Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Springs, Washington, and Griffin...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
GoSkins!
The Starter

Springs, Washington, and Griffin...

...could be released next year to trim 14 million from the cap. They play great when healthy, and I love them all, but they each miss games because of injuries fairly regularly. Do you guys (and girls) think that they could do anything this year on the field that could convince management to keep them (barring a salary cut)?

I think it would take a Pro Bowl for Springs. Washington and Griffin would have to play amazing down the stretch and in the post season.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Springs, Washington, and Griffin...

I think they are pretty close to done but still can help this year espically Springs. Each one has the next guy in line to take over them. Spring = Rogers, Washington = Blades, Griffin= Montgery/ goldstein.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
WillH
The Starter

Springs is still a shutdown corner . . . as long as he doesn't miss significant time I don't see them letting him go.

Washington has already missed quite a bit, and his play is mediocre right now. I could see this being his last year.

Not sure about Griffen
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

We'll have some tough decisions to make next year but let's cross that bridge when the time comes.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

I'll never turn down a chance to talk salary cap and the Redskins future, but with that said, I'm all about enjoying the team as currently comprised right now.

Ride Springs until he's an old man like Darrell Green was. He does get hurt sometimes (though not too often), but when the guy plays he totally neutralizes opposing WRs. I'd extend the guy, to be quite honest. Extending him will actually cut his cap number a bit.

On Washington, I do think it's time to let him go next season. He's chronically bothered by injuries and is clearly a liability in coverage. HB Blades appears to be on an upward learning curve, it may be time to let him start next season. Our ability to do this, of course, hinges upon our ability to replace Marcus with adequate depth next season.

On Griffin, very tough call. He hasn't been the disruptive force he was in 2004 for a number of reasons, but he's still the anchor of a very good run defense. I'm in wait and see mode with him. Still a strong player for us when on the field, I'd try to find a way to keep him at a lower cap figure.

But hey, they're Redskins now, and they're 4-1. Gotta love em.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'll never turn down a chance to talk salary cap and the Redskins future, but with that said, I'm all about enjoying the team as currently comprised right now.

Ride Springs until he's an old man like Darrell Green was. He does get hurt sometimes (though not too often), but when the guy plays he totally neutralizes opposing WRs. I'd extend the guy, to be quite honest. Extending him will actually cut his cap number a bit.

On Washington, I do think it's time to let him go next season. He's chronically bothered by injuries and is clearly a liability in coverage. HB Blades appears to be on an upward learning curve, it may be time to let him start next season. Our ability to do this, of course, hinges upon our ability to replace Marcus with adequate depth next season.

On Griffin, very tough call. He hasn't been the disruptive force he was in 2004 for a number of reasons, but he's still the anchor of a very good run defense. I'm in wait and see mode with him. Still a strong player for us when on the field, I'd try to find a way to keep him at a lower cap figure.

I think it's time for Washington to go next year as well. I love the guy but he just can't stay healthy anymore. Plus Blades is ready. I'm not sure if he's a strongside backer but he seems to fill in quite nicely when Marcus is out. But Springs and Griff are keepers IMO.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
horse
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

Though not to often? Where have you been hiding I love Springs and we are so much better with him than without, But he is always hurt for the gayest reasons, I just pray he's healthy for the big games. I do think he should stay though.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
jbcjr14
The Starter

I am on board with the Griffin and Washington releases (if needed) but I do think SS has some gas left in the tank and could also move to safety and continue to contribute.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Griff seems like to type of guy where you really don't know he's there until he's out of the lineup. He doesn't dominate but he seems to hold it down against the run. I don't trust Goldson and Montgomery as our full time starters. We still need Griff.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I'd certainly keep Griff, but with a restructure. Hell, given our wizard-like powers of restructuring, we probably could keep them all, if we wanted. Marcus's chronic injuries are a bummer. He may be out of the league if he can't get healthy. But there's hope yet, I suppose.

Agree about Springs.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I'm just enjoying this season right now, i'll think about who we sign and release after the SB
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
53Fan
Franchise Player

If they finished the rest, or major part of the season strong and healthy, what would the feeling be then? I'll let it play out till the end of the season when there is a better understanding of where they're at, then state an opinion. I can't speculate on what their future health or performance will be. They've all been great players for us at some point, but chronic injury problems can send anyone packing. I hope they all return to form, but who knows?
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I don't see Griffin going next season unless we use our first rounder at that position, in which case he might get cut after the draft.

Washington might be kept on for depth reasons, but I do think Springs is a goner (note: I said this in 2006 and 2007 as well).
Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I do think the correct move would be to get rid of Washington. Springs, I would cut his final year, and attempt to resign him at a cheaper salary, rather than giving him 7+ million in guarenteed money to extend him.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I do think the correct move would be to get rid of Washington. Springs, I would cut his final year, and attempt to resign him at a cheaper salary, rather than giving him 7+ million in guarenteed money to extend him.
Good luck with that. IMO there are plenty of teams in the league who would jump at the chance to pay Springs a $10 million signing bonus and have him lock down a CB spot for 3 years.

Sometimes as a front office, you have to admit when the player has the financial leverage. Springs does. He's the friggin man and he's still in tremendous shape.