Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

We've cut it real close two weeks in a row

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

We've cut it real close two weeks in a row

Last week, we had a critical 4th down conversion to Moss early last week against the Giants. We went on to score on that drive.

This week, we scored a touchdown with that throw from Grossman to Moss in the 4th quarter.

I guess one can say that Grossman can suck ass for a portion of the game, but he is ALWAYS capable of making a critical throw to help his team as well. This is something that has been sorely lacking from most of our previous QBs.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
saden1
MVP

Re: We've cut it real close two weeks in a row

I like our swagger. Unlink last year where we lost 5 games by 4pts or less we are winning the battles and finishing. Great comeback.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Watching the game today, I was on pins and needles for a portion of it because I wondered if Shanahan was going to put in Beck, after the two INT's in a row, I just thought Grossman wasn't there today mentally.

But he recovered and played a great game.

I think the difference in this team vs previous redskins games is that this team found a way to win today, everybody stepped up. The redskins of old would have for sure lost this game. They used to always lose the close ones.

One good thing about Rex is he keeps doing his thing and trying to make plays and win the game. Other QB's we've had, especially JC, would kind of regress after a boneheaded INT or something like that, and they wouldn't be any good the rest of the game.

I like what i've seen so far. The team is struggling but they are finding a way to win, something we didnt' have before.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Yeah, I am very impressed by Rexy today -- one of the picks wasn't his fault but his going for Santana in the endzone on a fourth down is big time. Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but some of his throws are like 20-30 yard lasers -- I had no idea Sexy Rexy had, dare I say it, kind of a cannon for an arm.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Watching the game today, I was on pins and needles for a portion of it because I wondered if Shanahan was going to put in Beck, after the two INT's in a row, I just thought Grossman wasn't there today mentally.

But he recovered and played a great game.

I think the difference in this team vs previous redskins games is that this team found a way to win today, everybody stepped up. The redskins of old would have for sure lost this game. They used to always lose the close ones.One good thing about Rex is he keeps doing his thing and trying to make plays and win the game. Other QB's we've had, especially JC, would kind of regress after a boneheaded INT or something like that, and they wouldn't be any good the rest of the game.

I like what i've seen so far. The team is struggling but they are finding a way to win, something we didnt' have before.

Hell yeah, agree with all that. Even though i was throwing sh*t and in an emotional rage, I still felt like we had a chance to win. After we won, I felt a little bored. This team is much better, poise-wise

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Yeah, I am very impressed by Rexy today -- one of the picks wasn't his fault but his going for Santana in the endzone on a fourth down is big time. Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but some of his throws are like 20-30 yard lasers -- I had no idea Sexy Rexy had, dare I say it, kind of a cannon for an arm.
I remember when Rex was coming to the NFL there were a lot of people comparing him to Jeff George in terms of arm strength, and unfortunatley at times during his career, he resembled Jeff George in brain too.

But no joke I always knew his arm was huge and I think that kind of got forgotten when we had the "good rex" and "bad rex" moments during 2006.

But i can't seriously remember the last time we have had a QB with a rifle arm and willing to take shots downfield. Mark Rypien had a cannon for an arm, I don't know who else recently besides Jeff George in 2000. Brunell could throw bombs when he was healthy. JC had a big arm but was afraid to throw downfield. Good to see the redskins throw some deep passes after so many years of run, run, run, punt.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

I don't consider Rex's arm to be in elite company strength wise. His ball velocity does not compare to a Cutler, for example. That throw to Davis could have been even more productive if he got some more mustard on it. What compensates for this is his decisiveness with the ball.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

I hope we can stop hearing about this good Rex/bad Rex stuff soon. Yeah he makes mistakes at times, who doesn't? He doesn't get down and he just keeps plugging away. He's a great fit for this offense. He's definitely matured from his time in Chicago.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
I don't consider Rex's arm to be in elite company strength wise. His ball velocity does not compare to a Cutler, for example. That throw to Davis could have been even more productive if he got some more mustard on it. What compensates for this is his decisiveness with the ball.
His arm definitely isn't all that great. He tends to lob some up at times, and his deep throws leave something to be desired, but overall he's got more than enough arm to get the job done.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I hope we can stop hearing about this good Rex/bad Rex stuff soon. Yeah he makes mistakes at times, who doesn't? He doesn't get down and he just keeps plugging away. He's a great fit for this offense. He's definitely matured from his time in Chicago.
I think so too. I won't lie, I was a bit worried the picks may keep on rolling. Rex showed a lot of poise against an improved AZ defense. I think one thing people forget to mention is our pass-pro doesn't seem to look the best. They looked a bit better this game, but overall they have struggled over the last two weeks. I am more concerned about the oline play than Rex, especially against teams like the Jets. Twilliams looked a bit better, however.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

I thought the pass pro was pretty good today, especially with how blitz happy the Cards are.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You took the words out of my mouth. The good Rex/bad Rex thing is so played. Everytime he throws and int it's supposed to confirm something bad. It's beyond silly. All Qbs throw interceptions. He's clearly a different QB.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Rex has gotten better, but he still will make a dumb throw every now and then i.e. the forced throw the first drive of the game.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Rex has gotten better, but he still will make a dumb throw every now and then i.e. the forced throw the first drive of the game.
He's more efficient I would say. And one of those ints wasn't on him.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

props to the dragon today his two picks sucked especially down inthe redzone, but he was under alot of pressure today and hurried...i was impressed overall with how he dealt
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote