Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Welcome Jahan Dotson, WR PSU - 1st Round Pick

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Grade the Commanders' first round (Dotson & trade down)
A 15 31.25%
B 23 47.92%
C 8 16.67%
D 1 2.08%
F 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2022, 06:49 AM   #16
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Welcome Jahan Dotson, WR PSU - 1st Round Pick

Daniel Jeremiah said that Jahan Dotson has "the best hands in the draft". Greg Cosell said that it's "close" between Dotson and Wilson as prospects. So, I'm good. If Samuel can get on the field and stay there next season, we should have a very good WR corps.

This deep WR draft enabled us to trade down and still grab a talented and productive WR in Round 1. Now we need to put the 3rd and 4th round picks we received in the trade to good use.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #17
Schneed10
A Dude

I think when they dropped down to 16 they were hoping Olave or Jameson Williams would be there, they won’t say that publicly of course. Slightly disappointing that it didn’t work out that way, because Olave plus the two picks would have been a coup.

Nevertheless the 3rd and the 4th rounder we picked up here should help us add two strong contributors, both of those picks will probably be guys with 2nd round grades thanks to this deep draft.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:43 AM   #18
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

If Dotson was 6'1 he would have been a top 2 WR. His speed and route running is very good. I'm happy with it, would have loved Williams but whatever.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #19
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

He had 2 drops last year with 91 Rec.. That's pretty damn legit. A WR Grade of 91.2
Old 04-29-2022, 08:02 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’m sober and slept on it…still seemed like a reach. I’m worried about his size and he seems like a slot receiver. Do you spend a first on a primarily slot receiver? Silver lining is getting much needed extra picks.

if Williams or Hamilton are blue chippers then we fucked up.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:06 AM   #21
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I think it is a safe pick his floor is pretty high. I personally wanted Olave so frustrated we had the opportunity and didn't pull the trigger. If we get a quality OL with the 3rd rounder I will probably consider it an even cover of the loss on Olave.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:13 AM   #22
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

We could have had Olave at #11. It must have been hard to pass on him because I believe he was the best deep threat in this class. Reminds me of DeSean Jackson. I definitely felt a twinge of loss when we traded down but I also believe that at this stage in the team build we needed more picks. So, we got a very good player at #16 and two nice picks. I'll have to learn to deal with it.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I really like Dyami Brown. Ben Standig said looking back at tape when he was on the field he got open a ton…Henike just didn’t care to get the ball to him.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #24
EdmundDorf
The Starter

At first glance I didn't like the pick or the trade, but after mulling it over a bit Dotson looks like he could be very good. However, outside of Cam Simms there are no big WR on the team, which could be limiting.

As for the trade, the classic trade chart says we got hosed but it seems to me that trade charts are nonsense when there is year to year variation in depth and quality of the players, especially this year. So after consideration I don't dislike it, just wish the 3rd was a bit higher, a 3rd comp pick is basically just a high 4th rounder
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #25
GridIron26
Playmaker

Just from the youtube highlights, Dotson seems like he can play.. I don't watch college football so I can't really grade this pick.. Although I'm kinda disappointed we missed out on Kyle Hamilton and Daxton Hill, but then I'm a defense guy.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #26
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

It's hard to judge WR's in college football... Defenses are so bad for the most part.

Everyone thought Jerry Jeudy was going to come in and light it up and he hasn't done much.. Every year there are guys the media hypes up to be the next superstar and they flame out.

Honestly the most crucial day is today
Old 04-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #27
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

From the youtube videos I’ve seen, the kid is a a weapon. More like a Swiss army knife, he can do it all, including throwing the ball. Let’s see how Turner uses him, should be very interesting.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #28
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I guess what bothers me is I feel when you trade down you do it when the guy or guys you wanted aren't there - so you move back. Jamison Williams was there. He was sitting right there for you to take a potentially elite player. A Terek Hill, J'Marr Chase type of player. I don't care about extra picks if you get that chance to draft someone elite. We don't have any elite players.. All I saw all year long was Williams blow past top level corners. He destroyed the best defense in the country. Why didn't they take him? Were they worried about his knee? I'm not buying that cause ACL's are common and guys come back all the time from them.

Dotson seems like a really good player by all accounts. But is he an elite player? Is he a blue chip player?? Is he a player that the defense will fear? Idk... we'll see but I would have taken Williams hands down simply because he is the type of guy that the defense has to account for. He gets respect from the safties which helps the entire offense.

But not going to kill them yet. We shall see if this was a good move or not down the line..
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:36 AM   #29
vallin21
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think when they dropped down to 16 they were hoping Olave or Jameson Williams would be there, they won’t say that publicly of course. Slightly disappointing that it didn’t work out that way, because Olave plus the two picks would have been a coup.

Nevertheless the 3rd and the 4th rounder we picked up here should help us add two strong contributors, both of those picks will probably be guys with 2nd round grades thanks to this deep draft.
I agree. They thought Hamilton, Olave, or Williams would fall to 16. That didn’t happen so they panicked and took Dotson. Getting the extra 3rd and 4th helps, but I’m convinced we could’ve traded down to the 20’s, grabbed an extra pick or two, and still got Dotson.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:38 AM   #30
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Davonte Smith is as slight as it gets and as a rookie, he had 64 receptions for 916 yards and 5 TDs. With Hurts throwing it to him.

You can play small if you run good routes and play smart.

Dotson definitely runs great routes and plucks everything. He just needs to limit taking big hits. Hopefully Wentz starts all year. Heinicke is not a good match for Dotson.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote