Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

A Felon in the White House?

Debating with the enemy

Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
GMScud
Swearinger

A Felon in the White House?

This stinks to high heaven. Has Rahm written all over it if you ask me:

Karl Rove: Joe Sestak's lying or he's protecting a felon in Barack Obama's White House | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Issa: Sestak scandal could be Obama's 'Watergate' - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Advertisements
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: A Felon in the White House?

Summary (this is local news for me...been hearing about it since March):

Joe Sestak is the Democrat who just defeated Arlen Spector in the Senate primary in PA.

Sestak, without being asked, made the statement that the White House made an offer to him, that if he drops out of the race and lets Arlen Spector become the nominee and only contender in primary, he can have a job as Secretary of the Navy in exchange for dropping out.

The White House has never denied this, only said "they've looked into it and do not believe they did anything wrong", which is a joke.

Federal Code Section 18 USC 211 says you cannot accept anything of value in return for hiring somebody.

Federal code Section 18 USC 600 says that a federal official cannot promise employment, a job in the federal government, in return for a political act.

Also, The Constitution in Article II, Section 4:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

But wait, it is coming to light that the President also tried to "clear the field" in Colorado too last year with the same illegal tactic.
Quote:
D.C. job alleged as attempt to deter Romanoff - The Denver Post

WASHINGTON — Not long after news leaked last month that Andrew Romanoff was determined to make a Democratic primary run against Sen. Michael Bennet, Romanoff received an unexpected communication from one of the most powerful men in Washington.

Jim Messina, President Barack Obama's deputy chief of staff and a storied fixer in the White House political shop, suggested a place for Romanoff might be found in the administration and offered specific suggestions, according to several sources who described the communication to The Denver Post.

Romanoff turned down the overture, which included mention of a job at USAID, the foreign aid agency, sources said.

Then, the day after Romanoff formally announced his Senate bid, Obama endorsed Bennet.

It is the kind of hardball tactics that have come to mark the White House's willingness to shape key races across the country, in this case trying to remove a threat to a vulnerable senator by presenting his opponent a choice of silver or lead.
This is common in Chicago politics, but won't be tolerated from the White House. I could see Rahm Emmanuel taking the axe for this, but it does have the potential to be very bad for President Obama who could lose his job and also Sestak, who faces the possibility of a $2,000 fine which is small...but up to a year in Federal prison.

I'm not at all shocked that this Administration would go against the Constitution, I'm a bit surprised it is being covered Nationally by the media who usually covers things up to protect him though.

Pat Toomey now has the momentum to defeat Sestak, who was leading by only 4 points in polls prior to this.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

What did Sestak do wrong?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
saden1
MVP

Karl Rove? The guy that fired the US District Attorneys for political reasons is talking about felonies in the White House?

While we're at linking, perhaps a look at timelines would be helpful:

Quote:
On March 27, 2009, the administration nominated Ray Mabus as secretary of the Navy. It wasn't until April 28 that Specter became a Democrat, and by Sestak's own recollection, he was literally being courted to run the day that news broke. On May 18, the Senate confirmed Mabus. And on May 29, Sestak entered the Senate race.

BTW, it is not illegal to offer someone a job in exchange for dropping out. This is done bazillions of times in politics. You're free to say no and I am free to offer you a jobs. I tell you....you guys are really grasping for straws.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
BTW, it is not illegal to offer someone a job in exchange for dropping out. This is done bazillions of times in politics. You're free to say no and I am free to offer you a jobs. I tell you....you guys are really grasping for straws.
Well now that that is cleared up by our resident federal law expert.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

is it a felony to knowingly lie the country into war?
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Karl Rove? The guy that fired the US District Attorneys for political reasons is talking about felonies in the White House?

Not really. Everything I've read points to this having legs. But I don't expect any concessions from someone who defends this administration tooth and nail at every turn.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
Enough with the Bush crap. Pointing fingers at him at this point is such a used up, tired thing to do. He's been out of office for a year and a half now. Move on.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:

Hey genius, I just cited the specific locations of exactly that in the Federal Code...and Constitution.

About the firing of the DAs, it happens with EVERY Administration. Every President replaces people with those they prefer. President Clinton cleared out over 80 of them on a single day and never took flack for it...President Bush canned 4 or 5 and it was the apocalypse.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Well now that that is cleared up by our resident federal law expert.

I'm no expert, but what are you going to get me on? Offering someone a job? Telling someone not to run? Bribery? I happened to look up federal bribery laws when the Blagojevich scandal broke out. Try looking things up sometimes, it's empowering.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm no expert, but what are you going to get me on? Offering someone a job? Telling someone not to run? Bribery? I happened to look up federal bribery laws when the Blagojevich scandal broke out. Try looking things up sometimes, it's empowering.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Its a felony that the other party voted for the same war. Oh, they got tricked. Maybe if they actually did something other then sit on their fat ass and bitch they may have come up with why we should not go to war. Instead they vote for the war then when it becomes unpopular to be for the war they tuck their little whinning asses around and act like they never voted for the war.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
I don't see what's so hard to understand about this as it relates to Sestak:

Federal code Section 18 USC 600 says that a federal official cannot promise employment, a job in the federal government, in return for a political act.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Enough with the Bush crap. Pointing fingers at him at this point is such a used up, tired thing to do. He's been out of office for a year and a half now. Move on.

well doing it when he was in office was met with "you're unamerican! you support the terrorists! shut the fuck up and love your country and support the president or you can LEAVE!"

so perhaps i should just tell you all to do the same?
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
well doing it when he was in office was met with "you're unamerican! you support the terrorists! shut the fuck up and love your country and support the president or you can LEAVE!"

so perhaps i should just tell you all to do the same?
Sure, if you can find an instance of GM saying that to someone here.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote