2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #1111
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: 2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Jon Bostic had a very disappointing season in 2020, but Holcomb was on the rise, KPL was playing solid and even with that the weakness at LB showed a lot. This D was only good against weak offenses that year.
This year we can't even line up 3 decent LBs on the field. And that's assuming Jamin Davis takes a big step forward, which isn't a guarantee.
Not to mention that we can't even line up two pass rushers at DE right now. If Montez sweat were to be injured we immediately go to NONE. We have absolutely no NFL-quality depth at DE. Every year, contenders sign proven NFL pass rushers who are near the end of their careers but can still play limited snaps to help a team - BUT NOT OUR TEAM!

When asked recently about our reserve DE's RR couldn't bring himself to show any any enthusiasm for any of them but still he makes NO CHANGES.

Truly, Rivera acts like he has a job for life. He even claims that he feels no pressure to make the playoffs this season. What a joke he is becoming! I want to see some sense of urgency in the man.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #1112
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Jon Bostic had a very disappointing season in 2020, but Holcomb was on the rise, KPL was playing solid and even with that the weakness at LB showed a lot. This D was only good against weak offenses that year.
This year we can't even line up 3 decent LBs on the field. And that's assuming Jamin Davis takes a big step forward, which isn't a guarantee.
Well, that was kinda my point. In 2020, we could barely line up 3 decent LBs and it turned out to be a top 5 D. Yeah they played some backup QBs, but you can only play who is in front of you. If we get that D, with the potential this offense has - it could be a fun season.

I'm just saying I'm not panicking yet. They are pretty deep in the secondary - lot of good young talent there. The D-line, especially when C Young comes back should be more than solid. And RR said flat out that they would see how things go once training camp begins, and if it looks like they need to add a LB he would.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #1113
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Not to mention that we can't even line up two pass rushers at DE right now. If Montez sweat were to be injured we immediately go to NONE. We have absolutely no NFL-quality depth at DE. Every year, contenders sign proven NFL pass rushers who are near the end of their careers but can still play limited snaps to help a team - BUT NOT OUR TEAM!

When asked recently about our reserve DE's RR couldn't bring himself to show any any enthusiasm for any of them but still he makes NO CHANGES.

Truly, Rivera acts like he has a job for life. He even claims that he feels no pressure to make the playoffs this season. What a joke he is becoming! I want to see some sense of urgency in the man.
I actually like our depth at DE. We can play the "but if he gets injured" game with every position group. That's part of the game. No team has endless starter-quality backups for all position groups.

I heard RR talking highly about the DE depth - Smith-Williams, Toohill, Obada, Toney...
Old 08-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #1114
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I actually like our depth at DE. We can play the "but if he gets injured" game with every position group. That's part of the game. No team has endless starter-quality backups for all position groups.

I heard RR talking highly about the DE depth - Smith-Williams, Toohill, Obada, Toney...
I was talking specifically about pass rushers. I should have made that more clear. I don't know how you can like our depth at DE in that regard. They haven't done diddly in years. BTW, I did not say "starter-quality", much less "endless starter quality", so let's not debate on terms I didn't use. What I said was "NFL-quality", as in worthy of a spot on an NFL roster. I think we can do a much better job of acquiring pass rushing depth at DE.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #1115
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I was talking specifically about pass rushers. I should have made that more clear. I don't know how you can like our depth at DE in that regard. They haven't done diddly in years. BTW, I did not say "starter-quality", much less "endless starter quality", so let's not debate on terms I didn't use. What I said was "NFL-quality", as in worthy of a spot on an NFL roster. I think we can do a much better job of acquiring pass rushing depth at DE.
I don't think it matters much if we like the depth at DE. RR seems to be ok with it. I thought they all played well in Young / Sweat's absence last year too.

With Young out for an extended amount of time, Rivera expects the depth at defensive end to step up in his absence. Players like James Smith-Williams and Casey Toohill will get an opportunity to contribute, and Rivera believes the depth at the position can handle the extra responsibilities.

All our depth guys - once we start the season - will be "NFL-quality" or they wouldn't be on this NFL roster.

Maybe you can give me a big name on an NFL roster who is #3 on their depth chart at DE, and is more of an "NFL-quality" guy than what we have. I'll bet the #3 and #F4 DEs on other rosters all stack up pretty evenly with the depth at DE on this team.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #1116
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

This is why, despite what they say, the Commanders aren’t too worried about LB

-JP

https://twitter.com/NFL_DougFarrar/s...k01Rpnlww&s=01
Old 08-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #1117
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I don't think it matters much if we like the depth at DE. RR seems to be ok with it. I thought they all played well in Young / Sweat's absence last year too.

With Young out for an extended amount of time, Rivera expects the depth at defensive end to step up in his absence. Players like James Smith-Williams and Casey Toohill will get an opportunity to contribute, and Rivera believes the depth at the position can handle the extra responsibilities.

All our depth guys - once we start the season - will be "NFL-quality" or they wouldn't be on this NFL roster.

Maybe you can give me a big name on an NFL roster who is #3 on their depth chart at DE, and is more of an "NFL-quality" guy than what we have. I'll bet the #3 and #F4 DEs on other rosters all stack up pretty evenly with the depth at DE on this team.
On DE, I'm with you, we were kinda spoiled with overall depth at DL the past few years, but with Young, Sweat, JSW, Toohill, second year guys Shaka Toney and Bradley King, even Rotimi who they like a lot... we're not short at DE in my view.

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 08-07-2022 at 08:03 PM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:08 PM   #1118
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
This is why, despite what they say, the Commanders aren’t too worried about LB

-JP

https://twitter.com/NFL_DougFarrar/s...k01Rpnlww&s=01
To be honest the average percentage of snaps played in base D is a bit lower than I thought... But still 23.4% is something. We can't play it correctly as of now. And we have zero possible rotation on our 2 LBs set. And we're one injury away from XFL level play at the position.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:18 PM   #1119
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. RR and JDR are going into year 3. It was a 3-5 year plan from the get-go, and we haven't seen a snap in year 3 yet. Going into year 3, this roster is much better (and deeper) than it was when they got here, at pretty much every position group - especially the so called "skill positions".

I'll admit that it does feel a bit odd that that the one position group that appears (from the outside looking in) to be neglected is the same position both the HC and DC played. Although, they did spend a 1st round draft pick on a LB last year...hopefully JD shows improvement in year 2.

I don't know, we'll see...there's still five weeks before game 1. There's still plenty of time to make a move there if they think they need to. There will be quality players released, and there are still quality players that remain unsigned. But like I said, I'm not in panic mode about it. I'm pretty excited to see this team take the field. I'm optimistic for a big turnaround this year.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:10 PM   #1120
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Washington Signs Former Eagles LB, 2 Others

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/ne...rancisco-49ers
Old 08-08-2022, 03:36 AM   #1121
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. RR and JDR are going into year 3. It was a 3-5 year plan from the get-go, and we haven't seen a snap in year 3 yet. Going into year 3, this roster is much better (and deeper) than it was when they got here, at pretty much every position group - especially the so called "skill positions".

I'll admit that it does feel a bit odd that that the one position group that appears (from the outside looking in) to be neglected is the same position both the HC and DC played. Although, they did spend a 1st round draft pick on a LB last year...hopefully JD shows improvement in year 2.

I don't know, we'll see...there's still five weeks before game 1. There's still plenty of time to make a move there if they think they need to. There will be quality players released, and there are still quality players that remain unsigned. But like I said, I'm not in panic mode about it. I'm pretty excited to see this team take the field. I'm optimistic for a big turnaround this year.
Oh I'm with you on the cautiously optimistic side going into this year. And it's because I'm fairly confident we're gonna see an improved team (to be fair, offense, as I'm in prove it to me mode with JDR and this D), that I'm bothered by what I see as an easy to fix gaping hole in this roster.
Like you said, we'll see, and a team can function with a weak LB group. I just think it's gonna be incredibly frustrating if halfway into the season we're like "ah it's a shame the middle of our D isn't stronger, we would have had a solid team !".

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2022, 04:08 AM   #1122
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Washington Signs Former Eagles LB, 2 Others

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/ne...rancisco-49ers
Hey, not the big name proven vet I was expecting. But that's still a solid veteran, only 27 years old. A guy that knows the position. That's enough to shut me up for a while on that matter !

Old 08-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #1123
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Hey, not the big name proven vet I was expecting. But that's still a solid veteran, only 27 years old. A guy that knows the position. That's enough to shut me up for a while on that matter !

He also has 22 starts which helps. Glad to see they finally signed someone at lb. Hopefully, they will look to add 1-2 more. Expecting lots of 5 man fronts this season.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #1124
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Oh I'm with you on the cautiously optimistic side going into this year. And it's because I'm fairly confident we're gonna see an improved team (to be fair, offense, as I'm in prove it to me mode with JDR and this D), that I'm bothered by what I see as an easy to fix gaping hole in this roster.
Like you said, we'll see, and a team can function with a weak LB group. I just think it's gonna be incredibly frustrating if halfway into the season we're like "ah it's a shame the middle of our D isn't stronger, we would have had a solid team !".

Agree - 100%
Old 08-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #1125
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:

It's something. I like the signing. Don't want him starting full-time, but he is a veteran that is still young. The team is better with him, than without him, imo. Still want to bring in 1 more type like him. Stock that room up, and see who are the last ones left come week 1.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote