Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-15-2023, 08:32 AM   #91
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: The Sam Howell Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

Howell QB1?
If I am reading correctly the OC won’t get a say in the starting QB? Seems kind of silly but par for the current regime

Advertisements
Old 01-15-2023, 08:33 AM   #92
skinsfan69
Living Legend

As far as Howell goes he is really in a tough spot. He doesn't even know who his OC is going to be. And that guy may be here for only a year. The head coach is probably going to run option plays and get the QB killed like he did Cam Newton. Who on this staff has a history of developing QB's?

Washington is the graveyard for QB's.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #93
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
If I am reading correctly the OC won’t get a say in the starting QB? Seems kind of silly but par for the current regime
I've lost any faith in Ron bit it doesn't sound crazy to me to say to candidates "we're looking for someone who believes in/is willing to work with this kid". As long as it is a coach (and not owner) induced decision, I have no issue with it.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:02 AM   #94
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I've lost any faith in Ron bit it doesn't sound crazy to me to say to candidates "we're looking for someone who believes in/is willing to work with this kid". As long as it is a coach (and not owner) induced decision, I have no issue with it.
I guess I feel the coordinator should have some autonomy over their players if they feel there is a better match on the roster. Regardless I hope our sports media does ask why Howell wasn’t good enough to start week 17 but after his performance in week 18 where he threw for 57% completion and a 45 qbr he is the 2023 starter. Either way sounds like a major fuck up. I like what Howell did in game I think we have a Daniel Jonesesque qb and we can work with that I just question RRs decision process.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:11 AM   #95
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I guess I feel the coordinator should have some autonomy over their players if they feel there is a better match on the roster. Regardless I hope our sports media does ask why Howell wasn’t good enough to start week 17 but after his performance in week 18 where he threw for 57% completion and a 45 qbr he is the 2023 starter. Either way sounds like a major fuck up. I like what Howell did in game I think we have a Daniel Jonesesque qb and we can work with that I just question RRs decision process.
Oh for sure, that's fair. Like I said I'm at the point where Ron doesn't have any other merit than being a nice guy.

As for the OC having some autonomy over players, I agree... once he's in place. But having some pre-requisite through the recruiting process doesn't sound crazy.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:21 PM   #96
HTTR
Special Teams

There are too many moving parts — owner, HC, OC, QB, 2023 draft — to map out the single best way forward, other than to say that the ideal would be to start at the top and work your way down. But that’s not going to happen by April.

So RR, for better or worse, has to field a team, hire on OC, and make up a draft board. Parts of that will be undone by subsequent ownership moves. And we will stay in purgatory during that time with 7-9 wins.

So in the meantime why not try to answer one of few questions that we can answer — Is Sam Howell someone who can develop into QB1 or QB2?

SH was a smart pick for those of us who feel you should always draft a QB in a value-appropriate round. But don’t forget the next part of that axiom: “. . . . because he might turn out to be a keeper.” This is the right time to try to answer that question.

It’s not about “crowning” anyone. It’s about the context of where we are as an organization in 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2023, 03:46 PM   #97
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post
There are too many moving parts — owner, HC, OC, QB, 2023 draft — to map out the single best way forward, other than to say that the ideal would be to start at the top and work your way down. But that’s not going to happen by April.

So RR, for better or worse, has to field a team, hire on OC, and make up a draft board. Parts of that will be undone by subsequent ownership moves. And we will stay in purgatory during that time with 7-9 wins.

So in the meantime why not try to answer one of few questions that we can answer — Is Sam Howell someone who can develop into QB1 or QB2?

SH was a smart pick for those of us who feel you should always draft a QB in a value-appropriate round. But don’t forget the next part of that axiom: “. . . . because he might turn out to be a keeper.” This is the right time to try to answer that question.

It’s not about “crowning” anyone. It’s about the context of where we are as an organization in 2023.

Good post.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 07:53 PM   #98
rocnrik
Playmaker

Yep .. makes sense to me ! Ron is only staying as coach because of sale .. he is lame duck coach and it would be a big mistake to bring in some aging vet with a huge contract with all the uncertainties.. go with Howell for now!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:03 PM   #99
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTR View Post

Solid way to put it.
We gotta accept 2023 is a weird transition year, I don't want any big splash this off-season. We're probably not going anywhere next year, why would you want to spend big on a pretty much meaningless season.
Keep building a solid roster, and let the next guys take over with as many assets as possible.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2023, 08:40 PM   #100
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I don’t see Ron and company just accepting a transition yr.. he is coaching for his job. They will make some moves

Old 01-15-2023, 08:41 PM   #101
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Solid way to put it.
We gotta accept 2023 is a weird transition year, I don't want any big splash this off-season. We're probably not going anywhere next year, why would you want to spend big on a pretty much meaningless season.
Keep building a solid roster, and let the next guys take over with as many assets as possible.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Well, you need to sign Payne, Curl, Holcomb and others, they better or they are going nowhere. In my opinion the only FA's that need to be signed are these teams FA's. Draft 3 OL, a CB, LB, QB, DL, K and we are set.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:03 PM   #102
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
When does the OC solely decide who is the QB? If they are doing this, I'm fine. Be upfront: this is the QB you'll get to work with. You need to come in and figure out a way to make him successful with solid running game and some very good receivers.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:13 PM   #103
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
When does the OC solely decide who is the QB? If they are doing this, I'm fine. Be upfront: this is the QB you'll get to work with. You need to come in and figure out a way to make him successful with solid running game and some very good receivers.
Not sure I would say solely but I do think they should have a say in who plays
Old 01-15-2023, 09:16 PM   #104
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Well, you need to sign Payne, Curl, Holcomb and others, they better or they are going nowhere. In my opinion the only FA's that need to be signed are these teams FA's. Draft 3 OL, a CB, LB, QB, DL, K and we are set.
That’s be great if they could do this. I might switch the DL to another CB
Old 01-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #105
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame