Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Return Of Lavar

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #61
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

BigSKINBauer. First of all, Lavar decided NOT to drop the arbitration even though both his agent, himself, and the NFLPA read the contract and signed it. Meaning that six million dollars is not his. He's already the highest paid linebacker in football, and if he signed a contract without it, fuck him. He can go weep in his 20 room mansion, but I'm sure no one will hear him.

Have something to tell you here - players push for cash when they're free agents. You'd do the exact same thing Smoot is doing. Arrington is very undiciplined and is too much of a fool to be as big of a commodity as you see him. A linebacker telling the front office he should have a say in personel decesions? A linebacker who doesn't want to be a student of the game. A linebacker that talks about being a leader till the going gets tough. Lavar is the 2nd most gifted defensive player we have. His physical attributes are great. However, Lavar has a long way to go to be a great player.

Williams likes the 3-4 defense huh? Guess that's why he's never run one in the tenure of his career, maybe a few formations, but a majority of his defense is played out of the 4-3, always has been.

BigSKINBauer - people with brains refrain from talking in all caps and come into a conversation with at least a few facts. I suggest you do the same.

No one is asking for LaVar to be traded - his cap number simply wouldn't allow it. However, if you tell me we can have the best WR in the league for Arrington, I'd take it in a heart beat. It's hypothetical, but Marshall played solid at LaVars position. Had Lavar been there, we would have had more spectacular plays, but we also would have had more over-run and big gain plays for the other team. Our defense will be slightly better with Lavar, but not enough to make THAT big of a difference.

Advertisements
Old 02-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #62
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer
Wolf people with brains actually got your back anyone who says that our defense would be the same w/o lavar is dumb. For example not to dish on Marshall( he did great in his situation coming in for the best lolb in the leage) but ESPN put out its 2004-2005 allstar team. On defense, Marcus Washington was named best SLB in the leage!!!! then Pierce best middle in any 4-3 Deffense and Farrior and Spike took the other two spots, I see 2 redskins but not the third guy, THIS PROVES WE WOULD BE BETTER. EVERY DEFENSIVE PLAYER ON THE TEAM IMPROVED "THE NO-NAME DEFENSE" IT IS IDIOTIC TO SAY THE ONLY PLAYER WITH A NAME PRIOR TO THE BEGGINING OF THE SEASON WOULD NOT IMPROVE, BOWEN WAS GREAT IN THE FIRST GAME BUT JUST OK LAST YEAR, SMOOT HAS IMPROVED AND WE ARE BETTER WITHOUT TROTTER,ARMSTEAD, AND BAILEY. ARRINGTON WOULD HAVE IMPROVED TO BE THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER THEREFORE MVP. HE GETS INJURED AND ALL YOU F#$#s descide he should be traded, what the hell is wrong with you. THIS MAN UNLIKE SMOOT IS NOT ARRGUING FOR EXTRA MONEY WHICH IS RIGHTFULLY HIS, HE SAID HE DIDN'T WANT TO PUT THE TEAM THROUGH THAT TROUBLE. HE HAS HEART AND HALF OF YOU SEEM THAT IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO GET A B##$# LIKE SMOOT BACK HE USED TO BE MY FAVORITE PLAYER BUT ARGUES FOR 2 MILLION DOLLORS AND IS PREPARED TO LEAVE. WTF. ARRINGTON IS LOSING 7 MILLION AND SAYS ITS OK AND THAT HE WILL FORGIVE BUT NOT FORGET. ANSWER BACK AND I'LL GIVE YOU REASONS TO ANY DEFENSE THAT YOU HAVE TO TRADE HIM

THINK ABOUT 3-4 WHICH WILLIAMS LIKES WITH ARRINGTON, BARROW, PIERCE AND WASHINGTON WHO ESPN NAMED THE BEST LINEBACKERS AT THIER POSITIONS!!

Speak up, we can barely hear you.

While I agree that this defense would be better with LaVar on the outside starting, instead of Marshall I don't think that those that think otherwise-such as Offiss-are F#$#$ for thinking otherwise.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that the bonus in question is rightfully his but he hasn't abandoned the case. The case is still expected to be disputed, sometime in June I think.

As for Smoot, he's a free agent and he's negotiating for the best deal he can possibly get. LaVar would be doing the same if he were in the same boat right now.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #63
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

he gets hurt and you all turn on him wtf
Old 02-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #64
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

2002-2003
11.5 sacks overrated my ass!
PEPPERS 10 SACKS AVERAGE OVER LAST 3 YEARS
Old 02-13-2005, 05:35 PM   #65
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
he gets hurt and you all turn on him wtf

Were all turning on him?? I'm pretty sure 90% of the people on this site are agreeing that our defense is going to be much better with LaVar back. Now, I disagree with Offiss, but I will vouch for him and say that he has had this opinion for a while; he didnt just turn on him.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #66
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quotes from you all

lavar could be elite if he were to be more of a student of the game, he relies solely on his athletic ability. With that being said, Lavar is in on everyplay, and is there for every tackle.

“Did someone call LaVar a leader? Classic comedy! Whiner - not a leader” Daseal

It's his lack of concentration and education to play his position. He overpursues many, many plays. As many big plays as LaVar makes, he also gives up a big play with counters, etc.
Daseal

I don't see LaVar as the leader of our defense. To me - Fred Smoot has that role. Daseal

I am not a big Lavar fan he's way overated, he's judged by his athletisism and not as a football player in which I think he is not, he's just another physically gifted player who doesn't have an instinct for the game.
----- offiss

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I would love to see LA traded ---irish

Sorry to tell you this buddy but LaVar is not that good ---saden1

(RAY LEWIS OVER RATED - 114.875 tackles a year omitting hurt year) My opinion

heh, LaVar has been labeled overrated for some time. He's exciting to watch and has a personallity like McNabb's that draws the media to him. However, Peppers is an amazing player who would impact our defense more. I'd like to see a poll on who you'd take - peppers or lavar. It would be interesting (assuming no salary cap implications, etc.) DEASEL

lavar could be elite if he were to be more of a student of the game, he relies solely on his athletic ability. With that being said, Lavar is in on everyplay, and is there for every tackle.
Daseal

Last edited by BigSKINBauer; 02-13-2005 at 05:58 PM. Reason: not full explaination
Old 02-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #67
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Five of those quotes are from Daseal, it's not like those are the opinions of 10 different people
Old 02-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #68
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

look who responded to my message, deasal did first so i posted that people were turning on lavar thats it my fault for saying all but deasal also posted more messages than anyone then prolly me
Old 02-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #69
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

No one is saying LaVar is not a good peice to our team, hell hes a great peice of our team. However, he is getting paid to be the best Linebacker in the league, and he is not that right now, he's just not. I really dont think his injury had anything to do with anyone's opinion. In Fact, I bet alot of people here think that LaVar did pretty well, coming back to still play two worthless games at the end of the year. Half of those quotes werent people "Turning on LaVar". People were just pointing out their opinions that they dont think he is the best linebacker in the league, or he is not the leader of our defense. I think everyone here respects LaVar's ability, and the majority of people are happy he is on our team and not another team. Some people would like to trade him, which is fine, there are very few people who do. Alot of us just think he still has some things to prove. He is a good linebacker in the NFL, he just needs to take his game to the next level and become an elite linebacker.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #70
wolfeskins
The Starter

thanks for the back up bigskinbauer, theres definately some people on this sight that have forgotten how good lavar is and feel the skins don't need him any more. i'm not quite sure what happened to their loyalty, remember lavar didn't have to restructure is contract , he could have said to himself "i've been here 4 years and i've played for 4 differrent defensive coordinaters, i'm outta here whem my contract is up" but he didn't , he stayed and it wasn't just for the $ because he would have been paid alot by whoever got him, he stayed out of loyalty and said himself that he wanted to be a part of the redskins building into a championship team. he gets hurt and people forget all the good things. shame on them but i'm pretty much done talking about it. they have their opinion and we have ours.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #71
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

to say that he is not a student of the game, that he is overrated, that we would trade him in a heartbeat, saying that smoot is a bigger leader which I believe is not true, that he is overrated,... some not all just believe what the media portrays i don't understand how a player who can single handedly change a season from going down the drain as one of the worst, to actually coming back to have a chance is not a leader. His interseption gave the team a spirit that we could do it, that spirit is stemed from leadership, I understand that we do have other leaders which is great and I try not to be biased, Smoot USED TO BE my favorite player but i don't believe he is a better leader. Some leaders on our team would be Coles, Springs, and Pierce. I do not put smoot anywhere near that catagory and I hope Daesal tells me why he thinks Smoot is more of a leader. Lavar's inspiration is what drove this team to that success and he would be playing in the probowl in about 25 minutes if he were not to get hurt.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #72
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

you can claim to but one year ago no one would say he wasn't the face of this team, the leader the role model, I believe he has the love for this team as many other players do not. THe city loves him i am just stuned to see that there are only a few who are behind him, all of you may not be against him but few are behind him.

NEXT YEAR --56--
Old 02-14-2005, 02:02 AM   #73
offiss

Re: Return Of Lavar

Quote:
to say that he is not a student of the game, that he is overrated, that we would trade him in a heartbeat, saying that smoot is a bigger leader which I believe is not true, that he is overrated,... some not all just believe what the media portrays i don't understand how a player who can single handedly change a season from going down the drain as one of the worst, to actually coming back to have a chance is not a leader. His interseption gave the team a spirit that we could do it, that spirit is stemed from leadership, I understand that we do have other leaders which is great and I try not to be biased, Smoot USED TO BE my favorite player but i don't believe he is a better leader. Some leaders on our team would be Coles, Springs, and Pierce. I do not put smoot anywhere near that catagory and I hope Daesal tells me why he thinks Smoot is more of a leader. Lavar's inspiration is what drove this team to that success and he would be playing in the probowl in about 25 minutes if he were not to get hurt.
I will tell you how Smoot is a leader he play's hurt and sacrifices his body no matter how much pain he is in for the team, his play makes him a leader, you wont find him on the sidelines with pain, only an injury where he couldn't play, Smoot play's with a big heart. How's are defense been with Lavar on the field? We haven't stopped anyone, with Lavar out this year we were #1 most of the year and finished in the top 3, and what a comparison for Lavar to an undrafted journeymen in Marshall, If we can finish in the top 3 with the way our offense played this year keeping the defense on the field for 2/3rd's of the game with a journeymen LB how much more of an impact will Lavar have? I say not remotly enough to live up to that contract he was given, the one he signed and now is crying about because he was to stupid to read it and to stupid to hire a real agent who could read it, the fact is he is already way overpaid I can't imagine us agreeing to an additional 6 million, and yet he is still crying about it. Smoot has every right to try and get a big contract just as Lavar did, you have to have some brain's to be a leader and Smoot is much smarter than Lavar, Smoot fired the Poston's a long time ago!

It also seem's you have hung Lavar's entire carreer on 1 play, yes 1 play, big deal! Did we win a SB that year I am not aware of? Did we make the playoff's? The answer of coarse is no, so please stop with the shot heard around the world analogies please.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #74
Schneed10
A Dude

1) The defense got decent pressure on the QB this past season due to the Gregg Williams blitz packages. But if we had Lavar in there, you can line him up on passing downs as a DE, and then you don't need to blitz as many defenders. You send Lavar, dropping LBs and safeties into coverage, and lo and behold Lavar's pressure results in a hurried throw by the QB. And when you've got guys in coverage, and hurried throws by the QB, you get more interceptions. And we saw in 2002-2003 he had 11.5 sacks, so we know Lavar can get to the QB.

2) Trading Lavar is a financial impossibility. Trading him would hit our cap with $20 million in 2005. Just so you know, the team has only about $4-$5 million in room right now.

3) I think that Lavar and Smoot bring a lot of energy to the field, they're fierce, passionate, and emotional players. But the leader of the D is Antonio Pierce. He calls all the signals, studies the opposing offenses, and lines his teammates up accordingly. When rookies like Sean Taylor don't know their responsibility on a certain play call, they look to Pierce to set them straight. See, you have Gregg Williams on the sidelines calling plays before the snap, and he is a brilliant defensive mind. But once the offense lines up, Gregg Williams can't help you anymore. It's up to the players to adjust to formations and pre-snap motion, and Antonio Pierce is the guy who calls out those adjustments. Gregg Williams is reason 1 why the D was so great this year, but Pierce is reason 1a. He is the leader now, he's earned that role on the team.

All that said, Lavar makes the team so much better. Mainly because of the big play and turnover potential.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:17 AM   #75
FRPLG
MVP

Arrington is a top 3 LB in the legue when healthy. I know some people here disagree but I'll go with the football professionals who all seem to think he is a difference maker. He dictates pass protection when in the game and is cause for concern on every play from the offense's point of view. He plays at another level in terms of speed and agility. Does he make mistakes? Yeah he makes mistakes but I'd argue the mistakes he makes are highlighted simply by the fact that he is faster and quicker than just about any other LB in the league. The mistakes he makes are common mistakes that every LB in the league makes. In fact i wouldn't call many of them mistakes but rather just good plays by the offense. It just looks worse when he does it because he is on another level in terms of athletic ability. Is he as good as say Ray-Ray? I couldn't possibly say yes but I can't think of any other OLB I'd rather have when healthy.
Closed Thread