F 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #61
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Draft Reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yes. This is the biggest reason I love McCloughan. You can't judge his draft yet, but the one thing he's doing is actually LEADING. He has a vision, the coaches share it, and everything he does fits with that vision.

He says in the media we're going to be tough, physical, nasty. He and Gruden come to agreement that they need to run power running schemes, so they hire Callahan. He drafts based on attributes: tough, physical, nasty. And he keeps repeating that mantra in every meeting with the media.

His vision is fierce, intense, hard hitting. But most importantly it's not all talk, every move he makes is in that vein.

Finally we see an identity forming. An identity the team can rally around and take pride in. Finally they can say the words "I'm a Redskin" and have it actually mean something. "I'm a Redskin and I will fight you for every last inch." "I'm a Redskin and if you want to win this game, you'll have to go THROUGH me." "I'm a Redskin and I'M the hammer." "I... am... a... Redskin."

Sports are so mental. There are Xs and Os and salary cap strategies and everything else. But if you form a sense of belonging around a few guiding principles, you engender a team atmosphere and you engender camaraderie. That's the vision here, build a culture around toughness, around strength, around intimidation.

With a vision like that this team will run through an absolute fucking wall for Gruden. And we can thank McCloughan for setting us on the path.
Shanahan brought a team vision too. Zorn wore the black and maroon proudly. Gibbs had pride in the Skins and what it meant.

Get hyped, buy into the clinches, expect 7th Rounders to be studs because a real GM drafted them.

Until they take to the field and the qb dances into sacks, or throws 4 picks in 4 minutes. Or our RBs decide to fumble in the end zone cuz hey that's what skins do.

I loved the draft, I get what's being said, but at the same token we've seen year after year of new plans and this is it.

Trust but verify. Show me something new Skins.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #62
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Which leaves us with this great prediction.

@Russellmania980 ·

According to FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis , #Redskins are projected to have the # 1 overall pick in 2016. Apparently a three-way (5-11) tiebreaker

Since when does 5 wins get you the top pick in the draft? They seem pretty stupid.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #63
That Guy
Living Legend

yeah, i'm not all rainbows and unicorns either, but it was a decent draft and i think our top 2 picks should be starting pretty quickly, which is either good (dat talent) or bad (team stinks) or a mix of both.

i'm not ready to sell the farm to place bets on the skins, but if joe barry can't make this a top 16 defense with the help he's gotten, i'd definitely be concerned, first year or not. we bypassed some good coaches for him, so yeah, prove it. I also expect much better OL play (picks spent, good coach hired) and both of those things (average D, top 10 running game) should lessen the impact of our shaky QB play, which is still a very real issue.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #64
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I like the kid, anyone with the last name Crowder is good with me.

No doubt...

Old 05-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #65
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
yeah, i'm not all rainbows and unicorns either, but it was a decent draft and i think our top 2 picks should be starting pretty quickly, which is either good (dat talent) or bad (team stinks) or a mix of both.

i'm not ready to sell the farm to place bets on the skins, but if joe barry can't make this a top 16 defense with the help he's gotten, i'd definitely be concerned, first year or not. we bypassed some good coaches for him, so yeah, prove it. I also expect much better OL play (picks spent, good coach hired) and both of those things (average D, top 10 running game) should lessen the impact of our shaky QB play, which is still a very real issue.
We should be better this season but, as you suggested, taking the next step hinges on QB play. I'm trying to stay optimistic that either RGIII finally gets the hang of the position in this offense and shines or that Kirk shows that he's overcome his turnover problems and runs the offense like clockwork. If either QB steps up, we should be competitive.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #66
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Shanahan brought a team vision too. Zorn wore the black and maroon proudly. Gibbs had pride in the Skins and what it meant.

Get hyped, buy into the clinches, expect 7th Rounders to be studs because a real GM drafted them.

Until they take to the field and the qb dances into sacks, or throws 4 picks in 4 minutes. Or our RBs decide to fumble in the end zone cuz hey that's what skins do.

I loved the draft, I get what's being said, but at the same token we've seen year after year of new plans and this is it.

Trust but verify. Show me something new Skins.

Sent from my S6 Edge
Gibbs did bring a vision, under G Williams the defense was a hard hitting monster most years. I think it was 2004 when our D was #3 overall. And he made the playoffs two years with bums at QB.

Zorn had no vision. Shanahan had one but it was not one the players could really take pride in like this. Yay, we're the finesse offensive line. Woohoo. Go us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hopeful for a good performance this year. I just finally feel like there's hope in the intermediate future. This team can get to the fringe of playoff competition (9-7, 10-6) sometime in 2016 or 2017. And if a QB finally takes off, then I really like where we're going.

I think we'll have a losing record this season. But all I can ask for given how badly we've sucked, is for us to have a bad ass nasty fighting attitude. I just want to see that nasty brawler identity develop. That will be a sign of progress, even if it comes with a 6-10 or 7-9 record.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #67
Ruhskins
Living Legend

In the first two years of McC's tenure in Seattle, the team went 7-9. While QB appeared to be an issue for that team (QBs for Seattle 2010: an aging Hasselbeck with Clipboard Jesus as backup; 2011: Tavaris Jackson), the team focused on drafting in other areas.

In 2010 and 2011, three of their four top picks were in the offensive line: Tackles taken in each year's first round (Okung, Carpenter), and a Guard (Moffitt) taken in the 3rd round in 2011. They also drafted heavily on the defense with Thomas and Chancellor in 2010, a whole bunch of DBs (including Sherman) in 2011, and
their 2012 draft was almost all defense draft.

I really believe McC is building up our team the way that he built Seattle, by focusing on all the other areas before turning his attention to QB. I think/hope the ownership and fans are patient with the rebuilding process; and stop obsessing over the QB position. If we win next year fine, if not, we get to pick a bunch of new good players in next year draft and have the team that McC is envisioning.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #68
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Since when does 5 wins get you the top pick in the draft? They seem pretty stupid.
It's been close. The worst teams in the 2010,2009 and 2003 seasons were 4-12, and second worst were 5-11. It could happen, but highly unlikely.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #69
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Who are the top QB's in 2016? Christian Hackenburg? Connor Cook? None of them seem to be better than what's already here. There's no Winston or Luck in next years draft. Cardale Jones, as physically gifted as he is seems way too raw. 2016 seems to be a weak QB class. None of them to me look like 1st rounders.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Who are the top QB's in 2016? Christian Hackenburg? Connor Cook? None of them seem to be better than what's already here. There's no Winston or Luck in next years draft. Cardale Jones, as physically gifted as he is seems way too raw. 2016 seems to be a weak QB class. None of them to me look like 1st rounders.
Hackenburg and Cook are both great prospects

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #71
Schneed10
A Dude

Too early to bother to even talk about it. At this point in his college career Matt Barkley looked like a sure bet for the 1st overall pick.

Have to let this season play itself out.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #72
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Too early to bother to even talk about it. At this point in his college career Matt Barkley looked like a sure bet for the 1st overall pick.

Have to let this season play itself out.
Meh on Barkley, but that does remind me, Cody Kessler at Southern Cal is another great QB prospect coming out next year. Thanks Schneed!

You should get a good look at Hackenburg this coming season at PSU, he is a great pro style QB.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote