Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Thread Hell

Brian Kelly will opt out of Final Season, GTripp0012 roles out the red carpet in Wash

Thread Hell

Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Brian Kelly will opt out of Final Season, GTripp0012 roles out the red carpet in

He's alright. But I'd rather have Smoot and Springs as my starters heading into the season, and then work Rogers back in as he gets healthy.

As long as we can keep Springs, I see no need for a Brian Kelly.

If we do anything at CB it should be through the draft. I'd put any free agency money towards Lance Briggs, personally. We're woefully short on talented LBs (especially young ones).

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #17
WillH
The Starter

Re: Brian Kelly will opt out of Final Season, GTripp0012 roles out the red carpet in

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Kellly is about on par w/Springs in ability, age & recent injury history. I would prefer we keep a guy who played well for us last year during tough times for him. We don't need to add another injury prone cb, if anything we need youth.

No doubt we need youth, but with bigger needs this off season this might be a viable temporary solution. Can you imagine our dime package with Springs, Kelly, Smoot, and eventually Rogers back. . . not to mention Landry!

I will say, it would probably be difficult to sign Kelly to a reasonable two year deal. At 32 he'll probably be looking for a longer contract, and the only way he'd settle for less is for a big pay day. If, however, we can offer him a short term contract without breaking the bank, this sounds like a much better option then drafting a CB in this years draft. That way we can fill a more pressing hole on our team (one which by the way we have been needing to fill as long ago as when we drafted Lavar over Courtney Brown, not that he would have done it though) and then next year we could draft a CB and still have these vets on for a year to mold him into a shut down corner.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
dmek25
MVP

just say no to Kelly. i was at the Tampa game, and the skins continually went after him. he made 0 plays that game. i think thatguy hit the nail on the head. Rhonde Barber made Kelly look alot better then he really is. and too old, anyway
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Depends on how the Skins plan to run their Defense next year. Kelly (in my very non-professional opinion) is a Cover-2 system guy who is a zone corner. He's also, as others have mentioned, on the backside of his career.

I actually don't know all that much about Blache, now that I think about it, since he was DC in Chicago I'm assuming he is a Cover-2 guy? Was he there with Lovie Smith?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
Depends on how the Skins plan to run their Defense next year. Kelly (in my very non-professional opinion) is a Cover-2 system guy who is a zone corner. He's also, as others have mentioned, on the backside of his career.

I actually don't know all that much about Blache, now that I think about it, since he was DC in Chicago I'm assuming he is a Cover-2 guy? Was he there with Lovie Smith?
This article describes Blache's tendencies. It really highlights his desire for top notch CBs to free up the SS to play the run, and allow more blitzing. Very similar to GW. Very adaptable to the personnel. Excellent philosophy IMO.

For Blache, Cornerbacks Are Key
Old 01-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This article describes Blache's tendencies. It really highlights his desire for top notch CBs to free up the SS to play the run, and allow more blitzing. Very similar to GW. Very adaptable to the personnel. Excellent philosophy IMO.

For Blache, Cornerbacks Are Key
Thanks. That sort of heavy reliance of cover corners would seem to rule out Kelly ... and perhaps point to another 1st rd. DB ...
Old 01-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #22
prinzeofmoval
Special Teams

that guy is still playing..pass...get a good corner out of the draft 2nd or 3rd round and BRING him up..dont forget a no named safety named Bob Sanders came out of the 2nd round in the draft...
Old 01-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
SkinEmAll
Special Teams

Oh brother......that's all we need, another older, injury waiting to happen, over paid veteran. I guess I'm just tired of that whole plan. Anyone know if all the grossly overpaid free agents of the last 2 years actually 'earned' their mega bucks? I cant really think of any who really stick out in my mind at the moment. Just curious.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

I am in favor of sticking with the guys we have now...
Old 02-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #25
Dantheskinsfan
Special Teams

no thanks--- another one of those "just cuz we can doesn't mean we should" kinda guys
Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #26
Dantheskinsfan
Special Teams

by the by, that was post # 69 for me. was it good for you?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Brian Kelly will opt out of Final Season, GTripp0012 roles out the red carpet in Wash

So...can we lock this now?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #28
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Brian Kelly will opt out of Final Season, GTripp0012 roles out the red carpet in Wash

I don't think you need my authorization, but you've got it anyway
Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Thank you

Hey...if you just need someone to talk to, I'm here. I know the pain of putting a bandwagon out to pasture <<weeps gently while reminsicing what could have been with Justin Smith>>