Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Tony McGee- Redskins @ Giants Week 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Tony McGee- Redskins @ Giants Week 1

Hello Everyone,

Good to be back for another season. Unfournatley for the second straight year it's not starting off the right way with a loss @ New York. It does need to be understood that New York is a very talented football team, and this was a very tough game for the Redskins. There is a lot that the Redskins can look at both offensively and defensively and hopefully get on a better track this week.

Offensively, the team has no identity yet. Jim Zorn needs to look at the West Coast Offense and tweak it to suit the players that he has on the team. The Redskins cannot decide if they want to be a west coast team, a smash mouth Joe Gibbs type team, they don't seem to know what they're trying to do. I did not like the call after Clinton Portis rushed 36 yards and then they ran the reverse with Antwan Randel El... it was not the right point in the game, and they just seem to be very interrupted in what they're trying to do. The team needs to establish a specific type of game plan that they're trying to do, and work with the talent that they have on the team.

Defensively, I liked the performance for the most part. They still need to generate a better pass rush, I know it seems as though I've been saying that for years now, but it has to happen for them to be successful. I really liked what Albert Haynesworth did in the game, but they need to be able to get more plays out of him if necessary. The team did a great job of stopping the run, but in the passing game they obviously needed better pass rush and better coverage. I was very impressed by London Fletcher this week, he is far and away the leader of this defense and probably the leader of this football team. For a player his size, I continue to be amazed as what he is able to do on the football field. Lastly, defensively they need to be more disciplined. You can't have two guy's in your secondary taking 15 yard personal foul penalties. In a 6 point game, that could end up being the difference in the game, and those penalties will end up costing you games sooner or later.

In terms of the problems the Redskins are having stopping third downs, I think it becomes more of how they play on 1st and 2nd down. The way teams try to play is use 1st down to gain three or more yards, to make second down a little easier and use second down to make third down easier so they have different options of how to attack. If the Redskins can do a better job forcing third and long, instead of 3rd and 5 or less ... it will go a long way in helping them overall. In addition, once again the lack of a consistent pass rush, specifically from the outside will continue to hurt them in passing situations as they cannot give the quarterback time.

I don't see the Redskins making any roster moves at this point, but there are three players I would like to see the Redskins use or use differently. Marko Mitchell needs to be on the field in a real game situation so that the Redskins can see what they have in him. During the preseason, and I understand it was the preseason, he just seemed to have "it". The ability to make plays with both talent and athleticism. I really hope the Redskins give him a shot to get onto the field in the regular season, maybe even before Devin Thomas at this point, because I think he could end up really helping this team. I say almost the same thing about Marcus Mason, he has led the Skins' in the preseason the last two years, and has the ability to make big plays happen. The Redskins need to get these guys onto the field so that they can accurately assess the type of talent they have sitting on the bench. These next few weeks maybe a great time to do this. Finally, I'd like for them to decide what is the best way to use Brian Orakpo during his rookie season. Whatever is easier for him, is where he should be playing right now. If it is easier for him to be a down linemen and just rush the passer, I feel like that he will be better off this season if they can commit to one position. I'd like to see him rushing from the outside.

Looking ahead to St. Louis this week, the first thing I do is pull out the film from last year and see what they did to beat you. The loss to the Rams is really what started the Redskins downfall in 2008. They won the next two games against bad teams very ugly, and fell apart after that. The loss to the Rams was the beginning of the end. The Rams won on a fluke play with Kendall fumbling the ball... but it was the Redskins fault that they let the Rams hang around all game long. The next three weeks the Redskins need to have the same game plan. Offensively, they need to establish their offensive identify early. Run the football, take some shots downfield, keep Chris Cooley involved and let teams know that they are here to attack and score points. If they can generate that type of an identify early, it could be a long day for some teams... but if they dont do that, and teams hang around, thats how they will get beat. Defensively, they need to get to the quarterback early and continue to apply pressure. They play three teams in three weeks that they should beat in St Louis, Detroit and Tampa Bay. However if they allow any of these teams to hang around, they could run into a situation like they did against St. Louis in 2008.

################################################## ###
Be sure to watch Tony McGee's Pro Football Plus

Wednesday 11:00 pm - 11:30 pm

Friday 10:30 pm - 11:00 pm

Saturday 10:30 am - 11:00 am

Tony McGee's NFL career started in 1971 where he was a starting defensive end for the Chicago Bears. In 1974, Tony began a 7 year stint with the New England Patriots and earned the nickname, "Mac the Sack." His unique ability to swarm opposing quarterbacks helped coin the phrase, "designated pass rusher." Tony's career as a Washington Redskin began in 1982, and included a Super Bowl championship. Tony ended his spectacular career in 1985 with 106 career sacks and played in over 200 games -- a feat achieved only by a select group of NFL defensive linemen.
For more information visit REDMAGPLUS.COM
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Tony McGee- Redskins @ Giants Week 1

Good to have Tony back to review another season with us.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Great stuff. Always love to here Tony's reviews. Thanks alot.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

I'd like to see Marko Mitchell get his number called early in this game against the Rams, send him deep and let it fly.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'd like to see Marko Mitchell get his number called early in this game against the Rams, send him deep and let it fly.
That would bring joy to my heart.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Tony Also Wanted Me to Pass Along that he is now on Facebook:

Login | Facebook
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote