Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Will the Current Treatment of HASKINS Effect His Tenure and Performance with the Redskins?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Will the Current Treatment of HASKINS Effect His Tenure and Performance with the Redskins?

No rookie QB's are truly "ready" to play right away, that's where good coaching comes in. You trim down the playbook, have the center make the line calls, you run the ball, etc.

I don't know where this idea is coming from that he can't play until he has ideal circumstances around him. A big part of learning to play QB in this league is figuring things out on the fly, handling failure, handling adversity. If he's so fragile (and I don't think he is) than we've already made a huge mistake.

Advertisements
Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Will the Current Treatment of HASKINS Effect His Tenure and Performance with the Redskins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Falcon View Post
If we hadn't drafted Haskins with the 15 pick this year, just imagine the fan reaction.
Exactly, now everyone is like "he isn't ready" "he doesn't know the playbook" from what I have seen in Case and Colt, they don't know it either.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #18
Coff
Impact Rookie

The reports seem to be that he is more unpolished than QBs tend to be coming out of college, so proper development is that much more important. There are reasons to question the development already. He's already been the source of conflict between the front office and the coaching staff. And in his second year, he'll be learning his second offense. Far from ideal conditions for developing a young QB, but definitely business as usual at Ashburn.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #19
Defensewins
Playmaker

Every year teams reach for QB's. Every year. Bad teams that suck at every position that think a good QB will make them a playoff team. It is still team sport folks!
Then you have the college QB's that are on dominant teams (Alabama, LSU, OSU) that when they get to the NFL are really not that great. Tim Tebow comes to mind.
Daniel Jones is a better prepared QB to play in the NFL than Haskins. Experience, better coached and played in a pro system. He may not be a better athlete or throw the ball the farthest. Jones understands the fundamentals and plays within the system. Jones is well coached , has great footwork, something Haskins ihas always lacked. When I see Haskins play in college he is raw talent that has bad habits. He succeeded ona strong team and his athleticism over lesser talent in college. In NFL that does not work. So you have rely fundamentals, read defenses quickly and getting rid of the ball. He lacks in this.
That is why I did not want him that high in the draft.

Last edited by Defensewins; 10-08-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
rocnrik
Playmaker

If we don’t play Haskins at all and the new coach does not want him forced on him.. and wants a different QB .. what is haskins worth? I really do see this as a Rosen type deal..part of bringing in a new coach is his comfort level with the QB.. I hope this works out but the talk of haskins not being ready for 2 years is not good for bringing in a top head coach.. we still need a vet to rely on if Haskins is a project..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #21
SunnySide
Playmaker

11 long painful games left to the season. Plenty of time left for Haskins to get caught up to speed. I do hope and wish the staff could communicate with Haskins so that he is on the same page. We the public dont need to know the plan but I hope internally they are talking with him about the big picture.

I repeat myself a good bit and I apologize but I really believe Week 11 vs the Jets is the perfect time for him to start. He gets the bye week for extra prep, avoids the short 4 day turn around from week 7 to week 8 and by that time I imagine Keenum and McCoy will be on the IR.

He would get to start 7 games.

I strongly believe waiting until week 11 is the best bet.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Looking at that schedule we are really going 1-15 or 2-14
Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #23
Schneed10
A Dude

The thing I find to be completely useless commentary is the idea that Gruden wanted Daniel Jones over Haskins. Maybe everyone did. Maybe Snyder did. Who the hell knows, but it doesn't matter because Jones was gone at 6 and we were picking 15th.

The question is would you have taken Haskins at 15 or a different player instead? Jones wasn't an option.

When we got Haskins at 15 everyone on this board was thrilled and we got As from most pundits. He's not coming along quickly. But it's also too soon to label him a bust.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #24
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
13 and Kyler Murray started 14 so that whole he only started 13 games argument is just foolish talk to me. If they cant tailor a gameplan for this kid to play a game against a team that is ACTIVELY TRYING TO LOSE in Miami then why did we draft him?
That is a bad comparison because of Murray's mobility and threat to run, you have to defend Murray much differently than Haskins. Until he gets the mental part of the NFL game down Murray can rely on his athleticism to get by until enough film is gathered on him. Relying on athleticism until the rest of his game develops isn't an option for Haskins.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #25
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
The thing I find to be completely useless commentary is the idea that Gruden wanted Daniel Jones over Haskins. Maybe everyone did. Maybe Snyder did. Who the hell knows, but it doesn't matter because Jones was gone at 6 and we were picking 15th.

The question is would you have taken Haskins at 15 or a different player instead? Jones wasn't an option.

When we got Haskins at 15 everyone on this board was thrilled and we got As from most pundits. He's not coming along quickly. But it's also too soon to label him a bust.
I'm still happy we took him over Jones, in the long run I believe he'll be the better QB.. Maybe Jones is a true baller but I just don't see that.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #26
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'm still happy we took him over Jones, in the long run I believe he'll be the better QB.. Maybe Jones is a true baller but I just don't see that.
Dude, we didn't take him OVER Jones. This is driving me bananas. Jones was not available to us. It's not like we passed up Daniel Jones to get Haskins.

If Daniel Jones were available at 15 we might have taken him. We'll never know.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #27
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Every year teams reach for QB's. Every year. Bad teams that suck at every position that think a good QB will make them a playoff team. It is still team sport folks!
Then you have the college QB's that are on dominant teams (Alabama, LSU, OSU) that when they get to the NFL are really not that great. Tim Tebow comes to mind.
Daniel Jones is a better prepared QB to play in the NFL than Haskins. Experience, better coached and played in a pro system. He may not be a better athlete or throw the ball the farthest. Jones understands the fundamentals and plays within the system. Jones is well coached , has great footwork, something Haskins ihas always lacked. When I see Haskins play in college he is raw talent that has bad habits. He succeeded ona strong team and his athleticism over lesser talent in college. In NFL that does not work. So you have rely fundamentals, read defenses quickly and getting rid of the ball. He lacks in this.
That is why I did not want him that high in the draft.

Being a LSU fan, they have rarely had a dominant college QB

Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #28
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Dude, we didn't take him OVER Jones. This is driving me bananas. Jones was not available to us. It's not like we passed up Daniel Jones to get Haskins.

If Daniel Jones were available at 15 we might have taken him. We'll never know.
Such an odd narrative that's out there right now.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #29
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
That is a bad comparison because of Murray's mobility and threat to run, you have to defend Murray much differently than Haskins. Until he gets the mental part of the NFL game down Murray can rely on his athleticism to get by until enough film is gathered on him. Relying on athleticism until the rest of his game develops isn't an option for Haskins.
50 TDs in a college conference where they actually play defense is nothing to sneeze at. Best way to learn on the job is to actually do the job. It isn't like we have a top flight QB playing ahead of him, we have trash. We are basically parading garbage out there and calling it filet mignon

Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Really what young QB can come here and be successful? It's hard enough to play QB at a great organization. But when you have to deal with piss poor management that makes it almost impossible. Cousins saw the nonsense and forced his way out of this pile of mess.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote