Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Taylor Effing Heinicke

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Next year Taylor Heinicke will be...
Starting QB for the WFT 15 23.08%
Solid backup for the WFT 33 50.77%
Starter or backup for another team 2 3.08%
I have no clue 15 23.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #511
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Taylor Effing Heinicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

Im trying to stay medium w Heinike.

Yesterday was his best pocket passer game imo. Didnt rack up the yards, aided by a run game but he was making quicker on time throws.

There were only a few drop backs where he froze with indecision. For the most part, it seems like we ran the plays in our weekly game plan for the first time this year.

Happy to see Heinike being coachable. I honestly didnt think he would improve his game and thought hed go back and do even more backyard football .. but he hasnt.

Hopefully these past 2 games arent just blips.
Staying medium might be Jim Zorn's lasting contribution to this world. I say it all the time lol.

My only complaint with Heinicke at the moment is that occasionally he has these plays where he freezes and takes the sack because he isn't decisive enough.

Advertisements
Old 11-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #512
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Hopefully we avoid another Kirk situation.
I'd jump of the Coronado bridge if they have to franchise this guy because they went into 2022 season with a wait and see attitude.

If he is the guy, you extend his contract at the end of the season.
If he is just another Colt McCoy type backup(Colt had a big win yesterday against SEA), you extend him for modest money and draft QBs till you get it right.

Heinicke is an awesome player at $1m per year and I would love to have him as a backup.
Well, Bruce is gone so no matter what happens I don't think that is going to happen again.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:04 PM   #513
ODUWFT
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
Makes me laugh when people are so quick to judge on a small sample size. It's clear from his physical talents he's capable of being a good #2 but he won't be a long term starter anywhere. However, to judge whether he's worth keeping around long term as a fixture @ #2 lets give him more than a little over 1/2 a season to show what he can do shall we?
Makes me laugh when people criticize someone for a post then write the exact same post that made them laugh but with their spin. What do you think you are doing! lol Your taking a small sample size and making a judgement that it is CLEAR he isnt a long term starter! Also realize not all of us have a small sample size some of us watched him up close for 4 years.

Sure the odds are he isnt the long term elite starter or for that matter just an average long term starter because it is difficult.

But realize any point you make that he isnt someone can make a point that they think he is at this point. The only thing your looking at is arm strength because he has some elite physical skills other then the arm. What makes me laugh is so many posters get hung up on arm strength.

I keep hearing accuracy and mention of missed throws, sorry the 66% completion dont support that conclusion. So much more then just arm strength goes into being a good QB, so much more!

Last edited by ODUWFT; 11-22-2021 at 09:28 PM.
ODUWFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #514
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUWFT View Post
Makes me laugh when people criticize someone for a post then write the exact same post that made them laugh but with their spin. What do you think you are doing! lol Your taking a small sample size and making a judgement that it is CLEAR he isnt a long term starter! Also realize not all of us have a small sample size some of us watched him up close for 4 years.

Sure the odds are he isnt the long term elite starter or for that matter just an average long term starter because it is difficult.

But realize any point you make that he isnt someone can make a point that they think he is at this point. The only thing your looking at is arm strength because he has some elite physical skills other then the arm. What makes me laugh is so many posters get hung up on arm strength.

I keep hearing accuracy and mention of missed throws, sorry the 66% completion dont support that conclusion. So much more then just arm strength goes into being a good QB, so much more!
Taylor is that you?

He could be the long term solution - but in order for that to happen he has to be consistently above-average. The last two weeks is a good start but he needs to keep it going. And if he goes into next season as the starter and regresses again he loses all that goodwill he got from this year.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:18 PM   #515
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I couldn’t figure out who Taylor looked like, but I placed it today. TH looks like a short Chipper Jones. Lil Chip

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #516
skinsfan69
Living Legend

If TH keeps playing well, or his play keeps trending upward then it makes things real difficult this offseason. You still have to draft a QB no matter what. The question is - when?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #517
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
If TH keeps playing well, or his play keeps trending upward then it makes things real difficult this offseason. You still have to draft a QB no matter what. The question is - when?
One thing I'd eliminate right off the bat is drafting a QB in the 1st under any circumstances (Even if we had no QBs at all on the roster going into the draft) - that would be a waste of draft capital given the QB talent in the 2022 draft.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #518
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I wouldn't count it out. If you want the best QB, you might have to get him in the first. My guess is there will be more than one QB taken in the first round, even if the assessment is that it's a weak QB class.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #519
SunnySide
Playmaker

I want to see how he looks by years end. He had some bad games going into the bye then 2 good games out of it.

He has 2 major issues imo. Reading/anticipation and arm strength.

Read and throwing with anticipation - this is something that can be improved on with coaching and time. These past 2 games he starting to get the ball out on time to the correct intended receiver. Will this continue or will he revert back to hold, hesitate then scramble.

medium to deep throws - this is something he cant improve on. His arm is limited. it does effect our play book. Any long air balls are 50/50 lobs to Terry (or he throws it out of bounds). He was bottom 5 in air yard per completion coming into the bye, now hes middle of the pack. he can hit some medium throws.

I want to see how the season plays out but right now Im doubtful and dont think he will be in the league in 2-3 years.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #520
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

There’s no place that’s more apparent during this mini-surge for Washington, now 4-6 and one game out of the wild-card spot, than Heinicke’s red zone production.

Washington’s offense moved the ball into opposing territory frequently during its recent four-game losing streak, but labored converting promising drives into points. Heinicke completed 7 of 16 passes with zero touchdown passes and two interceptions. Out of 33 quarterbacks, only Jared Goff, the starter for the winless Lions, had a lower QB rating than Heinicke’s 11.5.

Since Week 10, Heinicke has completed 6 of 7 passes, including three for touchdowns with scoring strikes of 6 and 12 yards at Carolina. His 130.1 rating in that span topped all quarterbacks with at least two appearances (entering Monday night).

The Athletic
Old 11-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #521
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Accuracy wavers for Heinicke, an undersized passer not blessed with a strong right arm. Yet he completed 42 of 52 passes for four touchdowns and zero interceptions in the past two wins, including 16 of 22 at Carolina. His completion percentage above expectation, 19.5, topped all Week 11 quarterbacks through Sunday, per Next Gen Stats

“(Heinicke) is just a guy who plays to win it,” Panthers cornerback and former teammate Donte Jackson said. “He really competed today and it was nice. I was very impressed.”

Though Heinicked finished with only 206 yards — Washington gashed Carolina for 190 rushing yards — he remained aggressive. His 12.5 average intended air yards led all quarterbacks this week.

“He’s going out there and has full grasp of the offense,” Carter said. “He’s letting it rip.”
Old 11-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #522
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUWFT View Post

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. Or I didn't use enough words...

He looks perfectly capable of starting and I think he can be a long term solution at #2 (which is after all why they re-signed him) because he knows how to play and has some intangibles that are highly desirable. BUT without a cannon, he's always going to be measured against some strong armed kid coming out of college and if that kid has similar intangibles, he'll get the starting gig over TH. It's simple; if you need your QB to put the ball on a dime with an out route in a key situation, you need a guy with a cannon. If you need to be able to execute a Hail Mary outside your opponents 45 you need a guy with a cannon. If you need to execute a quick fire timed passing attack against a tough defense, you need a guy with a cannon. That's just the way the NFL is, very few guys with weak arms survive very long as starters.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #523
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I couldn’t figure out who Taylor looked like, but I placed it today. TH looks like a short Chipper Jones. Lil Chip
I was thinking the kid from We are the millers but I can see Chipper.

jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #524
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

You guys are getting paid?

I used to think that movie was stupid AF but it's grown on me.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #525
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I was thinking the kid from We are the millers but I can see Chipper.

Good call

But can TH pull a “Chipper” which is fuck a Hooters waitress, while married, and have a love child? Then the Larry Jones circle is complete.

Hittin a hooters waitress with the pole was every man goal when living in the 90s.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote