Postgame Falcons

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #31
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Postgame Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
It's insane that this team can't come back from 7-0, that is so sad.
I'm just glad AS finally had a 300 yard passing game to pad his stats.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #32
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

right now we have scored just 160 points in 8 games. Which is right at 20 ppg, in todays NFL that wont get the job done. We have also given up more than we have scored, to be 5-3 is a miracle , we are the 2017 Buffalo Bills, just had the ball bounce their way enough to get 9 wins.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #33
PorkSkins
Playmaker

I haven't read any posts (other than the two above mine) in this thread, but there were several things that went wrong today.

First of all, we simply looked to have been outschemed/outcoached by the Falcons. I'm not sold on Gruden nor Manusky, and games like today just continues to shift the needle to the wrong side.

Atlanta only threw two passes that exceeded more than 20 yards in the air. One was the INT by Dunbar and the other was, in my opinion, an uncatchable ball to Julio Jones where Norman panicked and got a pass interference. They made a living on us with screens, and short and intermediate routes. I knew right after their second possession that was gonna be their course throughout the game.

IMO, it looked like Manusky didn't adjust. The Falcons' offense dictated the game and Manusky didn't have a clue. I thought Manusky should've tightened up the coverage, whether it be in man or zone. Our blitzes, whenever we decide to send extra pressure, also seem to lack imagination. He played scared, if you ask me.

We also need better play from our OLBs. We gotta get more out of Kerrigan and Smith. Our ILBs were exposed as well in the passing game. The ILBs and safeties also did a poor job when the Falcons ran the ball today. They were attacking us on the edge and on draw plays. Neither position filled well today in the run game.

Alex Smith actually played decently today. He was besieged with a few drops as well. Important drops by the way. The one by Vernon Davis resulted in an INT (who was interferred with on the play, but I'll touch on that a bit later). Smith just isn't a QB who'll elevate the play of his team. I don't have anything against Smith, but our front office fouled things up with Cousins when they didn't sign him to a long-term deal after the '15 or '16 seasons.

I'll end this post by saying today's officiating stunk like skunks on a farm. It started on our second play of the game. Questionable holding call on Lavao, and it went downhill from there with the penalties and injuries. The holding call before the half, which took away our deep catch by Doctson and out of FG range, was also questionable.

The Falcons were running pick plays, and they finally got called for two late in the game, but the damage was basically done by that point. The TD pass to Ridley, right before halftime, was a pick play. Sanu engaged with, if I'm correct, Danny Johnson with the ball in the air. I noticed it live, and blurted out "That's a pick play," and awaited for the "flag" icon to light up on the TV. But to no avail. A handful of other calls or non-calls that typically benefited the Falcons didn't help matters, as we were already shooting ourselves in the foot per the gameplan (particularly, defensively) and injuries to our O-line piling up.

We've been handled in all of our losses, and two of those losses were rather in ugly fashion. We have to find a better way to be competitve in our losses. Sell out a bit more on defense if need be. Of course, find a way to be more imaginative, but we can't allow teams to waltz up and down the field on us. Eight weeks in it doesn't seem like we can keep up in that type of scenario. So, we need to find a way to be more aggressive and take our chances. Particularly, when there's a certain pattern of the game taking place.

The one positive is we've shown we can bounce back after laying a dud. Hopefully, we can do the same versus another solid offensive team in the Bucs next week.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:20 AM   #34
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Open the field and spread the ball around and the defense melts like a grilled cheese sandwich. Kerrigan seemed solid and Ioannidis had the sack, but other than that the front 7 did jack squat. Payne, Allen, and Preston did absolutely nothing. And our ILBs got exposed in coverage.

Gruden and Manusky are absolutely pitiful at in game adjustments. If the original plan doesn't work we have no freaking chance.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:55 AM   #35
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Bad game overall, time to move on. Still plenty of football left in a winnable division.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
5-3 and still leading the divison....if the Redskins can win 3 out of every 4 games then they will conclude with a 11-5 record with a first rd. bye in the playoffs...worse case scenario is Philly takes the division lead and the Redskins finish in 2nd place and still attain a playoff birth...
Old 11-05-2018, 04:01 AM   #36
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
right now we have scored just 160 points in 8 games. Which is right at 20 ppg, in todays NFL that wont get the job done. We have also given up more than we have scored, to be 5-3 is a miracle , we are the 2017 Buffalo Bills, just had the ball bounce their way enough to get 9 wins.
9 victories? After last week's game against the NYG there were reports that the remaining opponents for the Redskins had a .391 winning percentage....which on average would be all winnable games....they ought to win between 10-12 games this year.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:47 AM   #37
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
5-3 and still leading the divison....if the Redskins can win 3 out of every 4 games then they will conclude with a 11-5 record with a first rd. bye in the playoffs...worse case scenario is Philly takes the division lead and the Redskins finish in 2nd place and still attain a playoff birth...
There is no way 11-5 gets a first round bye. I don't see the saints losing five more games
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #38
irish
Playmaker

IMO the 2 biggest problems are:

1. This team does not score enough points. Less that 21 makes it very difficult to win.

2. Because of 1 the pressure is all on the D but from what I saw yesterday this D is great against teams like NYG but when faced with an opponent that can really move the ball this D isn't as good as their numbers indicate.

Tampa is another team with a bad record but can move the ball and score points. This will be a very tough game for the Skins to win.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #39
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I think we have a good idea of what kind of team we have at this point in the year. If we play good D and get the run game going, we can win games.

Against air-raid attack offenses with stout defenses like Atlanta we don't stand a chance. Defense looks terrible against these aggressive teams on offense. And asking Alex Smith to do anything more than play a slow, ball-control offense predicated on a working running game is a bad idea.

I watch teams like the Rams, Saints, Pats, even the Packers and I wonder how they get so lucky having so many reliable options on the field at the same time.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #40
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
U do realize the Saints and Rams are the top 2 teams right? We have no chance on catching either team. Right now if u asked me to pick I'd say Philly wins the east at 10-6 and we miss the playoffs at 9-7. We play @Philly on MNF lol u know damn well we are getting toasted that game, @TB is a very lose able game for this team because we simply cant score points, they can and they have weapons all over the place. I think we got hot but were lucky to beat Carolina on the last drive, Dallas and NY are bad on Offense like we are so it was a good matchup. Don't tell me ATLANTA has a good Defense that is laughable, basically when we give up 20+ points we lose and our D is not good enough to keep Philly, Houston, and probably TB under 20.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

The Redskins are who we thought they were. Can't hang with the big boys.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #42
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The Redskins are who we thought they were. Can't hang with the big boys.
They can hang with them if they dont have a scary passing attack, (Car, DAL, Etc) but when we play teams like NO, ATL , even INDY we saw what happened. That's why I dont see us beating the Eagles, Wentz will carve us up and we wont score enough to stay in the game. I'm not sure what Jay and company were planning when they put this Offense together, if it wasn't for AD we would be 3-5 right now and Jay would be on the way out.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #43
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

For me the most disconcerting part was just how ineffective our DTs were against BACKUPS. Everyone is due for a bad game, so I'll chalk it up to that, but our beastly line got mauled by garbage. Mack is an All-Pro but beyond that... ????
Old 11-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #44
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I think we have a good idea of what kind of team we have at this point in the year. If we play good D and get the run game going, we can win games.

Against air-raid attack offenses with stout defenses like Atlanta we don't stand a chance. Defense looks terrible against these aggressive teams on offense. And asking Alex Smith to do anything more than play a slow, ball-control offense predicated on a working running game is a bad idea.

I watch teams like the Rams, Saints, Pats, even the Packers and I wonder how they get so lucky having so many reliable options on the field at the same time.
It's not luck. They draft or trade for explosive players.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #45
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
For me the most disconcerting part was just how ineffective our DTs were against BACKUPS. Everyone is due for a bad game, so I'll chalk it up to that, but our beastly line got mauled by garbage. Mack is an All-Pro but beyond that... ????
That is the difference in being a GREAT defense and a solid one, ours is not great because they lack consistency. All week we heard about the Falcons beat up OLINE and bad defense and we couldn't do shit on either. Jay just seems like he's out coached way too much, the fact that some are asking for Colt Mccoy is also absurd, what the hell has he ever done to warrant a starting job halfway through the season? He beat Dallas 1 time on MNF, big deal. Alex is what he is but he has NO help at WR, dont tell me about Doc, he is garbage. Crowder is hurt, Mo harris is nothing more than a ST player that is lucky to see the field due to injuries and lack of talent. Reed is not elite anymore and VD is basically old and done. The fact is we dont have the heat to keep up with the good teams and our defense is not as good as we thought.