Om Field: Three Keys to MNF vs Steelers

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: Three Keys to MNF vs Steelers

Three Keys to MNF vs Steelers
Nov. 3, 2008

Had a longer list working, but in the end I distilled it down to three keys. Well ... four actually. Couldn't help myself.

See if you don't agree.

1. Jason Campbell will need to take another step up. His overall play this year has been above reproach—witness zero interceptions reflecting excellent decision-making with the ball. But that care does has not come without a cost.

The kind of quick-strike touchdowns that can break close, defensive games open rarely come from conservative decisions, they more often than not come from bold downfield forays to receivers that are, by conservative standards, “covered.”

I’ve been watching Campbell closely for signs of finding enough of a comfort level in the new passing scheme, and in Jim Zorn’s trust factor, to start taking some chances downfield … and my instinct is telling me the Redskins will need him to take the risk tonight. Ball control and field goals won’t be enough.

2. Avoid the Slow Start. The Redskins have developed a troubling habit of winning the yardage and time of possession battles early, but failing to turn them into points. That won’t cut it tonight either. Falling behind by more than a score against a pass-rush-happy team like Pittsburgh, particularly with a slowed or absent Chris Samuels on Jason Campbell’s blind side, could be too much to overcome.

Here’s hoping the Redskins come out swinging from the opening gun and be the ones to set the early tone—not the other way around, as has been the case since the Philadelphia game in week four.

CLICK HERE to read more

-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Om Field: Three Keys to MNF vs Steelers

"Losing to the Steelers wouldn’t be a disaster—at 6-3, Washington would still be in prime position to make a playoff run. But it would be a huge missed opportunity to announce to the league—and more importantly, themselves—that at they are now one of those teams you’d better have your chinstrap locked down tight against from the opening gun."

I couldn't agree more. We're respected, but you get the feeling the pundits aren't really sold on us. We win narrowly and often times in ugly fashion, we aren't really flashy in any way, and we don't force turnovers or sacks- those sexy plays that dominate highlight reels. The key word for me is opporunity. Boy oh boy do we have a big one tonight.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-03-2008 at 01:01 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The only part I disagree with, at least for this game, is "Avoid the slow start". I want us to avoid it, I would love us finally to come out quick, hit em hard, and keep em down. But one thing I love about this years skins (even in the Rams game) is they never give up. If Pitt comes out and draws first blood, I am positive the Skins will ramp it up and make it close at the end.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

And I don't see Pitt running away with it. Our D will hold their own. I am sure. (as long as we aren't playing in a supermarket, our d would not be allowed to work there )
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
cdskins26
Special Teams

The slow start only is a problem if Pittsburgh doesnt have a slow start. IMO the majority of the points will be scored in the 4th qtr.
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
redsk1
The Starter

Great post. We don't have to win this game. Sure we'd all be pretty happy at 6-2. However, it's a good opportunity to sieze some opportunities tonight.

I don't think JC has been too conservative though, although i do undertand what you are saying. I don't think JZ is in JC's ear about not throwing a pick. Good post though, and you know our D is going to smack someone in the mouth. They generally do.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The only part I disagree with, at least for this game, is "Avoid the slow start". I want us to avoid it, I would love us finally to come out quick, hit em hard, and keep em down. But one thing I love about this years skins (even in the Rams game) is they never give up. If Pitt comes out and draws first blood, I am positive the Skins will ramp it up and make it close at the end.
No real disagreement. Given the choice, I'd rather have them finish strong than start strong too. I'm just not prepared to concede that the two are mutually exclusive.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote