Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Chico23231
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,294
Redskins Injuries and What can be done

So the last 3-4 seasons have been basically terrible for the team and injuries. I know football outsiders had a stat last year where we had been one of the most injured team when it came to quality players/starters ranking in the bottom 3 in the league in consecutive seasons.

Now I wake up to this:

An infection in Derrius Guice's torn ACL required three additional knee surgeries and brings his 2019 availability into question.

Guice tore his ACL last preseason and should've made a smooth recovery, but the infection severely complicated his rehab. The infection lasted two months after Guice's ACL tear, "prompting seven weeks of heavy rounds of antibiotics through a catheter in his arm." Guice admitted there is "no specific timeline" for his return. This is especially unfortunate news after Alex Smith's complicated broken-leg surgery put Smith's NFL future into doubt.



I just don't understand it...are these the same doctors? I don't know how the Redskins handle medicals, do they have like a health vendor who treats the team?

I honestly I think the team needs to look at all these injuries the last 3 years, procedures, recovery, etc. How the team trains and prepares physically for the season. Something is simply not working. The freak injuries during the game, certainly some cant be avoided...Brandon Schreff or Chris Thompson for example. But how the medical staff handles guys like Paul Richardson, Quinton Dunbar injuries seem incompetent.

People forget this year Trent Williams coming from major surgery this past offseason had complications and had to have procedures during this season which were seen as corrective measures.

This isn't just dumb luck or a curse...this is once again a franchise disorganized in every facet. It seems a lot of these injuries are not being handled correctly and the team isn't training or preparing for the season properly. Also, the team isn't being properly consulted by medical staff as it develops a roster....Lauvoa, Richardson, Doctson...we need to remove a team building strategy of signing and drafting guys with injuries. It makes zero sense to add people to a roster who have injury concerns on a team with injury issues.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 25,253
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

This is getting stupid. At this point u can't even come up with this shit
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
Schneed10
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 11,385
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Suggesting he wont be ready for 2019 seems ignorant. He was hurt in mid August, if all goes well with recovery the typical timetable is 9 months. He had a setback that set him back for 2 months. That puts him back at the 11 month mark, which would be ready by July.

I don't understand where people get the idea that he might not be ready for 2019 season. That's speculation based on no medical facts.

Guice himself told Copeland of the WaPo that he still expects to be ready for the season. Dumb.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
Chico23231
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,294
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Suggesting he wont be ready for 2019 seems ignorant. He was hurt in mid August, if all goes well with recovery the typical timetable is 9 months. He had a setback that set him back for 2 months. That puts him back at the 11 month mark, which would be ready by July.

I don't understand where people get the idea that he might not be ready for 2019 season. That's speculation based on no medical facts.

Guice himself told Copeland of the WaPo that he still expects to be ready for the season. Dumb.
I don't know about whether he will be ready or not for the season. Is it strange for 2 players to come off from surgery and experience infections that result in multiple additional surgeries?
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 91,976
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Team doctors donít perform surgery and Guice and Smith had different doctors




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Giantone
Franchise Player
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,063
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Team doctors donít perform surgery and Guice and Smith had different doctors




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.....just to add ,infections can come from a multitude of places but most come from the Hospital itself.
__________________
....DISCLAIMER: All of my posts/threads are my expressed typed opinion and the reader is not to assume these comments are absolute fact, law, or truth unless otherwise stated in said post/thread.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #7
Schneed10
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 11,385
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I don't know about whether he will be ready or not for the season. Is it strange for 2 players to come off from surgery and experience infections that result in multiple additional surgeries?
In the case of Alex's compound fracture, no that's not strange to come down with an infection. When the bone punctures the skin you introduce the possibility the bone is exposed to bacteria on the surface of the skin, so the risk of infection is far greater than if the bone hadn't punctured the skin.

As for Guice, an infection post surgery for an ACL can happen but it's something the patient, the hospital, and the physician have control over. The team has no control over it. Following surgery the patient has to follow the physician's instructions with regards to keeping the wound cleaned and dressed properly. If Guice was non-compliant with those instructions (we have no idea if he was) then it increases the risk of infection. As for the hospital, nurses, and physicians, hospital-acquired infections are a serious problem. Guice could have acquired the infection while he was in the care of the hospital. It happens, and Medicare will ding the hospital when it happens, providing less reimbursement for the covered patient in question. But it still should not happen often.

Either way, neither Smith's nor Guice's infections are at all within the team's control. Smith's occurred either while he was lying on the field with the leg, or while he was in the hospital. Guice's occurred either while he was in the hospital or while he was at home recovering, prior to his rehab beginning. Neither occurred under the team's watch.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 91,976
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

I'm also going to guess Smith and Guice weren't even in the same hospital.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Buffalo Bob
Impact Rookie
 
Buffalo Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Beaverdam Virginia
Posts: 778
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Who knows if it is one factor or numerous factors. Obviously some injuries are unavoidable, but when you are constantly among the league leaders in lost game injuries for an extended period of time it is more than just coincidence.

A lot of guys hate stretching, but not being properly stretched and warmed-up before practice or games can lead to increased injuries. It is a lot easier to get injured if you are fatigued, increased injuries could be a conditioning issue, or not getting players rest when needed. It could be a result of too much or too little contact in practice. Also it could boil down to not managing small injuries properly and letting them turn into big ones. Last but not least the team could be composed of too many players that have a history of being constantly injured.

I just wonder what are the Redskins doing different than the teams that are on the healthy end of the spectrum?
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
Schneed10
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 11,385
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
.....just to add ,infections can come from a multitude of places but most come from the Hospital itself.
This is correct with regards to post-surgical infections.

Smith's is a little different animal because it was a compound fracture where the bone was exposed. His was almost certainly acquired while he was on the field, or otherwise prior to the surgery.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
Schneed10
My Wife Likes Alex
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Posts: 11,385
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Who knows if it is one factor or numerous factors. Obviously some injuries are unavoidable, but when you are constantly among the league leaders in lost game injuries for an extended period of time it is more than just coincidence.

A lot of guys hate stretching, but not being properly stretched and warmed-up before practice or games can lead to increased injuries. It is a lot easier to get injured if you are fatigued, increased injuries could be a conditioning issue, or not getting players rest when needed. It could be a result of too much or too little contact in practice. Also it could boil down to not managing small injuries properly and letting them turn into big ones. Last but not least the team could be composed of too many players that have a history of being constantly injured.

I just wonder what are the Redskins doing different than the teams that are on the healthy end of the spectrum?
I have thought this myself. I think this could explain some of the soft tissue stuff. It definitely can't explain Alex's leg or Guice's ACL. Alex was a freak accident and Guice's knee was already weak from being hyperextended while in college.

But conditioning and flexibility can help stave off injury with soft tissue stuff. I can't say for sure the Redskins are lacking in this area but we tear pecs, hurt hamstrings, hurt obliques, hurt calfs, all that kind of stuff, we seem to have that market cornered. I do question whether there is too much focus at Redskins Park on brute strength and not enough on flexibility.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
Chico23231
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,294
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Team doctors donít perform surgery and Guice and Smith had different doctors




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, like I said in my original post I don't know the health care plans of teams, individuals...so like most, they go to their own doctors who then diagnose, treat, operate and handle recovery.

So the team isn't involved in any of that? So when we hear stuff from directly from Quinton Dunbar saying, "they don't know what it is" in regards to his nerve, hamstring, groin, knee...the multiple guesses of what injury was going on with him...im trying to identify the point of reference...is that his personal doctor or the teams doctors? or both?
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #13
MTK
‎\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 91,976
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

I saw something yesterday, trying to dig it up, but it basically said it was just recently in the last few years where the Skins were one of the least injured teams in the league. These last 2 years have been bad but trying to draw any direct correlations is probably pointless.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
Chico23231
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,294
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
In the case of Alex's compound fracture, no that's not strange to come down with an infection. When the bone punctures the skin you introduce the possibility the bone is exposed to bacteria on the surface of the skin, so the risk of infection is far greater than if the bone hadn't punctured the skin.

As for Guice, an infection post surgery for an ACL can happen but it's something the patient, the hospital, and the physician have control over. The team has no control over it. Following surgery the patient has to follow the physician's instructions with regards to keeping the wound cleaned and dressed properly. If Guice was non-compliant with those instructions (we have no idea if he was) then it increases the risk of infection. As for the hospital, nurses, and physicians, hospital-acquired infections are a serious problem. Guice could have acquired the infection while he was in the care of the hospital. It happens, and Medicare will ding the hospital when it happens, providing less reimbursement for the covered patient in question. But it still should not happen often.

Either way, neither Smith's nor Guice's infections are at all within the team's control. Smith's occurred either while he was lying on the field with the leg, or while he was in the hospital. Guice's occurred either while he was in the hospital or while he was at home recovering, prior to his rehab beginning. Neither occurred under the team's watch.
thanks, I knew this topic would kinda be in your wheelhouse.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
GridIron26
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,893
Re: Redskins Injuries and What can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
.....just to add ,infections can come from a multitude of places but most come from the Hospital itself.
That's true, unfortunately..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.13535 seconds with 10 queries