Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Haskins Threat 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Haskins heading into next season?
Promising, he looks like he could be a player 43 72.88%
Still on the fence 15 25.42%
He's a bust 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #46
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: The Haskins Threat 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Zampese was a great under the radar hire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know he had name recognition and his father was a legend, but man, he has been part of some tremendous offenses and qb's (and then Cleveland ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Zampese

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #47
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I know he had name recognition and his father was a legend, but man, he has been part of some tremendous offenses and qb's (and then Cleveland ):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Zampese
Not saying its a bad hire but the only name that jumped out to me was Carson.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #48
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Not saying its a bad hire but the only name that jumped out to me was Carson.
More so his early career with Green Bay and Favre and during St Louis' greatest show on Turf he was the wide receivers coach (2001) and passing game (2002) coordinator. In Cincinnati what struck me was that he worked with 2 separate rookie qb's that had long productive careers. I think track record wise, you could do a LOT worse.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #49
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Inconsistent accuracy. He can be pinpoint accurate on one throw then just miss on another. He said this is something that coaching cant really fix which surprised me bc I think w mechanics and coaching that should be a thing you could improve over time.
Believe me, that is definitely coachable. How he takes the coaching is the question. Hearsay seems to indicate he's coachable, so I think the new staff will fix that.

What I'm looking for is the ability to see the throw that breaks the game open, like good (great?) QBs can. I don't agree with those that say instincts can't be learnt, but he has to show he's learning them. Are those tight throws into coverage a sign he's learning the fine margins of gh e NFL, or just bad plays?...
Old 01-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #50
Warthog
The Starter

Haskins had two outstanding last games. That's with a patchwork OL, crappy offensive ideas of Callahan, and no TE of any value. I also think at the end of the season, Callahan started to loosen the restraints on KOC. But still there was too much of his "run-first" philosophy, which really handicapped Haskins and the offense.

So, what do we have to look forward to in 2020? Return of Scherff, Flowers and probably Trent Williams. Addition of a FA OT to replace Moses, a draft pick to upgrade the C. So the OL will be MUCH better in 2020. Then you'll see a NFL-current passing offense run by Scott Turner, instead of Callahan's Jurassic style of play. They'll have McLaurin at WR #1, Steven Sims at slot and probably a very good FA at WR#2 with Harmon as the backup. Of much importance, is the addition of a premium FA TE, such as Hooper - who can block AND catch. The addition of a very good TE will really improve the offense - especially in the red zone.

I think you'll see a big improvement in Haskins, as he extends the big improvement from those last 2 games. The offense will be limited only by Scott Turner's imagination and Haskins growth. At that point, we can ask all the doubters who thought Haskins was a bust after a couple games or those who wanted for him to sit for a whole season or more - what do you say now?

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 01-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #51
Ohioskins
Special Teams

People seem to forget, he beat out Joe Burrows fair and square at OSU. And in 2018, Haskins numbers dwarfed Burrows performance. Haskins threw for 50 touchdowns which is unheard at OSU and set virtually every Big Ten passing record. He is a very talented QB, who has a great attitude. Gruden treated him like dog crap and it showed when he was thrown out onto the field with little to no preparation. Haskins' rough start was 100% on Gruden.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #52
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

DH IMO will look really good this upcoming season.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #53
Warthog
The Starter

The Haskins Threat 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
People seem to forget, he beat out Joe Burrows fair and square at OSU. And in 2018, Haskins numbers dwarfed Burrows performance. Haskins threw for 50 touchdowns which is unheard at OSU and set virtually every Big Ten passing record. He is a very talented QB, who has a great attitude. Gruden treated him like dog crap and it showed when he was thrown out onto the field with little to no preparation. Haskins' rough start was 100% on Gruden.

I wanted Haskins to start from Game 1 BUT his sitting on pine may have helped him. He got more humble, learned and matured from Alex Smith and learned the play book. He had to fight to improve, when MANY were tossing him under the bus after the first few games. He showed his toughness and grit for playing well hurt and getting better with less than ideal circumstances.

Almost every aspect of the offense will be better for him in 2020, especially with the addition of FA players who will instantly improve certain positions which were crap last year. Namely the return of Scherff, Flowers and Trent. Getting a good to elite TE in FA and the draft. Replacement for Moses. FA or draft pick to challenge Harmon at #2 WR. Finally and MOST important, a change in offensive philosophy with Scott Turner. 60%passes on first down instead of 80% runs. A modern passing attack versus the ridiculous and archaic run offense of Gruden/Callahan. Yeah, our offense will get better. The only thing holding it back will be Haskin’s and Turner’s growth in their positions. They will make mistakes due to their newness in their positions but they are going to get better and better!

