Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Ron Rivera Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ron Rivera Thread

It's been almost a full season under Ron, lets look back at a few notes:

1. His battle with Cancer through most of this season.
2. Taking over a horrible situation and roster with no Off season.
3. QB situation was a hot mess to start.
4. Starting the season 1-5
5. Many were questioning if he was the right choice after just 6 weeks.

Fast forward to Mid December and he has this team and fan base 100% bought in to the new culture, the defense is as good as it's been since the Sean Taylor days in WSH.

Alex Smith is 4-1 as a starter coming off one of the worst injuries in sports history.

The CULTURE is different now, the TEAM is finally one.

I was excited when they hired Ron but now I'm even more ALL IN. If this team finishes 8-8, does Ron win the Coach of the Year?

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

I'd say if we finish 9-7 then he definitely should be CotY!
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...harted-waters/

https://blog.fantasylifeapp.com/2020...s-c20b42b34dc7

https://medium.com/top-level-sports/...0-157625e1727f

Here's a couple articles regarding how the five new head coaches were ranked earlier this year.

McCarthy was ranked #1 by all of them - Bwahahahahah!!!!!

Of course if WFT wins the division, I would put Ron at the top considering all this team has overcome and accomplished in his first year.

Honestly if Gibson didn't get hurt, we could be looking at coach of the year, comeback player of the year, defensive rookie of the year, and offensive rookie of the year. Still will likely end up with three of those four.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...harted-waters/

https://blog.fantasylifeapp.com/2020...s-c20b42b34dc7

https://medium.com/top-level-sports/...0-157625e1727f

Here's a couple articles regarding how the five new head coaches were ranked earlier this year.

McCarthy was ranked #1 by all of them - Bwahahahahah!!!!!

Of course if WFT wins the division, I would put Ron at the top considering all this team has overcome and accomplished in his first year.

Honestly if Gibson didn't get hurt, we could be looking at coach of the year, comeback player of the year, defensive rookie of the year, and offensive rookie of the year. Still will likely end up with three of those four.
Everyone picked this team to go 3-13 or 4-12 at best, I saw #1 overall pick projections. If they win the division he has to be COY
Old 12-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

In hindsight that McCarthy #1 overall - LOL

But Chief, I disagree on 3/4. Even if Gibson didn't get injured, a good rookie QB is always the sexy pick for OROTY and Herbert has had a good season. Not to mention James Robinson is getting way more love and accolades than Gibson ever did. Gibson has the numbers edge wise on TD's, but Robinson outpaces him everywhere else.

Ron might get some votes for COTY but I expect someone else to take it. Alex probably wins CPOTY just based off what he came back from. Chase probably leads for DROTY but it's not over yet.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

McCarthy was a garbage hire, I think it's become obvious his success in GB was tied to Rodgers. But of course it's Dallas, so anything they do is over hyped.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
GridIron26
Playmaker

I had been in wait and see mode with Rivera ever since we hired him, despite the fact that I had a good feeling about the hire. But after the last two games, it's tough to remain in the wait and see mode. As we all saw, Rivera had already made positive impact on the team in many areas and the players obviously believe in themselves, which is not something we could say with the previous coaches. I'm definitely a believer in Rivera and I am looking forward to see how far this team will go once we find our QB.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
In hindsight that McCarthy #1 overall - LOL

But Chief, I disagree on 3/4. Even if Gibson didn't get injured, a good rookie QB is always the sexy pick for OROTY and Herbert has had a good season. Not to mention James Robinson is getting way more love and accolades than Gibson ever did. Gibson has the numbers edge wise on TD's, but Robinson outpaces him everywhere else.

Ron might get some votes for COTY but I expect someone else to take it. Alex probably wins CPOTY just based off what he came back from. Chase probably leads for DROTY but it's not over yet.
Well, I said we could be looking at offensive rookie of the year. He was definitely coming on of late, who knows what his final five games could have been, and where he would have stacked up. As of right now Gibson has like 80 less carries, but averages more yards per carry than Robinson, and he has four more rushing TDs. Agree that the QBs always have a leg up on these awards, but the team's record often also plays a big part for some reason.

Anyway, I'll take 3 of the 4 awards. What a season...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Well, I said we could be looking at offensive rookie of the year. He was definitely coming on of late, who knows what his final five games could have been, and where he would have stacked up. As of right now Gibson has like 80 less carries, but averages more yards per carry than Robinson, and he has four more rushing TDs. Agree that the QBs always have a leg up on these awards, but the team's record often also plays a big part for some reason.

Anyway, I'll take 3 of the 4 awards. What a season...
I'll take 2/4, CY99 and Alex Smith gotta be the leaders in their categories. If Ron gets COTY I'll take that too, but historically in the last 10 years COTY has at least 11 wins minimum (exception is Bruce Arians 9-3 in 2012 filling in for Chuck Pagano). Also Ron is a two time COTY winner already. I think the cancer thing will swing some votes his way but otherwise it will go to some 11+ win team who overperformed expectations (Kevin Stefanski or Sean McDermott looking at you)
Old 02-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
SunnySide
Playmaker

‘It was the hardest week,” he said. “And I came in, my wife had to go all the way to the back side of the facility and help get me out of the car. Her and our team trainer, literally arm-in-arm, shoulder-to-shoulder, carried me into the training room. And the look on [the players’] faces was like, Oh, s---, Coach is having trouble here. I mean, you can see they’re concerned. There’s genuine concern.”

Of course, that sucked while it happened, but afterward, Rivera said, “That was really kind of a cool thing, in terms of just knowing that these guys were really aware.”

Over time, that feeling was further cemented with unprompted well-wishes before chemo treatments and text messages after them, and players consistently checking in to make sure their boss was O.K. “It was cool how unselfish they were,” he said. And that showed up on the field, with the players taking on the traits of their coach in what they all hope was a foundation-setting season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/mm...s-angeles-rams
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #11
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^ Link goes to a Matthew Stafford to the Rams video.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
^ Link goes to a Matthew Stafford to the Rams video.
It is further down in the article.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
skinsfan69
Living Legend

He has given is crediibility which was lacking under Dan and Bruce.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ron and JDR have really built up this defense seemingly overnight since the HORRIFIC 2019 team.

The depth is insane at almost all levels.

JDR said yesterday that he expects Davis and St-Juste to be immediate impact players.

Said "St-Juste is a freak athlete that is long and can really help in the press coverage game along with W Jackson"

Fells good to have a legit franchise for once
Old 05-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #15
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Ron and JDR have really built up this defense seemingly overnight since the HORRIFIC 2019 team.

The depth is insane at almost all levels.

JDR said yesterday that he expects Davis and St-Juste to be immediate impact players.

Said "St-Juste is a freak athlete that is long and can really help in the press coverage game along with W Jackson"

Fells good to have a legit franchise for once
For sure, I'm really excited to see how the defense will play this year. We will play multiple good/great QBs so it will be a good test for the defense. Also, it's good to know that they are expecting St-Juste to contribute immediately, I wasn't sure what we would expect from him when we drafted him. I love his story though.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote