Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Dunbar demanding trade or release

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #31
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Dunbar demanding trade or release

I would look to sign Kendall Fuller and Logan Ryan in FA and trade Dunbar.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #32
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The newly turned Safety Kendall Fuller? Sure to come in and play next to Collins.. He's not a great Corner guys... We have a hard time letting former skins go lol. He had 1 good year
Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #33
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The newly turned Safety Kendall Fuller? Sure to come in and play next to Collins.. He's not a great Corner guys... We have a hard time letting former skins go lol. He had 1 good year
He had a pretty good SB and wasn’t used properly by KC.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #34
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I'd much rather keep Dunbar but if he doesn't want to be here, he's gotta go. We will need to replace him but we also need an upgrade at CB2. Bradberry can be that guy.

Assuming we draft Chase Young, gonna be hard to find a legit CB1 in the draft and the more elite FA's are gonna be expensive. Might have to hope for major internal improvements and draft a guy that can absolutely contribute right away. Secondary is a major concern right now.

Rivera and Smith need to knock it out of the park in that area this offseason.
Here's the thing, if Young is drafted, and the dline and pass rush greatly improve, Dunbar could be headed for the best season of his young career if he can stay healthy. Maybe now is the time to extend him with a decent deal and get ahead of the curve on him if they truly value him...but if he doesn't want to play ball here period, now is when you need to know.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #35
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

In fact Fullers career Coverage grades.

2019 = 66.3
2018 = 70.8
2017 = 91.2 (GREAT YR)
2016 = 54.9 (VERY BAD)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #36
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
He had a pretty good SB and wasn’t used properly by KC.
Had a great SB, but they also have a damn good DC that has won multiple rings.. I wouldn't say they didn't use him properly, he just struggled in coverage.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #37
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
How about signing Logan Ryan and Kendall Fuller and keeping Quinton Dunbar?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #38
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
In fact Fullers career Coverage grades.

2019 = 66.3 Out of position.
2018 = 70.8 Out of position.
2017 = 91.2 (GREAT YR) As a Slot Corner.
2016 = 54.9 (VERY BAD) Most rookies start slowly.
These numbers need to be properly interpreted. Trust your own judgment. We all saw what he can do when he is used properly. Besides, his 2018 and 2019 numbers were decent. Also, he probably won't cost very much so I think he is well worth the slight risk. Personally, I think he has the tools to succeed and I want him back.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 02-11-2020 at 11:32 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #39
jamf
Pro Bowl

Let's not overreact.
Dude is just trying to get paid.

You can't discard every player that isn't a choirboy and expect to win.
The best coaches can get the best out of these diva players.

The only culture that matters is a winning culture.
jamf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #40
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
These numbers need to be properly interpreted. Trust your own judgment. We all saw what he can do when he is used properly. Besides, his 2018 and 2019 numbers were decent. Also, he probably won't cost very much so I think he is well worth the slight risk. Personally, I think he has the tools to succeed and I want him back.
For the right deal of course
Old 02-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #41
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Let's not overreact.
Dude is just trying to get paid.

You can't discard every player that isn't a choirboy and expect to win.
The best coaches can get the best out of these diva players.

The only culture that matters is a winning culture.
Completely agree.

Its crazy that people want get rid of Dunbar ASAP for using a standard negotiating tactic when they want to do whatever it takes to get TW back when his behavior was 100x worse. If the team isn't going to do everything possible to get rid of Trent, I see no reason why they would do that for Dunbar. Both are the best options we have on our roster at their respective positions -and by a decent margin. And Dunbar has said he would show up and play out his deal if the skins don't trade him. I'm not concerned.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #42
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Completely agree.

Its crazy that people want get rid of Dunbar ASAP for using a standard negotiating tactic when they want to do whatever it takes to get TW back when his behavior was 100x worse. If the team isn't going to do everything possible to get rid of Trent, I see no reason why they would do that for Dunbar. Both are the best options we have on our roster at their respective positions -and by a decent margin. And Dunbar has said he would show up and play out his deal if the skins don't trade him. I'm not concerned.
False equivalence between Trent and Dunbar. Trent protects the blindside of Haskins, so ridding yourself of Trent means you need to find a competent replacement immediately or risk the development of your young QB. Trent also has given so much to this team over the years, playing through immense amounts of pain, so he has shown a track record of setting the culture you want. His beef with the team was for reasons that are all now purged from the organization. If he wants to return and play for this new staff, and you think you're getting back the guy who played through pain and was consistently excellent, that is far different from Dunbar who is expressing he wants out.

If Trent wants in and Dunbar wants out, then that says all you need to know about what each will add to the culture.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #43
SunnySide
Playmaker

Entering last yr of contract + little guaranteed $ = probable holdout

Couple of thoughts

- 18: numbers of games played out of the possible 32 last 2 years. Is he a guy that will play through pain? Will he play at 80% or does he personally require him being 95% and above?

- 28 years old when 2020 starts, that not old.

- 56.9% completion rate against this season. That is excellent.

- 52: times targeted last season, thats low, 77th rank among CBs, could this mean J No just left to many guys open so a QB didnt have to look his way? That his sample size is too small to forecast future success comfortably? or is it just bc he only played 11 games.

--------------------------

What I dont understand is the timing. Why now? RR just meet his staff for the first time on Monday Feb 10. He and his agent had to know that the new regime would need some time to get caught up and then address contract concerns.

Initially I thought this issue of not having him resigned already was another Bruce failure to do basic communication with players. But then he says they did talk previously but he hasnt talked to the new regime yet.

Perhaps he and his agent wanted to get his name circulating out there as early as possible so teams may consider acquiring him as they also come up with a FA plan.

--------------

My bottom line -

(1) I like Dunbar, I dont see him as the No. 2 overall best corner in the NFL like PPF does but I do acknowledge that they know more than I do with my fan eye ball test.

If he wants a 5/65M/40G ... I think I would maybe might do that but that would really be stretching me. Much more comfortable at like a 4/40/30 deal. Which who knows, maybe he would have taken last year

(2) I dont blame a player for contract efforts if they are going into their final year.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-ran...hrough-week-17
Old 02-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #44
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
False equivalence between Trent and Dunbar. Trent protects the blindside of Haskins, so ridding yourself of Trent means you need to find a competent replacement immediately or risk the development of your young QB. Trent also has given so much to this team over the years, playing through immense amounts of pain, so he has shown a track record of setting the culture you want. His beef with the team was for reasons that are all now purged from the organization. If he wants to return and play for this new staff, and you think you're getting back the guy who played through pain and was consistently excellent, that is far different from Dunbar who is expressing he wants out.

If Trent wants in and Dunbar wants out, then that says all you need to know about what each will add to the culture.
So much wrong in your comment. First, Trent didn't protect Haskins' blindside last year. Did Haskins development suffer because he wasn't there? Brown did just fine. And Trent typically only plays about 12 games a year the past few years due to suspension and injuries - will his development be stunted because Trent likely wont be there all 16 games? You act as though Trent Williams is the only player capable of protecting Haskins blindside. Trent Williams is good, but he's not irreplaceable, as Donald Penn demonstrated last year.

You also falsely assert that Trent's beef with the team is over now that Bruce and Hess are gone. This is a blatant lie. Trent himself made it very clear this all started because he wanted to get paid and the team wouldn't do it. And why would they now? And why would he come back without it (since it was so important to him)? You are incredibly and optimistically unrealistic in thinking this will all be worked out so easily AND that Trent will be healthy and as elite as he was in his prime.

Penn effectively filled in Trent's place last year. We already need one new starting CB... do we really think we can get TWO in free agency and the draft?

We (stupidly) did not trade Trent last year when he created a tremendous distraction for the entire team. But now, a year later, there is atleast a chance he might come back. This would seem to justify not caving in to a players contract demands. Dunbar has asked for a trade, but he's made clear he's not going to be the cancer Trent was. He's not going to hold out. He's not going to miss games. He's not going to trash the team and be a distraction. Unless he changes his tune and starts imitating Trents low-character ways, there is no reason to move him.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #45
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Whatever happened to the days that you sign a contract and abide by it? What good is contract with all these cry babies.
Because ownership is not accountable to that same standard. Player can get a 5 year extension, then the team can release him 2 years into it if they want. Unless the NFL goes the same route as other professional sports with fully guaranteed contracts, this will continue.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote