#39 David Amerson

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Re: #39 David Amerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Just because a person thinks he sucks doesnt mean an NFL GM doesnt. His value isnt what anyone says or thinks, its what a single team is willing to pay.

A tall CB with some speed will make at least one team think that the problem isnt Amerson, but the Redskins who didnt develop him properly (which probably is the truth). Then they will think that they could develop him and make him into a good CB. With as many bad trades and free agent signings that there are in the NFL, you honestly think a 7th rounder is the best offer we could get?
I agree with what you said. If someone offers us a good deal for him, we should move him.

But a poster above said Amerson simultaneously has value and has no value. I was responding to that.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #17
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
What????? You just said Amerson is only good enough to be a nickel cb on our team, one of the worst secondaries in the league, yet someone is going to trade for him? WTF
Take a look at Breeland.....I wouldn't want to trade him because he had a great year as a rookie......but his personal level of play doesn't have anything to do with how bad the secondary is/was......in mentioning Amerson I am talking about one guy.....not the entire defensive backfield.....
Old 01-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #18
That Guy
Living Legend

amerson isn't worth anything meaningful. cutting him is dumb, cause he's still better than biggers and the 32 practice squad DBs we saw this year. right now he looks like a #3, but guess what? our team can use him as a #3.

no one will trade for him, but again, there's no reason to cut him unless he's not one of the best 53 players we have at the start of september.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #19
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
amerson isn't worth anything meaningful. cutting him is dumb, cause he's still better than biggers and the 32 practice squad DBs we saw this year. right now he looks like a #3, but guess what? our team can use him as a #3.

no one will trade for him, but again, there's no reason to cut him unless he's not one of the best 53 players we have at the start of september.
You see....that sort of logical well founded rationale just....can't work here. We're more of a get rid of everybody..."clean sweep" type of program here. You can see how well it has worked for us over the years...right?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:38 AM   #20
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Let's pray Morris is out the door when a new DC is hired. Not giving up on him yet.

These morons are talking about elevating Morris to DC so I doubt they let the DC get rid of him. The good ole boy network.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
Evilgrin
The Starter

You have to work from the line backwards, our line play is just so far below what it needs to be.

Redskins #2 In Revenue Per Year!
Evilgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Hard to imagine any real interest in someone trading for Amerson. And it's not like we're stacked at corner and have the luxury of trading someone away.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #23
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Our QB situation is a mess.
Our O-Line is a mess.
Our pass rush is anemic.
We have no safetys.
We cant cover tight ends.
Amerson is fairly far down my list of fixes for next year.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #24
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Just because a person thinks he sucks doesnt mean an NFL GM doesnt. His value isnt what anyone says or thinks, its what a single team is willing to pay.

A tall CB with some speed will make at least one team think that the problem isnt Amerson, but the Redskins who didnt develop him properly (which probably is the truth). Then they will think that they could develop him and make him into a good CB. With as many bad trades and free agent signings that there are in the NFL, you honestly think a 7th rounder is the best offer we could get?
Right now, Robert Griffin III would fetch no better than a 3rd or 4th rounder, so said media reports quoting anonymous scouts from December.

If RG freakin 3 is only a 3rd or 4th rounder, how the hell is David Amerson worth anything more than a 7th?

If a team were trading for Amerson, they'd be "taking a flyer". How could any team in the NFL assume he could be anything more than a nickel at this point? Are you even watching football games?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #25
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I love when people are like trade so and so. As though there are all these buyers for our awful guys.
This kills me every time!

I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #26
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Right now, Robert Griffin III would fetch no better than a 3rd or 4th rounder, so said media reports quoting anonymous scouts from December.

If RG freakin 3 is only a 3rd or 4th rounder, how the hell is David Amerson worth anything more than a 7th?

If a team were trading for Amerson, they'd be "taking a flyer". How could any team in the NFL assume he could be anything more than a nickel at this point? Are you even watching football games?
A 7th rounder? You are under the assumption that a 7th rounder somehow is valuable. I guarantee you that someone would offer better than a 7th for Amerson. Not for what he did on the field last year, for the belief that he can be developed a lot better.

I also am somewhat confused about people who say that if they arent superstars on their first snap in the NFL that they will never develop into anything worth keeping. Plenty of people have hung onto a roster spot and then have finally gotten it in year 4 or 5 before. We cant keep talking about our team not developing players and then turn around and act like its not important. Some GM somewhere will still believe Amerson can be a pretty good CB as long as he is developed.

A larger corner with speed that has shown some flashes. And you honestly think no one will want him? Or are you one of those people that believe the only position that matters is QB?
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #27
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Our QB situation is a mess.
Our O-Line is a mess.
Our pass rush is anemic.
We have no safetys.
We cant cover tight ends.
Amerson is fairly far down my list of fixes for next year.
Amen, Brother Walton! Weak thread.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #28
redskinsfan1980

I'm not ready to give up on David Amerson. He got some talent. All he needs is more time to develop. I also think he'll be a much better safety than corner.
redskinsfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #29
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
A 7th rounder? You are under the assumption that a 7th rounder somehow is valuable. I guarantee you that someone would offer better than a 7th for Amerson. Not for what he did on the field last year, for the belief that he can be developed a lot better.

I also am somewhat confused about people who say that if they arent superstars on their first snap in the NFL that they will never develop into anything worth keeping. Plenty of people have hung onto a roster spot and then have finally gotten it in year 4 or 5 before. We cant keep talking about our team not developing players and then turn around and act like its not important. Some GM somewhere will still believe Amerson can be a pretty good CB as long as he is developed.

A larger corner with speed that has shown some flashes. And you honestly think no one will want him? Or are you one of those people that believe the only position that matters is QB?
No, but I'm apparently one of the few who understand that money matters. At least you don't appear to.

David Amerson is under a 2nd rounder's rookie contract, meaning he makes a lot more than a 7th rounder makes. And based on last year's performance, you'd have to say he's way overpaid based on that 2nd rounder's contract.

I'm not giving more than a 7th rounder if I have to pay a guy a 2nd rounder's salary, who I don't even know can stick on my team better than a 4th rounder I might find in the upcoming draft.

We found Breeland right? The Seahawks found Sherman in the 3rd. If you ask for more than a 7th teams will say screw that, I'm not paying Amerson's salary when I can just draft one in the middle rounds and have just as much a chance for success. Amerson will be a free agent in two years, if you draft a 4th rounder you'll get him for four years. Just doesn't make sense.

You can try to ask for more but I don't think you'll get it. That's why players' draft value falls so quickly after an inauspicious start to their career. Why trade for someone who has had a chance to prove themselves and hasn't, than just draft someone and give them their first chance?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #30
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
No, but I'm apparently one of the few who understand that money matters. At least you don't appear to.

David Amerson is under a 2nd rounder's rookie contract, meaning he makes a lot more than a 7th rounder makes. And based on last year's performance, you'd have to say he's way overpaid based on that 2nd rounder's contract.

I'm not giving more than a 7th rounder if I have to pay a guy a 2nd rounder's salary, who I don't even know can stick on my team better than a 4th rounder I might find in the upcoming draft.

We found Breeland right? The Seahawks found Sherman in the 3rd. If you ask for more than a 7th teams will say screw that, I'm not paying Amerson's salary when I can just draft one in the middle rounds and have just as much a chance for success. Amerson will be a free agent in two years, if you draft a 4th rounder you'll get him for four years. Just doesn't make sense.

You can try to ask for more but I don't think you'll get it. That's why players' draft value falls so quickly after an inauspicious start to their career. Why trade for someone who has had a chance to prove themselves and hasn't, than just draft someone and give them their first chance?
Exactly, great post.

PLUS trading in the NFL is fairly rare. I swear some people here think players are like Garbage Pail Kids cards and we can just traded them on the playground between classes.