Breaking News on team name

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #76
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Breaking News on team name

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
IF, the name ever must change (which would be ridiculous), they ought to just change it to a specific tribe name or something, that way logo and everything can stay the same. There's too much risk in a big change because I'm sure you would have a good portion of fans check out because they'd be upset.
Wrong! Nobody is checking out because of a name change.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 AM   #77
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

If the team is ever forced to drop the name Redskins, I favor the idea proposed here that the team simply go with Washington and no nickname because, well, **** the extremist PC bastards.

The PC crowd are a bunch of hypocrites anyway. They do not respect all people and avoid offending them. In fact, they use language to denigrate huge segments of the people. For example, white men:

They call women "Women".
They call minority men "Men".
They call minority women "Women of Color".
They call white men "white males".

So, they use the word "males" to set white men apart from their brothers and sisters as if white men were another, lesser species. I say that because we all use the term "male" when referring to other species. All males of our species were called "men" until radical feminist propagandists came along and started using the term "white male" to alienate and denigrate white men.

Today, I hear many young white men referring to themselves as "white males". They have been brainwashed into putting themselves down and they don't even realize it. Yet I'm offended by the term, so I'd like the hypocritical liberal press to either stop using it or to STFU about the nickname "Redskins".
Old 05-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #78
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This was well written and well thought out. Kudos for level headed thinking and reconsidering one's own views in light of fresh information.
It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....especially when you first make a big public stance on it. I have always had a very high opinion of Native American's and in a way, wish I could have experienced that way of life prior to Europeans...I am 50 and have been a Redskins fan all my life. In my youth, we would play cowboys and indians. On TV, the cowboys were good and the indians were bad...but on the playground, in the DC area, we all fought over who got to be the indians. Redskins team positive influence? of course!
We all love the Redskins name...but more importantly, what it represents...in a way...it represents the innocent, the misunderstood, the mistreated....and as a kid we could all relate to that. We wanted the underdog to win!
Think of Clark Kent, misunderstood with those who thought we was a little guy and forgotten...in reality, he was Superman. There are also religious characters that give us the same lesson. So....when you are disrespected and put down, you need to understand you are much greater than what the world says of you. I love the concept of supporting a people that were mistreated, honorable and somewhat forgotten. Someone's got to do it for them. They deserve HIGH HONOR! Hail to the Redskins! and Hail to our original True Americans!! You deserve better than we've given you for the last 500 years!

I honestly think we should honor different tribes at all halftime shows....unfortunately, cynics would see this as "selling-out" or Snyder "buying' loyalty. But, we should really teach our children what has happened and educate our fan base to give high honor.

Also, please note, the indian on the helmet is essentially the same as on the US govt issued buffalo nickle at the time the redskins name was created...there was nothing but honor associated to that....and "red"skins was selected (after braves) primarily since it was now associated to the boston "red"socks playing in the same stadium....it made a ton of sense and had double meaning...and perhaps saved a ton of branding money to not have to change colors for the 2 teams. No one really knows the full detail, and I may have a couple items wrong...but knowing the history certainly helps.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #79
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Yeah as really need to be creative over the name should it changed.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #80
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Great article. Still unsure why he won't use the name (did he explain?)...
Old 05-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #81
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Yeah as really need to be creative over the name should it changed.
The Burgundy and Gold. Same uniform; same logo.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #82
Evilgrin
The Starter

I'm glad the post did an independant poll, it needed to be done. I couldn't really listen to people on either side talk about it, because it was hard to trust the information. Mike Wise always is such a contrarian on everything for example.

Hopefully no one lets Snyder off the hook for anything, the guy buys a backhoe for a tribe as soon as the name controversy starts up.

Redskins #2 In Revenue Per Year!
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #83
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The Burgundy and Gold. Same uniform; same logo.
Same name too

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #84
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Hey...things are looking up in keeping the Redskin name and trade mark

Supreme Court strikes down law blocking disparaging trademarks - CNNPolitics.com

Washington (CNN)The Supreme Court struck down part of a federal law that denies trademark protection of terms that disparage living or dead.

