Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #196
sevier2
Special Teams
 
sevier2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 366
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

With our cap space the way it is, it seems the only feasible option at QB is the draft.

Personally, I would love to see Gruden with a chance to pick "his guy" and develop him from day one. Give me Drew Lock out of Mizzou and put a couple weapons around him.

I know most are against keeping Gruden but I haven't lost faith just yet. Since coming to D.C. his QB situation has been less than ideal. I wanna see what he can do with a rookie QB before giving him the boot.
__________________
This is an environment of welcoming and you should just get the hell out of here.
sevier2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #197
jamf
Playmaker
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 3,366
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
I know most are against keeping Gruden but I haven't lost faith just yet. Since coming to D.C. his QB situation has been less than ideal. I wanna see what he can do with a rookie QB before giving him the boot.

This is a stretch man.
Gruden has had a ProBowl QB the two previous years.
I'm not going to mention the dudes name but he wasn't a "Less than ideal" QB unless your ideal QB is Rodgers or Brady.

Wanting Gruden to stick around to develop the next Brady or Rodgers would be a mistake. We need a coach that will develop the whole team.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #198
skinsfaninok
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 24,481
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.3a594c5a9342
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #199
SFREDSKIN
MVP
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 10,745
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #200
mredskins
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,876
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Sadly we are heading back to the Beck/ Grossman years. I donít see Alex coming back.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:41 PM   #201
metalskins
The Starter
 
metalskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,351
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post


That makes my head hurt.
__________________
Reserved for a witty signature.
metalskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #202
mredskins
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,876
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
That makes my head hurt.
There is a lot of teams like that. A handful of teams have/had a stalwart at qb for a decade. The graphic is misleading.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #203
Irrefutable
The Starter
 
Irrefutable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,301
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Sadly we are heading back to the Beck/ Grossman years. I donít see Alex coming back.
SIAP....is there any way Smith goes on the PUP list and his salary is NOT counted? Shazier reconstructed his contract to help Pittsburgh.... granted it was a much smaller contract
Irrefutable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #204
metalskins
The Starter
 
metalskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,351
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
There is a lot of teams like that. A handful of teams have/had a stalwart at qb for a decade. The graphic is misleading.
I will say, in context, the chart is dating back to 1999, so 20 years, plus, some of those quarterbacks, like Beck, only played in a few games for one season. Hardly worth mentioning. Still, if you take the quarterbacks who had significant amounts of playing time, you look at:

Brad Johnson
Patrick Ramsey
Mark Brunell
Jason Campbell
Donovan McNabb
RGIII
Kirk Cousins
Alex Smith

I'm thinking more of those who were meant to be the starters, not necessarily those who signed on for a handful of games or were backups playing because of injury. You then see 8 quarterbacks in about a 20 year span.

I mean, if we go back to the pre Snyder years, you still have quite a few quarterbacks just within the 90's: Mark Rypien, Cary Conklin, John Friesz, Health Shuler, Gus Ferrotte, Tim Green, Brad Johnson. I might have missed someone in there. But, the point is, the Redskins haven't really had a franchise quarterback in forever. Heck, there could be an argument that Joe Theismann was never a true franchise QB, but I have always felt he was the last QB I could consider a franchise QB.
__________________
Reserved for a witty signature.
metalskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #205
jamf
Playmaker
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 3,366
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I will say, in context, the chart is dating back to 1999, so 20 years, plus, some of those quarterbacks, like Beck, only played in a few games for one season. Hardly worth mentioning. Still, if you take the quarterbacks who had significant amounts of playing time, you look at:

Brad Johnson
Patrick Ramsey
Mark Brunell
Jason Campbell
Donovan McNabb
RGIII
Kirk Cousins
Alex Smith

I'm thinking more of those who were meant to be the starters, not necessarily those who signed on for a handful of games or were backups playing because of injury. You then see 8 quarterbacks in about a 20 year span.

I mean, if we go back to the pre Snyder years, you still have quite a few quarterbacks just within the 90's: Mark Rypien, Cary Conklin, John Friesz, Health Shuler, Gus Ferrotte, Tim Green, Brad Johnson. I might have missed someone in there. But, the point is, the Redskins haven't really had a franchise quarterback in forever. Heck, there could be an argument that Joe Theismann was never a true franchise QB, but I have always felt he was the last QB I could consider a franchise QB.
All those QBs not worth mentioning are the result poor decision making by the team

Let me know if you see a trend:

00-01: Sign Vet QB for playoff run (George, Tony Banks)
02-04: Rebuild with young QB and Vet Journeyman( Ramsey and Hasselbeck)
04-06: Sign Vet QB for playoff run (Brunell)
07-10: Rebuild with Young QB and Vet Journeyman (Campbell and Brunell/Collins)
10-11: Sign Vet QB for playoff run, Andy Reid has a guy... (McNabb)
11-12: Rebuilding with rookies doesn't work, lets get another Vet (Grossman)
12-18: Signing Vets didn't work, Lets trade 3 1st round picks for RG3!
18-Current: Well shit, lets sign a Vet QB to get us into the playoffs, Andy Reid has a guy!

Overpay for an aging vet, rebuild with a young guy, overpay for a vet, rebuild.... The cycle never ends if you are a Redskins fan.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #206
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 16,812
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
All those QBs not worth mentioning are the result poor decision making by the team

Let me know if you see a trend:

00-01: Sign Vet QB for playoff run (George, Tony Banks)
02-04: Rebuild with young QB and Vet Journeyman( Ramsey and Hasselbeck)
04-06: Sign Vet QB for playoff run (Brunell)
07-10: Rebuild with Young QB and Vet Journeyman (Campbell and Brunell/Collins)
10-11: Sign Vet QB for playoff run, Andy Reid has a guy... (McNabb)
11-12: Rebuilding with rookies doesn't work, lets get another Vet (Grossman)
12-18: Signing Vets didn't work, Lets trade 3 1st round picks for RG3!
18-Current: Well shit, lets sign a Vet QB to get us into the playoffs, Andy Reid has a guy!

Overpay for an aging vet, rebuild with a young guy, overpay for a vet, rebuild.... The cycle never ends if you are a Redskins fan.
Unless a team "gets their guy" i am pretty sure that a lot of teams follow that pattern.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #207
BaltimoreSkins
The Starter
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Parkton, MD
Posts: 1,753
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

My biggest QB fear is that the AS contract will make it tough/impossible to sign a serviceable veteran so we will need to draft a QB whether we want to or not. I frankly do not see a starter ready QB in the draft therefore we will rush the guy or overspend a first rounder on third round talent. Repeat in 2020.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #208
skinsfaninok
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Rochester, Ny
Posts: 24,481
Re: Alex Effect - 2019 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
My biggest QB fear is that the AS contract will make it tough/impossible to sign a serviceable veteran so we will need to draft a QB whether we want to or not. I frankly do not see a starter ready QB in the draft therefore we will rush the guy or overspend a first rounder on third round talent. Repeat in 2020.
The only other option that I would not mind is trading for Jacoby Brisett, he's a starter in the NFL, and Luck is back so they don't need him.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.09673 seconds with 12 queries