int. even if moss had caught it, it was short of the 1st down marker.

i know rex said he threw some balls away on the 1st half and that contributed to his low completion percentage but on 3rd down i think he forces things, even if its to a guy double covered short of the 1st down marker . .

also this is 2 weeks in a row he threw a ball right to a linebacker who had dropped back into covergae (lee last week). he said on his 2nd pick today that they did a staple PA pass and the mike lb bit hard and even though the mike lb hit hard he has to be aware that the mike lb could be fast enough to get back but still, 2 weeks in a row he doesnt account for a lb dropping back

also should he say what plays are a staple of our offense? its only week 4. reminds me of zorn where he would lay out his total thinking and philosophy on specific plays during his postgame the first few games he was here
I think I know the play you're talking about on that Moss pass, though I thought it was later in the game. And yeah I'm not sure what he was thinking there
Old 10-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
TenandSix:Unacceptable
Special Teams

I'm still pissed Spags didn't want the Redskins gig. What a terrific head coach he's turned out to be. Just another missed opportunity by our moribund franchise.
TenandSix:Unacceptable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenandSix:Unacceptable View Post
I'm still pissed Spags didn't want the Redskins gig. What a terrific head coach he's turned out to be. Just another missed opportunity by our moribund franchise.
Really? I'm not. We took one lame duck head coach over another. Hard to be mad about it considering we got our revenge today.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #28
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

@Russellmania980
Chris Russell
Mike Shanahan when asked if Ryan Torain will be starter vs Philly said "This will be fun. I'll play this game with you guys all week."

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #29
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
@Russellmania980
Chris Russell
Mike Shanahan when asked if Ryan Torain will be starter vs Philly said "This will be fun. I'll play this game with you guys all week."
I think it should be obvious, but we all know Shanny loves to play games with the media. Hard to see us not going with Torain considering his great day today combined with the fact he had an excellent game in our first game against Philly last year.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
@Russellmania980
Chris Russell
I'm sure he's just as delighted as we are that Torain ran over the Rams defense this game -- we actually have a legit stable of starting RBs

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote