Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #751
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Cousins Saga 4.0. Is he done in DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
IMO people are reading waaaay too much into JG's comments. He knows KC is his guy and if KC leaves next year will be another losing season and his final year as Skins head coach.
Agree with this. These are grown men. They can handle their coach giving an honest assessment of their performance in the media.

Why would Kirk think that going to Denver, or somewhere else, would be any different?

He's a big boy. Gruden's comments won't factor into his decision. If he leaves, it will be because he just wanted something different.

Advertisements
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #752
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Agree with this. These are grown men. They can handle their coach giving an honest assessment of their performance in the media.

Why would Kirk think that going to Denver, or somewhere else, would be any different?

He's a big boy. Gruden's comments won't factor into his decision. If he leaves, it will be because he just wanted something different.
For that to be true, we would need to assume that Smithers will make Kirk a competitive offer. He hasn't even made Kirk a respectable offer up to now, so I don't believe that Kirk will get a competitive offer from the Skins.

That leaves the Skins with only one option if they want to keep Kirk; that is, the extremely well-paid involuntary servitude of the Franchise Tag. The Transition Tag would be useless to the Skins because they won't match any offer that is at a top of the market price.

They might as well just let him walk now. Make a clean break with Kirk and draw up other plans.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #753
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
For that to be true, we would need to assume that Smithers will make Kirk a competitive offer. He hasn't even made Kirk a respectable offer up to now, so I don't believe that Kirk will get a competitive offer from the Skins.

That leaves the Skins with only one option if they want to keep Kirk; that is, the extremely well-paid involuntary servitude of the Franchise Tag. The Transition Tag would be useless to the Skins because they won't match any offer that is at a top of the market price.

They might as well just let him walk now. Make a clean break with Kirk and draw up other plans.

I think $20M offer last season was good. Now after this yr, yeah it'll have to be 25 at least
Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #754
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

They will make what they consider to be a competitive offer. Not one necessarily commensurate with his leverage, but one commensurate with his ability and place within the hierarchy of QBs in the league.

And then he'll have to compare it against other offers he gets.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #755
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I think $20M offer last season was good. Now after this yr, yeah it'll have to be 25 at least
We've gone over why the $20M wasn't a good one many times on this site. Things such as the paltry guaranteed money the Skins offered, the failure of Skins management to accept that Kirk had already signed the Franchise Tag agreement and, as a result of that, the $24M he already had for 2017 was off the table, etc., etc.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #756
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
We've gone over why the $20M wasn't a good one many times on this site. Things such as the paltry guaranteed money the Skins offered, the failure of Skins management to accept that Kirk had already signed the Franchise Tag agreement and, as a result of that, the $24M he already had for 2017 was off the table, etc., etc.
What's your point?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #757
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

I don't think Gruden's comments could factor into Kirk's decision at all.

But I do feel like this is not a sign of Jay knowing anything promising about the Skins being ready to make a push to sign Kirk.

Maybe I'm reading too much though, let's hope so.

But "Kirk is a very good QB, it's been a tough season and we've seen what he's capable of with a lot of injuries around him and not a lot of help from the running game. He's had some ups and downs but overall I think he's had a solid year" would have also been an honest assessment of his performance...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #758
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I don't think Gruden's comments could factor into Kirk's decision at all.

But I do feel like this is not a sign of Jay knowing anything promising about the Skins being ready to make a push to sign Kirk.

Maybe I'm reading too much though, let's hope so.

But "Kirk is a very good QB, it's been a tough season and we've seen what he's capable of with a lot of injuries around him and not a lot of help from the running game. He's had some ups and downs but overall I think he's had a solid year" would have also been an honest assessment of his performance...
Yeah you're reading too much into it. Jay doesn't get to make the decision, Bruce does.

Jay has already told Bruce that he likes Cousins. Doesn't mean Bruce is going to make a $30M offer.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #759
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Yeah you're reading too much into it. Jay doesn't get to make the decision, Bruce does.

Jay has already told Bruce that he likes Cousins. Doesn't mean Bruce is going to make a $30M offer.
Bruce isn't making this decision, Snyder is.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #760
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Bruce isn't making this decision, Snyder is.
You're right.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #761
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

But has a HC doesn't he get to know a little bit of what's the plan?
(Legit question, not a rethorical one).

Again, hope I'm wrong but this was just the start of me stopping to fight so hard to keep faith.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #762
hutch17
Special Teams

I keep seeing a reference to something Cooley heard behind closed doors or a theory of his based on Jay's comments. Could someone enlighten me as to this, I can't find it anywhere.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #763
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
What's your point?
My point is that I don't think the last offer to Kirk by the Skins was a good one because it had no chance of being accepted based on the knowledge the Skins acquired in past negotiations with Kirk's agent.

If they want to franchise him, they should just do it. If they don't want him, they should just let him sign elsewhere. The only purpose I can see to making him an offer that they know he won't accept is to mollify the ticket holders, as in "We tried".

p.s. My thoughts on this are based on my low regard for how the FO has handled this up to now. I don't foresee the FO suddenly making a competitive offer for his services. If they're not able to read the marketplace, or they are in their own fantasy world about what it will take to sign him, or they just want to look good to the ticket holders, or they just don't give a damn whether he signs or not, then they are just wasting their time preparing an offer.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 01-04-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #764
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
My point is that I don't think the last offer to Kirk by the Skins was a good one because it had no chance of being accepted based on the knowledge the Skins acquired in past negotiations with Kirk's agent.

If they want to franchise him, they should just do it. If they don't want him, they should just let him sign elsewhere. The only purpose I can see to making him an offer that they know he won't accept is to mollify the ticket holders, as in "We tried".
Don't agree. They should make the highest offer they feel comfortable making. If he's not interested, then he leaves. That's business.

Franchise tag should be off the table. $34M for one season, only to be back in this same predicament next year, makes no sense.

He's shown that he'll just sign it immediately and then shut down negotiations until he's through playing under it. Once you tag him, he won't negotiate with you.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #765
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch17 View Post
I keep seeing a reference to something Cooley heard behind closed doors or a theory of his based on Jay's comments. Could someone enlighten me as to this, I can't find it anywhere.
This?

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington...-now-113205569