Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Colts-Redskins Postgame Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #46
calia
Playmaker

Re: Colts-Redskins Postgame Thread

I still cannot get over how flat they were. Seriously, what the hell was that? How does that happen? It better no happen next week or they're going to be slaughtered, and then people really will be calling for Gruden to get canned during the bye week.

To be clear, I don't want people to overreact, even though I have (and have had for a while now) some real concerns about our coaching staff -- no adjustments, too many games where they come out flat, lack of imaginative play calling to create individual mismatches, poor talent acquisition. But a bad loss at home after a strong win on the road is not cause for panic. Concern, sure. Frustration, absolutely. And I also concede that it's really hard not to be pissed off when it seems to happen year after year. But this team is still really early on in this season. Let's see where we are at week 8 or so -- we do have a lot of new players (including at the key QB spot) and a lot of starters coming back from injury, particularly on offense (Williams, Luavo, Scherff, Moses, Thompson, Reed). I know -- other teams have those issues too, but there were few teams as beat up as we were last year. And so there are few teams that will need to make the kind of rebound from that which we still haven't yet made.

Advertisements
Old 09-16-2018, 11:40 PM   #47
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
2016 nfl draft: Fucking fuck you fucks
Welcome to the Warpath, Samuel L. Jackson.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #48
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Read more than 1 article with players mentioning low energy. How the fuck do you already not have energy in the 2nd week of the season? Especially coming off a win and being the 1st home game. That's such a huge indictment on Jay Gruden, moreso, than any x's and o's. Terrible.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #49
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

This team was flat from the very beginning starting with the D allowing long runs. Then the offense with Peterson couldn’t do anything, how about trying Kelly and see if he could at least move the ball? Smith is afraid to throw deep, didn’t see any deep balls last week either. One last thing, Norman and Kerrigan should be gone next year with the amount of $$$ they are making and lack of productivity.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #50
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
We don't need any CBs. We need LG and WR

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

And edge rusher, rb, qb, head coach, new staff, and a better stadium.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:02 AM   #51
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
Agree with skinsfan69, he was looking at Reed and came off him when he was about to be wide open. Luvao's incompetence should have been irrelevant on this play, this one was all on Alex.
The worst part about this play is it should have been an easy pre snap read for Smith cause a LB was on Reed. He should have saw that and never came off of him. That sack is 100% on the QB, even though Luvao gets abused and ends up on his ass.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:36 AM   #52
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Read more than 1 article with players mentioning low energy. How the fuck do you already not have energy in the 2nd week of the season? Especially coming off a win and being the 1st home game. That's such a huge indictment on Jay Gruden, moreso, than any x's and o's. Terrible.
I just imagine Gruden hung a "Mission Accomplished" banner at Redskins Park after week 1, looking that flat is a total indictment of the HC not preparing them.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:22 AM   #53
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Negatives are pretty obvious, and plentiful.

So I'd like to focus on the positives of this game, not to deny the negatives, but to temper the "burn the house down" (legitimate) feeling:

I'd like to make the case that despite the lack of pass rush, our D played a solid game. So here's a breakdown of all yesterday's game's possessions:

-Colts: 11 plays, 75 yards, 5:35, TD
-Skins: 5 plays, 31 yards, 2:48 PUNT
-Colts: 4 plays, 4 yards, 1:39 PUNT
-Skins: 8 plays, 16 yards, 4:01 PUNT
-Colts: 8 plays, 58 yards, 2:48 INT
-Skins: 5 plays, 27 yards, 1:57 FG (49yards)
-Colts: 8 plays, 75 yards, 4:21 TD (big PI call on Moreau for 37 yards)
-Skins: 4 plays, 4 yards, 1:25 PUNT
-Colts: 4 plays, 8 yards, 1:27 PUNT
-Skins: 8 plays, 7 yards, 2:07 PUNT
-Colts: 4 plays, 6 yards, 0:57 PUNT
-Skins: 6 plays, 54 yards, 0:50 MISSED FG (49 yards)
-Colts: kneel down HALF.
-Skins: 10 plays, 38 yards, 4:22 PUNT
-Colts: 3 plays, 0 yards 1:21 INT
-Skins: 7 plays, 20 yards, 3:37 FG (27yards)
-Colts: 4 plays, 5 yards, 1:05 PUNT
-Skins: 11 plays, 42 yards, 6:07 FG (49 yards) (14 to 9, 13:28 to play)
-Colts: 13 plays, 75 yards, 5:56 TD (21 to 9, 7:32 to play)
-Skins: 8 plays, 46 yards, 2:33 FUMBLE (this definitely killed the game)
-Colts: 6 plays, 22 yards, 1:12 PUNT
-Skins: 13 plays, 3:29 TOD
-Colts: kneel down EOTG

So basically, out of 10 legit possessions, the Redskins Defense allowed 4 drives, one ended with an INT, 3 with TDs.

Put another way: 10 Colts' possessions, 5 punts, 2 turnovers.

IMO this loss is like 90% on the Offense, they kept giving the ball back. Longest drive was 54 yards (missed FG before the half), longest in TOP was 6:07 and it was late in the game.

The first drive of the game was unacceptable, but this Defense gave us a chance: 14 to 9 with 13:28 left in the 4th was a miracle with how poorly the offense played! 21 to 9 with 7:32 to play is still a winnable game, you should be able to come back from a 12 points deficit in football!

Again, they did give up 4 long drives (3 TD, 1 INT), but the other 6 possessions combined, they allowed: 0 points, 45 yards and 7:41 of game time. That's 7.5 yards and 1:17 per possession.
Yes, when they couldn't stop them once they got in our Redzone, but my point is during most of the game they did a really good job of quickly giving the ball back to the Offense, which didn't do anything with it.

Have to watch it again, but from the top of my head I'd say the middle of our Dline, Mason Foster, Dj Swearinger and Dunbar all played well.

Agree with those saying the biggest negative is how flat and unprepared the Offense (and the D on the first drive) looked . After a big week 1 win on the road, this is unacceptable, unforgivable and inexplicable...

But talent is (mostly) here, and we're 1-1, first in a division that doesn't look as good as everyone expected.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #54
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
If these guys need the coaching staff to give them energy with the chance to go 2-0 in the home opener then this team has the wrong players.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #55
MTK
\m/

Piss poor performance across the board, more so on the offense IMO.

Gotta rebound against GB.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #56
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
If these guys need the coaching staff to give them energy with the chance to go 2-0 in the home opener then this team has the wrong players.
Agreed.

Sometimes it's more about locker room leaders than coaches. Or at the very least, if your coach can't do it, captains should be able to!

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #57
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
and edge rusher, rb, qb, head coach, new staff, and a better stadium.
new owner
Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #58
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Heard a great breakdown by Craig Huffman driving into work. Really good observations from tape...Breakdown

Offense:

1. Put the loss on the O-line and Jay Gruden inability to change the gameplan at somepoint in the 2nd quarter.

A. Oline was bad across the board with pass and run blocking. Everyone had a bad game. Moses, Luavao especially....even Trent wasn't good. Huffman said the injury to Trent makes him nervous to hear about today from Jay.

B. Game plan was typical Jay Gruden....forget what worked last week and came out trying to throw deep and get chunk plays. Colts were expecting it and played a soft zone with over the top help. Colts outcoached Jay Gruden fairly easy. Only after halftime did Jay adjust which if he did earlier in the game, might have resulted in touchdowns. Jay went to quick throws second half with paid off. Overall play calls weren't good.

C. WR and QB play... WRs: Doctson and P Rich need to make the tough catches. They missed 2 huge catches. Doctson early, Rich later. Jordan Reed cant fumble that ball...poor execution. QB:A. Smith had rarely anytime to throw...when he did, he missed a couple guys running open in the second half. He had happy feet from the rush and never was in rhythm til second half.

D. Cant blame the Running backs this game...they never had any lanes.

Defense:

A: Defense overall all wasn't terrible, but Manusky could have adjusted to Zone coverage on 3rd down defense earlier. Colts ran pick plays in Man coverage which killed the skins. The Hilton TD was a pick play and several first downs first half were picks.

B: Pass rush needs to be better and more consistent.

Looks like Oline and Jay gruden loss this one folks
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #59
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

If I knew nothing about the game other than Luck's stats, I would have said we smoked them. Worst offensive performance I've seen out of them in a loooong time. I'm not blaming Smith either. He was dinking and dunking because that's ALL that was available. If we picked them apart early with that, we might have won. I blame the offensive line, plain and simple. For having a "top five line" we got absolutely worked against nobody.

All this being said, I expect us to compete with the Packers this weekend because... Redskins.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #60
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Here's a concerning stat for you..

Ryan Kerrigan after 2 games..

0 Sacks, O hits on the QB. 1 Tackle. Yes 1 tackle.