Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

CBA and Uncapped 2010 Season

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #31
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: CBA and Uncapped 2010 Season

Well I guess it shows how much Baseball knowledge I have. I was simply refering to taking the part about punishment for going over their salary cap. I like it better then the NFL's. However the teams making money would simply say who cares we will pay the fine and move on like the Yankees.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #32
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
I stopped reading the moment I read Baseball.

The Baseball system is horrible if you don't live in a top ten market.

Parity is very very important.

It's the very reason why the NFL is so great and MLB sucks baseBALLS.
How are you defining top 10 market
Old 04-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #33
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How are you defining top 10 market
Top ten payroll's I guess. Most are obviously the biggest metropolitan areas in America, but some mid-sized cities with massive baseball traditions can afford to pay high end rosters.

Baseball's system works very very well for all the owners because even if you are a small market team and can't realistically compete you still get paid a massive portion of shared add revenues.

Also there have been seven different World Series champs in the last eight years, but one thing is for certain.

Teams in the bottom 1/3 in payroll have around a ten percent chance of making the postseason according to the stats in an article I read recently.

Last edited by wilsowilso; 04-22-2009 at 01:32 AM.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Top ten payroll's I guess. Most are obviously the biggest metropolitan areas in America, but some mid-sized cities with massive baseball traditions can afford to pay high end rosters.

Baseball's system works very very well for all the owners because even if you are a small market team and can't realistically compete you still get paid a massive portion of shared add revenues.

Also there have been seven different World Series champs in the last eight years, but one thing is for certain.

Teams in the bottom 1/3 in payroll have around a ten percent chance of making the postseason according to the stats in an article I read recently.
I see. I guess I just see all the different teams making it to and in some cases winning the World Series and I see teams like Minnesota, Colorado, Florida, San Diego, Tampa Bay having some post season success and I wasn't sure where you were coming from.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #35
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I agree. Getting a top 5 pick is not as attractive as it used to be because of the money. I can understand vets having a problem with this also.
the flip side to this was said by the late great gene upshaw. the vets dont want a rookie cap b/c these ridiculous contracts given out give them a very high ceiling to work with.

look at robert galery, got paid a ton of money as a rookie and has struggled to the point i think they moved him to guard, then when an elite tackle/guard comes to the table to negotiate a contract he says "gallery is getting paid 10 mil a year, im way better than him so you gotta pay me more."

so while vets should be alil mad/jealous at these unproven havent-taken-a-single-snap rookies getting paid more than them, they also realize the more money the rookies make the higher the ceiling gets for all players salaries.

go skins!!
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #36
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I stopped reading the moment I read Baseball.

The Baseball system is horrible if you don't live in a top ten market.

Parity is very very important.

It's the very reason why the NFL is so great and MLB sucks baseBALLS.
Wildly inaccurate. Horrendous post dude, especially considering this post preceded yours:

http://www.thewarpath.net/salary-cap...tml#post539379

Recent winners or runners-up in the World Series:
- Florida Marlins
- Colorado Rockies
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Detroit Tigers

Meanwhile the team with by far the most bloated payroll in baseball, the Yankees, hasn't made the series since 2003.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #37
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Wildly inaccurate. Horrendous post dude, especially considering this post preceded yours:

- Florida Marlins
- Colorado Rockies
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Detroit Tigers

Meanwhile the team with by far the most bloated payroll in baseball, the Yankees, hasn't made the series since 2003.
Well a while ago I posted a comparison between baseball and football's championship games to see how many big market vs. small market teams had made to the championship game in each sport. While lately small market/low payroll teams in MLS have made it to the World Series, the NFL still has a larger number of small market/low payroll teams making it to the Superbowl over the past 20 years. I'll try to dig that up when I get home.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #38
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

- Florida Marlins
- Colorado Rockies
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Detroit Tigers

Tell that to the fans of the three other teams in the AL East besides the Yankees and the Red Sox. Once in a decade the Rays finally put together a strong team because they were able to stockpile lots of young talent.

Yes some small market teams have had success recently in baseball, but it has been very short term success every time.

MLB is desperate for people to think that there is competitive balance, but there really isn't.

Just because the Yanks are run by idiots doesn't mean a team with a massive payroll doesn't have a huge advantage.

You argue that the Yanks prove that spending more doesn't translate.
Have a look at the Red Sox.

Maybe the baseball system is really starting to work because of the large percentage of revenue sharing, but I still think it's mostly a mirage.

It's not impossible for small market teams to compete for a short term, but they would have had to make all the right decisions for an extended period of building compared to the big spenders who can reload every single year and it's even harder for them to keep a team together because once they get good those young star players will more than likely end up in a bigger market.

Last edited by wilsowilso; 04-22-2009 at 05:45 PM.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

^ Ok, lets take a look at the Skins. Although the CAPs are different, I know, They are one of the top market teams. Has one of the highiest payrolls. Used to go all out every year and get top name top dollar free agents and it got us nowhere. Everyone was up in arms for the Skins to start building a team through the draft.....just like the small market teams have to do due to money constraints. It got us nowhere. Only the last few yrs have we picked in the draft and kept most of who we drafted. In the past we simply would let over half of the draft picks go or claimed it was piss poor picking.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #40
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Tell that to the fans of the three other teams in the AL East besides the Yankees and the Red Sox. Once in a decade the Rays finally put together a strong team because they were able to stockpile lots of young talent.

Yes some small market teams have had success recently in baseball, but it has been very short term success every time.

MLB is desperate for people to think that there is competitive balance, but there really isn't.

Just because the Yanks are run by idiots doesn't mean a team with a massive payroll doesn't have a huge advantage.

You argue that the Yanks prove that spending more doesn't translate.
Have a look at the Red Sox.

Maybe the baseball system is really starting to work because of the large percentage of revenue sharing, but I still think it's mostly a mirage.

It's not impossible for small market teams to compete for a short term, but they would have had to make all the right decisions for an extended period of building compared to the big spenders who can reload every single year and it's even harder for them to keep a team together because once they get good those young star players will more than likely end up in a bigger market.
And not so coincidentally, MLB's revenue sharing agreement and luxury tax system went into effect just as those small market teams started doing better.

I can't argue in favor of baseball's old system sans revenue sharing, but ever since they put that in place, it's been a tremendous equalizer.

You seem to have completely forgotten that not-so-little detail.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #41
GMScud
Swearinger

Mistake post