Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Expose on the Tea Party Architects

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #31
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Expose on the Tea Party Architects

work harder, millions on welfare depend on you!

Advertisements
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #32
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
back to my question FD. what have the GOP done for the poor?
And of course this in the end is the doom of the country. (Melodramatic I know)

The GOP will never "do for the poor" because of the concept of self-reliance. Thus, the "poor" shall always be swayed by those who offer other people's money as a way of being less poor. It is the well of the rich can be less rich, so that the poor are less poor argument. It works great in vote getting, and in the heartstring media. It just isn't the basis for a lasting economic plan. In the same vain the GOP is treated as making the poor poorer so that the rich can be richer. Which of course is not their primary goal. They may very well want to make the rich richer, but economies are not zero sum, making one person richer does not mean that another person by definition is poorer. Insert trickle down jokes here.

People become poorer for many many reasons. Government wealth redistribution makes a person poorer. Bad financial decisions make people poorer. Laziness does in fact make a person poorer, generally speaking. Lack of education can lead to a poorer life. I would say over education can also lead to a poorer life. Someone who pays for an art history degree, but has the skills of a McD's worker, now not only has a lower paying job but more bills then that person really needed to take on.

Back to the question, what has the GOP done for the poor, probably nothing, but what have the Dems done except increase the welfare state. Making people look more to the govt then to themselves will be an unhealthy thing for this country. But maybe not, maybe having more and more people thinking that government should provide cradle to grave protection will suddenly become the perfect solution.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

One other part is that real financial riches come in three main ways: inheritance, hard work combined with sound financial discipline, or luck; and one could argue inheritance is a sub-category of luck. A lot of people work hard, but not all use sound financial discipline (i would include myself in this category.) Thus most people fail to achieve that goal of financial security, but rather than blame themselves, we all want to put the blame back on others, or look for the government to take care of us.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #34
GMScud
Swearinger

It will be interesting to see how this plays out:

Beck-Palin Rally in Washington Drawing Supporters of `Babies, Guns, Jesus' - Bloomberg
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #35
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
One other part is that real financial riches come in three main ways: inheritance, hard work combined with sound financial discipline, or luck; and one could argue inheritance is a sub-category of luck. A lot of people work hard, but not all use sound financial discipline (i would include myself in this category.) Thus most people fail to achieve that goal of financial security, but rather than blame themselves, we all want to put the blame back on others, or look for the government to take care of us.
One word: Opportunity

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #36
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I hear he's going to be two steps below where MLK stood so as to not dishonor him. I'm interested in see how big the crow will be, he's got big shoes and space to fill.

-Jenkins
Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I hear he's going to be a two steps below where MLK stood so as to not dishonor him. I'm interested in see how big the crow will be, he's got big shoes and space to fill.
I heard over 300K expected to attend.

I thought this was pretty cool about MLK's niece:

Glenn Beck 8/28 rally: It's a matter of honor - CSMonitor.com
Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #38
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
One word: Opportunity
Ok, but that is a part of luck. How many people have had golden opportunities and blown it or missed it. Opportunity does not, in and of itself, guarantee real financial riches. In fact many a lottery winner have had a golden opportunity, only to see that frittered away due to lack of work ethic and financial discipline. How many athletes have been given the opportunity to escape to a new life, only to be dragged back down by either lack of work ethic or by poor money management. I make a decent pay but McD's and fast food living keeps me from realizing a life of "real financial riches". My kids worked over the summer and I tried to instill in them that which I know but do not have, and yet when they got that money for a new video game their first instinct was to go get it.

So Opportunity(luck) - financial discipline =(still) lack of long term wealth.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #39
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

I just love how The Tea Party feels that they have to take their country back. As if something was lost somewhere around the end of '08 and the beginning of '09. Maybe I just wasn't up on my game but I never heard of them until then. I know that EVERY single Tea Party group doesn't have the (as I see them) racist undertones but that's the battle cry that was and still is most used. I wish them the best in all of their future endeavors but if you don't like his politics then cool. But if it's the color of his skin then I mean shit, what are we all here for ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #40
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Quote:
I know there's a nice amount of people here for the rally already. I met two nice folks from Michigan this morning. I think they were a little apprehensive when I asked them if they needed help, ended up walking them to the Kennedy Center on my way to work this morning so they wouldn't get lost. I had some extra time since I got down here early but whil eon my way to another one of the State annexes I passed The Mall and it was packed down there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #41
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The take our country back motto, at least if it's true to my feelings which it may or may not be, is directed at both parties. The republicans betrayed many of their party in the late 90's and early 2000's when instead of limiting gov't they simply diverted it's resources to the rich. And the democrats have long given up on the meaning of limited government. If it were simply a 2008-9 thing, or Lord Obama thing, then they would just go back into the folds of the republicans. Taking the country back means taking it back from an ever growing, and relentless march of big government drums. Of course that won't, can't happen, so it's just a place to vent at this point.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #42
dmek25
MVP

CRR i hear you. and a lot of what you say is true. but not everyone that is poor chooses to be. there are many circumstances that arise that keep people from reaching their potential. and that is one of the biggest differences in the parties. the GOP thinks that people are poor by choice. the Dem's look at the poor as just needing that little extra help
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #43
MTK
\m/

Beck and Palin, oh man what a pair. It's frightening there are people out there that take these two seriously.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #44
dmek25
MVP

and the tea party movement is a joke. if they wanted credibility, they would have started around 2006, when W and the boys were spending like madman. their timing leaves a lot to be desired. all of a sudden Obama takes office, and they want their country back. give me a break
Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
saden1
MVP

Quote:
I heard over 300K expected to attend.

I thought this was pretty cool about MLK's niece:

Glenn Beck 8/28 rally: It's a matter of honor - CSMonitor.com
I wasn't aware our honor was lost and in need of restoring but whatever.

-Jenkins