Flyboy.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #54
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I think there is close to 0% chance that all 3 of Trent, Scherff, and Flowers come back. In fact, I'd put the odds that none of them come back as being greater than all 3. But i think both scenarios are pretty unlikely. We will most likely resign 1 or maybe 2. And if its two, it won't be both Scherff and Trent.

Personally, I think Flowers would provide us the most bang for our buck.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #55
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I think there is close to 0% chance that all 3 of Trent, Scherff, and Flowers come back. In fact, I'd put the odds that none of them come back as being greater than all 3. But i think both scenarios are pretty unlikely. We will most likely resign 1 or maybe 2. And if its two, it won't be both Scherff and Trent.

Personally, I think Flowers would provide us the most bang for our buck.
I agree, two will be back. Flowers and either Trent or Scherff. If I had to bet between all three or none, I would bet all three will be back. I think there is better chance Trent comes back for one year than Scherff getting a long term deal with top money. I can't see them giving Scherff 15 million a year for 5 years. I understand, today's over payment is next years bargain. Plus we have some young talent at his position. We have nothing at tackle. We are short the following: right tackle or swing tackle, corner back, tight end, line backer, back up quarter back, safety, possible a 3rd down back. If we draft well, we may get 2 starters. One of the starters will be at a position that we already have players.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:54 PM   #56
Warthog
The Starter

The Haskins Threat 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRedskins View Post
I agree, two will be back. Flowers and either Trent or Scherff. If I had to bet between all three or none, I would bet all three will be back. I think there is better chance Trent comes back for one year than Scherff getting a long term deal with top money. I can't see them giving Scherff 15 million a year for 5 years. I understand, today's over payment is next years bargain. Plus we have some young talent at his position. We have nothing at tackle. We are short the following: right tackle or swing tackle, corner back, tight end, line backer, back up quarter back, safety, possible a 3rd down back. If we draft well, we may get 2 starters. One of the starters will be at a position that we already have players.

If Bruce Allen was still in charge, he’d probably let all three go. But there are now adults and NFL-savvy pros making the decisions. Sure Scherff is going to be expensive, but the difference between the Redskins (Allen’s) first offer ($13 mil/yr) and top OG pay is just $2 mill/yr. He’s worth it. He wants to stay and it’s not that much more to keep him.

The key to this year’s off-season will be the dumping/trading of a great deal of dead weight and over-priced FA. Dump or trade Norman, Richardson, Keenum, McCoy, Reed, Davis, Thompson, Moses, Penn, and re-structure or trade Kerrigan. This gets us over $50 mill or more in cap space to hire new FA.

Flowers will be reasonable and he’ll be easily worth the money. Trent just wants guaranteed money and he can be enticed back by RR. Getting Flowers, Trent and Scherff solidifies the OL. Martin can go for Moses spot or for C. The team will draft at least one OT in the draft and another one or two in UDFA. With Kyle Smith’s laser vision we will likely get a starter from the draft or UDFA to replace Moses or go for C. That way we have a balance of costly FA players (Scherff/Williams) and cheap draftees & FA (Flowers/ Martin/ one or two new draftee and/or UDFA).

The thing you’ve got to remember is that Trent and Brandon Scherff are very good to Pro Bowl level talent. Trent has 2-3 good years in his tank. We know what we have with them. You can’t just let that walk and expect to replace them easily at that high level.

My prediction is that the Redskins have 50% chance of signing 2 of the 3 -Flowers, Scherff and Williams and 50% chance of resigning ALL THREE. Let’s see who’s right in the next few months.

Many were super pessimistic over Haskins ( sitting him the whole season, calling him a total bust after a couple games) or firing Bruce (whether he could ever be dumped) or whether Snyder could ever change (giving up power to a HC). Its time to be optimistic- I think we’ll see Flowers resigned, Scherff resigned and possibly Trent brought back.

Flyboy.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:44 AM   #57
EdmundDorf
The Starter

It is relevant to remember that the Panthers let Norwell hit the open market to sign a top of the market deal at Guard with the Jags, so as many of the same people are now running the Redskins, including a key salary cap guy, they may not be inclined to pay Scherrf any more than Bruce was

By the way, McCoy,Keenum, Davis and others are free agents so there is no money to be saved because we can't cut them. While they can save up $50m on the cap by making cuts, that relies on outright cutting/trading TW and RK....
Old 01-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #58
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
DH IMO will look really good this upcoming season.
I 100% agree, a full off season as the starter, McLaurin Sims and Harmon developing, the addition of a new TE (or 2), Love, Guice, and Peterson running the ball, and the defense improving will all go towards helping him

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #59
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

DH got better as the year went. Hopefully he continues in that direction in 2020

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #60
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Better look

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread