Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Which NFC East team is most likely to implode

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Which NFC East team is most likely to implode

I think we all agree that the NFCE is one of the toughest divisions in the league. We also have 4 dedicated owners, high profile coaches, strong defenses, and each team's fanbase is certainly not shy about letting their feelings known about their team. Very reminiscent of the 1980's when the teams were all playoff/sb bound each year.

However, this version of the NFCE also seems more fragile to me. I don't remember Gibbs being on the hot seat other than his first year, or Parcells in NY feeling unsecure, and certainly Landry never worried.

This year it seems to me that at least one of the teams, possibly more, will implode under the various strains or if they underperform by late November.

So who do you guys think will be the first? (if you feel it's too early to play this game, you can feel free to opt out)

Dallas: Wade Phillips is in his last year of the contract, and the speculation was that he was gone at the end of last year. If he has to devote more time to HC and less to the defense he could really be in deep trouble. Jason Garrett and Tony Romo also have to show that they can keep the locker room together. And, yes I know TO is gone, but if Romo starts struggling in Nov/Dec again, the question of who was at fault will come back up

NYGiants: They are certainly the most stable, but it was just 2 years ago, before the SB run, that Tom Coughlin and Eli were being hammered by the fans. Last season they certainly got a pass from their fans with all the off field drama. But if Eli has a couple of outings like the Cleveland game last year, or if they end up 3rd or 4th in the division, will their fans start calling for some heads?

Philly: Umm, hmm, what could possibly cause an implosion there? (we want vick)

Washington: Everyone here knows the deal. If the Skins start slow(unlikely do to schedule) or if after the bye, when the schedule gets serious, a couple bad games by JC, and the stories of Zorn's imminent demise will be in all the headlines.

As Trample says:
What sayeth the mob?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: Which NFC East team is most likely to implode

Landry should have worried...once Jerrah was in town.

Sticking with this Dallas theme, I vote the Cowpies. I think that overall they lack leadership and resilience. What I saw last year was that if they face adversity, they fold like a cheap table. When the going gets tough, they go to Cabo. They have lots of talent but little direction, so they are like a fancy yacht which is useless because it lacks a rudder. I think that they will have trouble winning, what little authority that Wade has will disappear, and by January they will be looking for a new coach, having finished last in the division.

I've already got my broom ready for our sweep of Dallas this year.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
53Fan
Franchise Player

I think Philly has a good chance of imploding first because their fans will be calling for Vick and causing emotional trauma for the insecure McCrybaby. Shortly followed by the Cowgirls as they soon realize a new stadium with an underachieving team just gives you a new place to lose.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
FRPLG
MVP

I agree every team is sorta a one way or the other type deal. I suspect it'll be a lot like last year. One team will blow. Two will be in contention all year. One team will roll or a while then cool and then roll again and win the division.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I agree every team is sorta a one way or the other type deal. I suspect it'll be a lot like last year. One team will blow. Two will be in contention all year. One team will roll or a while then cool and then roll again and win the division.
Fair enough. My thought about this is again how fragile the teams seem to be. Most teams go through ups and downs throughout a season, but to me it seems the East is ripe for a dramatic implosion in one, maybe two teams. I think Dallas is most likely to really blow up, especially if Dallas makes blows the home opener against the Giants, and Jerry starts feeling his ego pushed.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So who do you guys think will be the first? (if you feel it's too early to play this game, you can feel free to opt out)

Dallas: Wade Phillips is in his last year of the contract, and the speculation was that he was gone at the end of last year. If he has to devote more time to HC and less to the defense he could really be in deep trouble. Jason Garrett and Tony Romo also have to show that they can keep the locker room together. And, yes I know TO is gone, but if Romo starts struggling in Nov/Dec again, the question of who was at fault will come back up

NYGiants: They are certainly the most stable, but it was just 2 years ago, before the SB run, that Tom Coughlin and Eli were being hammered by the fans. Last season they certainly got a pass from their fans with all the off field drama. But if Eli has a couple of outings like the Cleveland game last year, or if they end up 3rd or 4th in the division, will their fans start calling for some heads?

My pick is the Giants. Losing Burress and Toomer changes their offense dramatically. More important than the loss of Burress is the loss of Spags, he's a very good DC and the driving force behind their success in 2007. The Giants lines are solid, QB/RB solid, but on the outside they will go into most games mismatched on both sides of the ball. Without Spags to scheme them out of some tight spots they may be in trouble. They lose to us on opening weekend and follow that up with a loss to Dallas, they're in real trouble.

Dallas is my second choice. As high-maintenance and high-drama as TO is, he was still a top WR and I'm not sure R. Williams is ready to step into that role for Dallas. That being said, QB (until Nov/Dec.), RB, TE are solid. OL while aging should be solid. D has a lot of talent. But it all starts at the top. Wade Phillips is a mediocore head coach at best, he's better as a DC. When adversity hits he's not the guy you want in charge, he doesn't have a personality to "right the ship", or take a team to the "next level".

Philly should be OK even with the loss of Jim Johnson. Solid on the lines, good QB Good RB, speed at WR, very good secondary. Vick will be a non-factor/minimal factor and the fans have been calling for McNabb's head for years, that won't faze McNabb/Reid.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I think Philly has a good chance of imploding first because their fans will be calling for Vick and causing emotional trauma for the insecure McCrybaby. Shortly followed by the Cowgirls as they soon realize a new stadium with an underachieving team just gives you a new place to lose.
I also vote for Philly but Vick is the least of their problems.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I'd like to agree. I thought McNabb's career in Philly (and possibly Andy Reid's as well) was done when he got benched for Kevin Kolb in that debacle against the Ravens last year. How'd that work out? A berth in the NFC Championship game. Say what you will about McNabb, he's resilient. If anything it's their defense that hurts them.

All that said, I don't think any of the 4 teams will implode. I think it will be tough until the end.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Dallas, no T.O no excuses when Tony cant get it done and their offense becomes 1 dimensional.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Dallas is the easy pick, but they sort of already imploded, and will spend the first month or so of this year trying to pick up the pieces.

So I'll go with Philly. They have not looked good at all in the preseason, and Vick/McNabb is just begging for problems. Shawn Andrews has not gotten any preseason reps at RT, and frankly, Jason Peters hasn't been anyone's solution yet. It's a bad line trying to protect a very gimmicky offensive situation, and Brian Westbrook, always their fallback in past seasons, is not completely healthy.

Right now, they're a bunch of spare parts, and that makes an implosion realistic.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Even I don't believe it, I am kind of surprised no one has said the Redskins. Maybe there is a sense of optimism pervading the board yet
Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 AM   #12
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Even I don't believe it, I am kind of surprised no one has said the Redskins. Maybe there is a sense of optimism pervading the board yet
Well, there hasn't been anything in the preseason to suggest a collapse on our part. At least the Giants are a little banged up. This has really been a dream of a preseason for us.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

i'm going giants...tough media market, and tough fans...well all tough in this side of the NFC. But Burress is a bigger deal than most people think.
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #14
backrow
The Starter

Quote:

Washington: Everyone here knows the deal. If the Skins start slow(unlikely do to schedule) or if after the bye, when the schedule gets serious, a couple bad games by JC, and the stories of Zorn's imminent demise will be in all the headlines.
WoW! You make the case quite well for all of the above!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #15
redskin37
Special Teams

Have to say Dallas. They can least afford to lose there starting QB.
redskin37 is offline   Reply With Quote