The ruling could benefit the NFL's Washington Redskins, whose trademark was canceled based on the same law in a separate proceeding.
"Holding that the registration of a trademark converts the mark into government speech would constitute a huge and dangerous extension of the government-speech doctrine, for other systems of government registration (such as copyright) could easily be characterized in the same way," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion.

"The commercial market is well stocked with merchandise that disparages prominent figures and groups, and the line between commercial and non-commercial speech is not always clear, as this case illustrates," Alito added. "If affixing the commercial label permits the suppression of any speech that may lead to political or social 'volatility,' free speech would be endangered."
The case at hand involves Simon Tam, an Asian-American musician and political activist who named his rock band "The Slants" in an attempt to take back a term that once directed as an insult. He sought to register the name with the trademark office.
The request was denied on the ground that it is disparaging to "persons of Asian descent."

But it has wider impact.
"The case also has obvious implications for the similar dispute involving the Washington Redskins, who had their trademark canceled under the same statute and theory that the justices invalidated today," said Steve Vladeck, CNN legal analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of law. "It should now follow that their trademark also should not have been invalidated."

The Washington Redskins Attorney Lisa Blatt said the team was "thrilled" with the decision.

"The Team is thrilled with today's unanimous decision as it resolves the Redskins' long-standing dispute with the government," she told CNN in a statement. "The Supreme Court vindicated the Team's position that the First Amendment blocks the government from denying or canceling a trademark registration based on the government's opinion."

Hail to the Redskins!
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #85
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangee7 View Post
Hey...things are looking up in keeping the Redskin name and trade mark

Supreme Court strikes down law blocking disparaging trademarks - CNNPolitics.com

Washington (CNN)The Supreme Court struck down part of a federal law that denies trademark protection of terms that disparage living or dead.

The ruling could benefit the NFL's Washington Redskins, whose trademark was canceled based on the same law in a separate proceeding.
"Holding that the registration of a trademark converts the mark into government speech would constitute a huge and dangerous extension of the government-speech doctrine, for other systems of government registration (such as copyright) could easily be characterized in the same way," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion.

"The commercial market is well stocked with merchandise that disparages prominent figures and groups, and the line between commercial and non-commercial speech is not always clear, as this case illustrates," Alito added. "If affixing the commercial label permits the suppression of any speech that may lead to political or social 'volatility,' free speech would be endangered."
The case at hand involves Simon Tam, an Asian-American musician and political activist who named his rock band "The Slants" in an attempt to take back a term that once directed as an insult. He sought to register the name with the trademark office.
The request was denied on the ground that it is disparaging to "persons of Asian descent."

But it has wider impact.
"The case also has obvious implications for the similar dispute involving the Washington Redskins, who had their trademark canceled under the same statute and theory that the justices invalidated today," said Steve Vladeck, CNN legal analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of law. "It should now follow that their trademark also should not have been invalidated."

The Washington Redskins Attorney Lisa Blatt said the team was "thrilled" with the decision.

"The Team is thrilled with today's unanimous decision as it resolves the Redskins' long-standing dispute with the government," she told CNN in a statement. "The Supreme Court vindicated the Team's position that the First Amendment blocks the government from denying or canceling a trademark registration based on the government's opinion."

Hail to the Redskins!
I saw that. Fuck you Costas, Peter King, Obama, Olbermann and all other Douchebags that wanted a name change. HTTR FOREVER!!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 06-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #86
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
I saw that. Fuck you Costas, Peter King, Obama, Olbermann and all other Douchebags that wanted a name change. HTTR FOREVER!!!
Yes! That and This!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #87
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I was on NFL.coms home page and I didn't see a reference to the SCOTUS ruling anywhere. No way there is anything more important that happened nfl related today, let alone 30 things. Maybe it was up earlier, what a joke it's either already down or somehow didn't make it up.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #88
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I was on NFL.coms home page and I didn't see a reference to the SCOTUS ruling anywhere. No way there is anything more important that happened nfl related today, let alone 30 things. Maybe it was up earlier, what a joke it's either already down or somehow didn't make it up.
Well the Redskins News site doesn't have anything on it either.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #89
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

time for rich white elitists to move on to something else. The people who love and appreciate freedom won this one.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #90
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well the Redskins News site doesn't have anything on it either.
That site is part of the NFL network. No surprise or coincidence there. It's an absolute joke.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote