Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skins getting heat again over name issue

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the pending Redskins name change?
It’s time, the name is offensive 4 9.52%
I’m tired of hearing about it so change it 17 40.48%
Keep the name at all costs 16 38.10%
No strong opinion either way 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2020, 12:48 PM   #361
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Skins getting heat again over name issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Here's where we're losing touch with facts and history.

[/B]

https://406mtsports.com/football/was...713ee3997.html
Yes, I knew that the logo was designed by a NA and I always thought the logo was done in honor and respect (vs the indians Chief Wahoo .. which is clearly an offensive characture).

I think my main point on this issue is that its not clear cut imo. For every article or NA who says its offensive, you can find one that says the opposite. Puts me in an uncomfortable spot bc i am not a NA so I dont think I have a say so in whether the term "redskins" is offensive. I do think it did not start as a slur but it did evolve into one.

You point to the NA high school that is called "redskins". I can point to the the principal of one of these, Red Mesa High School in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona, said that use of the word outside American Indian communities should be avoided because it could perpetuate "the legacy of negativity that the term has created".
------------------

There is no consensus.

Advertisements
Old 07-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #362
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Yes, I knew that the logo was designed by a NA and I always thought the logo was done in honor and respect (vs the indians Chief Wahoo .. which is clearly an offensive characture).

I think my main point on this issue is that its not clear cut imo. For every article or NA who says its offensive, you can find one that says the opposite. Puts me in an uncomfortable spot bc i am not a NA so I dont think I have a say so in whether the term "redskins" is offensive. I do think it did not start as a slur but it did evolve into one.

You point to the NA high school that is called "redskins". I can point to the the principal of one of these, Red Mesa High School in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona, said that use of the word outside American Indian communities should be avoided because it could perpetuate "the legacy of negativity that the term has created".
------------------

There is no consensus.
The high school in Manteo NC (home of Virginia Dare and the Lost Colony) is the Manteo High School Redskins.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #363
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

There is no consensus but multiple NAtive Americans polling with overwhelming strong majority that say the name isn’t offensive. I don’t care what white people think because they are so emotionally unhinged and unresponsive to hard data and facts...fuck them

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #364
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
There is no consensus but multiple NAtive Americans polling with overwhelming strong majority that say the name isn’t offensive. I don’t care what white people think because they are so emotionally unhinged and unresponsive to hard data and facts...fuck them
How hard do you punch down on the keyboard when you type?

We agree on 3 things.

1. There is no consensus
2. It doesnt matter what non NA think
3. You paint with a very large brush

(I assume you are referring to the Wash Po survey. After looking into it .. it only required people to "self identify" as some part NA. When the census allowed people to pick more than 1 category for race, there was a large increase in people "self identifying" as NA ..... but these are waters we already travelled pages ago on here)

------------

edit -- I honestly think Snyder will not be changing the name this year. PR move to say its being considered, form some committees .. then hope it goes away in time.

Last edited by SunnySide; 07-07-2020 at 02:28 PM.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #365
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Most polls I've seen are 90-95% of NA either support or are indifferent.

There have always been stray tribes and activists protesting the Redskins going back for decades but it's never been a number like the media leads people to believe.

I never used my own Native American heritage to get a handout or step up in schooling, jobs or politics...and I'm a LOT more than 1/1,024th Indian. I have the nose to prove it.

My Great Grandmother was full or near-full-blooded Cherokee Indian...and I'm a lifelong Redskins fan since early childhood. I've embraced the team's identity as honoring, not disparaging.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #366
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Guy's your letting facts and truth get in you way of thinking. You have to think out side of the box and think of the few others this offends. Its a crises and we can make the world right again by just changing the name. Then all of the oppressed Indians will prosper and live happy successful lives. See how easy that was.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #367
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
Guy's your letting facts and truth get in you way of thinking. You have to think out side of the box and think of the few others this offends. Its a crises and we can make the world right again by just changing the name. Then all of the oppressed Indians will prosper and live happy successful lives. See how easy that was.

Nah what’s important is white people not having to live oppressed lives because of the nickname of a football team. Quit crying as if this is somehow ruining your life.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #368
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I'd say the Eskimo refers to the ice cream being cold. When have you ever heard anyone claim to be offended by an Eskimo Pit ice cream sandwich? Or pancake mix? Or a band name (Lady Antebellum)? Or Uncle Ben's rice? Gone with the Wind? College kids doing alligator arms at a Gators football game? The Texas Rangers baseball team, named after law enforcement? Hell, there's a real petition circulating in Ohio to rename the town of Columbus "Flavortown". In California, they passed a law saying that the word "manhole" is illegal, they're now to be called "maintenance holes". I'm waiting for Blacksmiths and Blacktoppers to be banned.

It's like The Onion's craziest stories are reality now.

These things are not being attacked because they were designed to be racist or even because people are legitimately offended, there's just a power trip right now by a segment of the population intent on "fundamentally transforming America", or in other words...destroying its history.

Did you hear about UVA's "racist" sword logo? Now wavy lines are racist!

https://www.cavalierdaily.com/articl...rpentine-walls

MD...add this to the list traffic signal thingys

The Unintentional Racism Found in Traffic Signals

https://level.medium.com/the-uninten...s-b2899c34fefb

I thought it was satire...nope

He Gets Us
Old 07-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #369
rocnrik
Playmaker

Who do I need to apologize to for being born white ? Has COVID 19 made everybody insane ?
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #370
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Who do I need to apologize to for being born white ? Has COVID 19 made everybody insane ?

Who said you need to apologize for being born white? I think you are missing the larger point no? It is a time of change for persecuted groups ie blacks, native Americans etc. You are not, nor were you ever the persecuted one. Why do you feel like you are?
Old 07-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #371
rocnrik
Playmaker

Quote:
Referring to this ...it’s just getting very toxic ..I get on here because I love the team .. nobody knows anything about anybody else except we all love the team .. it just seems like certain guys can get on here and tell people to shut the fuck up .. and then say fuck white people.. I say WTF is up with all that nonsense ? Does anybody moderate at all and can you just say anything ? Maybe I’m to damn old to deal with this nonsense ..
Old 07-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #372
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Referring to this ...it’s just getting very toxic ..I get on here because I love the team .. nobody knows anything about anybody else except we all love the team .. it just seems like certain guys can get on here and tell people to shut the fuck up .. and then say fuck white people.. I say WTF is up with all that nonsense ? Does anybody moderate at all and can you just say anything ? Maybe I’m to damn old to deal with this nonsense ..

Hard to read into blurbs on a chat sight too much. Can never really gauge someones level of sincerity. Anyway there are just bigger issues than football right now. Hopefully in the not too distant future my biggest worry will be what to drink when the game starts. Lol.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #373
rocnrik
Playmaker

I deleted this ..

Last edited by rocnrik; 07-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #374
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I got a serious question .. to the Chico man or whatever he goes by ..how can a person have 25,000 post on this forum and only now realize that the name Redskins is rascist and offensive? And if it took you this long and 25,000 post to figure it out you may want to take a deep look into yourself .. I HAVE NEVER thought it was a bad name and apparently MILLIONS of people have no issue ..it’s all part of the let’s tear down the damn Country movement .. everything is offensive but it’s okay to tell white people to go fuck off .. that is the most rascist post ever made on this site ! You should be proud Chico.. by the way I joined this site the same year you did 2009 and have less than 1000 post .. you gave 25,000 post !! You need to spend a little less time on here and more on your real life social skills ..
You are not following my good man. If a very large, overwhelming majority of Native American have no problem with the Redskins name...when asked repeatedly......ask yourself, why are we here? Look around a bit...traffic signals are suddenly racist, Abe Lincoln statues must be torn down...who is telling you this silliness?

He Gets Us
Old 07-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #375
rocnrik
Playmaker

I pm’d you