Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Give Big Mike The Damn Ball!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Give Big Mike The Damn Ball!

I think that this offense needs to dictate the agenda offensively. And to best do that, we need to hit people in the mouth with a beast. And that beast is Big Mike Sellers! I think Al and Joe can come up with innovative ways to give him the ball to keep opposing defenses on their heels. Somehow in our gameplan we need to better incorporate his talents. Besides being Portis's battering-ram, he can catch, and run with the rock with mad heart. I love his attitude and heart for the game of football. He is a true Redskin and a player that can impose his will that could change the outcome of a game. Thoughts?.? Comments?.? Here's the start of the campaign to: Give Mike The Damn Ball!
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Give Big Mike The Damn Ball!

I thinkthat the experiment in the preseason last year to see if Sellers could carry the ball went really well. I'd like to see him get more carries in the regular season. However we have three very good RBs already, so how many carries a year should Sellers really get.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
However we have three very good RBs already, so how many carries a year should Sellers really get.
Thats easy, he should get the carries in short yardage and goal line situations...
Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I thinkthat the experiment in the preseason last year to see if Sellers could carry the ball went really well. I'd like to see him get more carries in the regular season. However we have three very good RBs already, so how many carries a year should Sellers really get.
I don't know if it is a matter of how many carries. I think he just needs to get his hands on the ball period. In 05' he was money in the redzone, and utilized well in great situations. But, when he gets the ball, I think it motivates the team greatly. You just gotta love a 250+lb man-beast going into the endzone for a touchdown! Dude's chest cavity is like PACKED with heart!
4mrusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:

10-15 at most

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
10-15 at most
That's a good range methinks.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Dont need to give him the ball too much.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
freddyg12
Playmaker

like in 05, toss the ball to him in the flats. Like Cooley, most db's have a hard time bringing him down.
I don't think he's that good a runner on running plays, except short yardage, might be worth it to give him the ball a few times to keep the d guessing though.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mrusmc View Post
I think that this offense needs to dictate the agenda offensively. And to best do that, we need to hit people in the mouth with a beast. And that beast is Big Mike Sellers! I think Al and Joe can come up with innovative ways to give him the ball to keep opposing defenses on their heels. Somehow in our gameplan we need to better incorporate his talents. Besides being Portis's battering-ram, he can catch, and run with the rock with mad heart. I love his attitude and heart for the game of football. He is a true Redskin and a player that can impose is will that could change the outcome of a game. Thoughts?.? Comments?.? Here's the start of the campaign to: Give Mike The Damn Ball!
While I love the guy, and I think he's underrated, he's not a runner. He's VERY slow. Sure...use him as a battering ram, but if you want more than 2 yards, he's not your man.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
dmek25
MVP

not a good runner. but a good blocker, and has good hands. just ask Brian Dawkins about him
Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
70Chip
Playmaker

I think it's a good thing to run 2 or 3 times a game tops. If he can catch a defense sleeping and get to the second level, he's a load. I don't think anyone should look for him to be a feature back even in short yardage, though if it were me, I would try it out in pre-season (it being Sellers as the primary short yardage back). Receiving, I would look for him to rebound a bit and have in the area of 30 catches and several scores. He could have as many as 50 catches if the defense is right.

The bottom line is that if I were th O.C., he would always be in on 1st and 2nd down. The only time he's not in is on 3rd and long and even there I could make a case. He is a totally unique physical specimen. The Redskins need to be taking more advantage of him.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #12
GusFrerotte

Short yardage and 3rd down short passing situations(like 3rd and 6) are probably the best ways to utilize him. I would give him the ball 5 times a game even if just to mix it up and give the opposition a new look/style.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Give Big Mike Sellers the ball!!! Hes a Beast. I think 2-3 times every game on short yardage downs, just to have opposing d's thinking about one more thing. He can catch great, I love it when other teams forget about Big Mike and he gets his one catch for a TD.

One of my favorit stats: 12 receptions 7 TDs in 2005

NFL.com - Mike Sellers

I am all about defense but I had to pick Big Mike as my avatar, cause he is such a beast! (plus hes a former LB)
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

He had 12 carries for 51 yards last year, that's 4.3 per pop. Not bad for a 275 pound back.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
While I love the guy, and I think he's underrated, he's not a runner. He's VERY slow. Sure...use him as a battering ram, but if you want more than 2 yards, he's not your man.
Thats the problem with giving Sellers more than 15 carries in a season. While potentially very effective in short yardage, you lose the value of a possible big play.

Without the threat of a big play, running the ball averages less per play than passing it...

Its why they say you want the ball in your playmakers hands. Portis and Sellers would probably both be effetive in short yardage (blocking issues aside), but Portis could potentially score from 50 yards out, and will do so a few times in a season. Sellers doesn't bring that to the table, and so you want to limit his carries.