Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins, Ravens lead list of five teams that could make leap into the playoff field in 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Redskins, Ravens lead list of five teams that could make leap into the playoff field in 2018

Every year the NFL is slammed full of parity -- a couple of surprising teams jump up and make the playoffs, while several teams we never thought in our wildest dreams could regress manage to fall back and miss the postseason.

Advertisements
Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
metalskins
The Starter

Re: Redskins, Ravens lead list of five teams that could make leap into the playoff field in 2018

I think it all comes down to injuries. In fact, I think the 'skins would have made the playoffs last year if not for the injuries. Yeah, I know, that has been argued months back, but I stand by that thought. Getting D'Ron Payne and pairing him up with a healthy Jonathan Allen could be huge for the 'skins d-line.

The truth is, it always seems to be the same story year in and year out. The 'skins are always missing depth and quality at a few positions, but generally have enough (at least on paper) to be good enough to make a playoff run. All comes down to health and a few guys over-achieving. Also comes down to Smith not being Donovan McFlabb 2.0 (I don't think that will happen.)
Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Re: Redskins, Ravens lead list of five teams that could make leap into the playoff field in 2018

I would say the difference between a truly good team and the rest is winning DESPITE the injuries which happen every year. That means the roster spots 25-45 - a combination of drafting well, good FA, good coaches/scheme, trainers and team cohesiveness.

ie. The Eagles won last year with their back-up QB.
The Patriots always seem to win despite losing their best players every year - Gronk, Edelman, Blount, Dion Lewis, Nate Solder, etc,etc

Good rosters are always good, every year despite injuries. Bad teams (like us for past 20 years) have lucky years --- and then disappear. I think we are looking more like a good team with better depth after a nice few drafts -- hoping we keep it up.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Before injuries to the DL, we were one of the best teams at getting to the QB In fact we were top 5 in Blitz % last yr on passing plays. Our D if healthy will be very much so improved with the addition of Payne, I can see a top 15 D and top 10 Offense this yr which would get us into the playoffs
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
I would say the difference between a truly good team and the rest is winning DESPITE the injuries which happen every year. That means the roster spots 25-45 - a combination of drafting well, good FA, good coaches/scheme, trainers and team cohesiveness.

The Patriots always seem to win despite losing their best players every year - Gronk, Edelman, Blount, Dion Lewis, Nate Solder, etc,etc

Good rosters are always good, every year despite injuries. Bad teams (like us for past 20 years) have lucky years --- and then disappear. I think we are looking more like a good team with better depth after a nice few drafts -- hoping we keep it up.
Yes, good teams win despite injuries, but last year was a freak of nature for us. I don't doubt that had we cut those injuries in half, the team would have won at least a couple more games. When an up and coming team gets hit with major injuries like we did last year, it does affect them more because there has not been a well established culture of winning. A team like the Patriots could go through the same thing and still win 11 games, because there's a winning culture established from the owner down to the waterboy.

I think the culture is changing, and I think this might be the first year you'll see a glimpse of a team who is capable of going deep in the playoffs. Now, how long that lasts will be the biggest question, but I think the team has done a very good job this offseason building a strong competitor.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Giantone
Gamebreaker

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comment...ers_each_team/

Washington Redskins: (18) Terrelle Pryor, Jordan Reed, Chris Thompson, Jonathan Allen

Most Players on IR: 49ers (20), Giants (20), Redskins (18), Seattle Seahawks (15), Arizona Cardinals (14), Baltimore Ravens (14), Houtson Texans (14), Carolina Panthers (14), Chicago Bears (14), Colts (14), New Orleans Saints (14)

Edit: Added Kam Chancellor (technically on IR, due to not enough cap space not on IR)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

From G1's link
Minnesota Vikings: (4) Sam Bradford, Dalvin Cook
Dallas 5 no notables
LA Rams 4 no notables
Oakland Raiders: (5) Sebastian Janikowski, Gareon Conley
Pittsburgh Steelers: (5) Ryan Shazier

I wonder if the Rams have more injuries if they will do as well. Ditto with the Vikings, though they lost a big piece with Cook.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ryan does get overlooked by the media, but I think he is lacking that big time game winning play. Once he does that a couple times he will get the love.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post

10 of the 12 playoff teams last year were in the top half of the league in Adjusted Games lost. Only KC and NO were in the bottom half of the league.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...ted-games-lost
Injuries are a reality in the league.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:43 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Ryan does get overlooked by the media, but I think he is lacking that big time game winning play. Once he does that a couple times he will get the love.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kerrigan is one of those guys that won’t be fully appreciated until he retires

He’s been remarkably consistent and durable
Old 07-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #11
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
10 of the 12 playoff teams last year were in the top half of the league in Adjusted Games lost. Only KC and NO were in the bottom half of the league.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/st...ted-games-lost
Injuries are a reality in the league.
Good read.

Overall we had 100% of our "Blank" (formerly Probable) players playing on Sundays, and 77.7% of our Questionnable players playing.

It means (as if we needed a stat to know this) that week after week we lined up one of the most banged up teams of the league (even if we forget guys injured enough to be Out).
Old 07-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Kerrigan is one of those guys that won’t be fully appreciated until he retires

He’s been remarkably consistent and durable
Yeah I am guilty of it too, I will say the dude is tough as nails. I hope he can continue that path.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #13
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
but I think he is lacking that big time game winning play. Once he does that a couple times he will get the love.
He is tied for #1 in forced fumbles since he has been in the league and has scored 3 times. Turnovers and scoring...cant get more big time game winning than that imo

(hope this link works http://pfref.com/tiny/QDmod )
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...-ryan-kerrigan
Old 07-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Outstanding analysis. PFF is impressive.