Cap sheet update - 11/23

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #16
ncskinsfanatic
Camp Scrub

Re: Cap sheet update - 11/23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I would keep Springs one more year if he restructures and switches to Safety, Marcus Washington needs to be upgraded. Actually we need to draft 2 LB's a DE and some OL.
See I agree with that concept but I dont think Springs will. He seems like a bit of a diva, he doesnt play with injuries whatsoever and I dont think he'll re-structure for the sake of the team. It was rumoured that he considered retirement last year and has balked at reductions/re-structures for the sake of the team in the past. While he still has talent I'd rather spend the money on extending Rogers, Campbell and re-signing Hall.

I think we can vastly upgrade the team by signing a pass rushing DT, an young speedy OLB and a G/C in free agency. That would allow us the needed flexibility with the 4 draft picks we currently have next year...
ncskinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I would keep Springs one more year if he restructures and switches to Safety, Marcus Washington needs to be upgraded. Actually we need to draft 2 LB's a DE and some OL.
The draft is simply not this team's primary method for player acquisition. I am hopeful they are starting to understand the value in the draft but they still don't place the same emphasis on the draft as do some of the other (more successful) teams in this league like Pittsburgh and New England.

I can almost guarantee that they will be looking to free agency to address their needs in the defensive front seven and probably at least one slot on their O-line as well. I'm not positive but I believe they only are going to have five selections in next year's draft.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
ncskinsfanatic
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality View Post
The draft is simply not this team's primary method for player acquisition. I am hopeful they are starting to understand the value in the draft but they still don't place the same emphasis on the draft as do some of the other (more successful) teams in this league like Pittsburgh and New England.

I can almost guarantee that they will be looking to free agency to address their needs in the defensive front seven and probably at least one slot on their O-line as well. I'm not positive but I believe they only are going to have five selections in next year's draft.
Right now its just 4 DR. A 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th.

2nd went for Taylor, 4th for Kendall and 7th for James.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #19
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskinsfanatic View Post
Right now its just 4 DR. A 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th.

2nd went for Taylor, 4th for Kendall and 7th for James.
We can always trade down and get more picks. My guess is they go for 2 FA depending on the contracts for Campbell, Rogers and Hall.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
ncskinsfanatic
Camp Scrub

Quote:
We can always trade down and get more picks. My guess is they go for 2 FA depending on the contracts for Campbell, Rogers and Hall.
I think 2 will be the minimum, I think they need an OLB with experience regardless of what they do in the draft. There should be some good ones out there, Dansby would be a nice addition imo. Also we need another DT, atleast a rotational guy with some pass rush ability and a young vet for the OL with versatility. Im not sure that we'll be able to pony up the bucks for a haynesworth type DT with all the in-house signings and extensions we'll have to do but we could add a decent FA and address it with our 1st rounder. I think it's imperative we find MW's replacement in free agency though, our LB corp is pretty thin despite the youth Blades and Fincher provide.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
I think 2 will be the minimum, I think they need an OLB with experience regardless of what they do in the draft. There should be some good ones out there, Dansby would be a nice addition imo. Also we need another DT, atleast a rotational guy with some pass rush ability and a young vet for the OL with versatility. Im not sure that we'll be able to pony up the bucks for a haynesworth type DT with all the in-house signings and extensions we'll have to do but we could add a decent FA and address it with our 1st rounder. I think it's imperative we find MW's replacement in free agency though, our LB corp is pretty thin despite the youth Blades and Fincher provide.
I'm happy with Golston and Montgomery, we need a physical speed rusher from the corner that we haven't had in years. I don't know about Peppers, he might be too expensive for what he brings, I rather draft a young guy.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
ncskinsfanatic
Camp Scrub

Quote:
I'm happy with Golston and Montgomery, we need a physical speed rusher from the corner that we haven't had in years. I don't know about Peppers, he might be too expensive for what he brings, I rather draft a young guy.
Golston and Monty are average and will both be re-stricted FA's. Corny is nearing the end of the road yet brings more than either of those two guys do. As for an explosive DE on the edge...I dont think without push up the middle we'll see much explosiuon on the edges. JT is being routinely doubled and when he wasnt in there AC was drawing two guys. Zorn even mentioned in his Presser that the lack of push in the middle is limiting JT and AC's effectiveness.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #23
#56fanatic
The Starter

some of you are mentioning J. Peppers as a free agent pickup. I have to disagree with you. I live in charlotte and the guy is just over hyped. He'll have a game or two where he plays like a stud, 2 or 3 sacks, but he is more often not seen during the game, and all of this has happened the last two or three years plus this is a contract year for him. I think we need to see where we fall in the draft first. I would rather build our young key players through the draft, but that wont be able to fill all the spots we need. I would love to get a stud at DE from the draft, and go hayensworth and OLB through free agency, filling out the OL with draft picks and maybe a veteran as a solid back up. I think Heyer and the kid we drafted last year (the name is slipping me right now) will be pretty decent players. Moving kendall to backup, and will still have fabini as a back up, and jansen if he is still on the team.

I would like to keep springs, he makes our D a ton better when he plays. Moving him to FS may be an option, but I think you are taking away reps from Horton who lets face it has been a gem of a find by vinny.

Good or bad, this organization is waiting to see how Campbell does the rest of the season before signing him to an extension. Campbell is not Zorns pick, he may work out for him, but a lot of coaches want their own guy running the offense. There are a lot of things this organization can do in the offseason, lets just hope they do some of them and stop ignoring the obvious needs.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Golston and Monty are average and will both be re-stricted FA's. Corny is nearing the end of the road yet brings more than either of those two guys do. As for an explosive DE on the edge...I dont think without push up the middle we'll see much explosiuon on the edges. JT is being routinely doubled and when he wasnt in there AC was drawing two guys. Zorn even mentioned in his Presser that the lack of push in the middle is limiting JT and AC's effectiveness.
This is a good point. It is difficult for ends to generate pressure if there isn't pressure up the middle unless they have the ability to bull rush (which neither of our ends do). If the interior of an offensive line can hold their positioning while the tackles flare out this creates the opportunity for a quarterback to step up, negating the outside pass rush.

However, if you have a disruptive interior presence that can collapse a pocket, a quarterback will have to stay deep in the pocket, which provides an opportunity for an end to come off the edge.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #25
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

I say we clear up some space and go for haynesworth
Old 11-28-2008, 05:48 PM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
I say we clear up some space and go for haynesworth
titans will re-sign him or franchise him. that's just not happening.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #27
GMScud
Swearinger

I think Springs, Jansen, possibly Kendall, MW, and Griffin will all be gone. This team is going to look very different after this year.

My worry is a bunch of Gibbs' "core guys" who have made our locker room so strong are nearing the end of their careers. I just hope the leadership torch is passed. As long as Fletch is around (which hopefully will be two more years after this season) it'll be okay.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #28
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I think Springs, Jansen, possibly Kendall, MW, and Griffin will all be gone. This team is going to look very different after this year.

My worry is a bunch of Gibbs' "core guys" who have made our locker room so strong are nearing the end of their careers. I just hope the leadership torch is passed. As long as Fletch is around (which hopefully will be two more years after this season) it'll be okay.
jansen isn't going anywhere... we'd lose money (cap space) by cutting him.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote