Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #301
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Re: Chase Young or Three First Round Picks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I just don’t buy the Detroit trade idea. They know we are taking Chase Young, no matter how much smoke has been generated. If the Lions want Tua, they just wait until after we draft Young.

I know many want us to be offered a monster, RG3-type deal. But everyone knows we want Chase Young. The real trades may start with Detroit, not with us.
Sorry to be a buzz-kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're probably right. But ...

What if the Raiders make a huge trade with Detroit to move into the 3rd spot, positioning themselves for a Tua grab?

Would that make Miami say "Fuck it. Pull the trigger with Washington"? Maybe ...

I think that's the only way we have a SHOT at a mega-deal with someone.

I'm pretty excited about having Chase Young though. The idea of him on that DLine for years to come is intoxicating.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2020, 02:57 AM   #302
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I know it's all just speculation until draft day, but i can't see a big trade coming in our direction because nobody is that desperate for the #2 pick.

Cincy are taking Burrow; their one big need is a young franchise QB to replace Dalton. They can take Tua or Burrow, though with their immediate need they'll take Burrow. They have a need and no incentive to trade down.
We want Young right now or a boatload of picks. I just don't see a Herschel Walker type trade coming our way. Taking either QB (if Cincy did surprise everyone by drafting Young) doesn't make us immediately better because we have bigger needs, so we'd likely only trade if that happened and I don't see Cindy doing that. Barring a minor miracle we take Young.
Detroit are in prime trade position assuming the above. They don't need a new QB yet and have other needs. Okudah makes sense but if they move down a couple of slots they could still get him and/or have picks left over from a Miami trade to fill other needs too. And Patricia comes from the Belichick school so I can't see him getting anything other than value from his picks or any trade. Unless he learned absolutely nothing. 😁
Giants are a little intriguing as if Tua is still available they might trade down, but i suspect they just take BPA, which could be Simmons after a good combine.
If Miami haven't traded up at this point they likely have Tua land in their lap anyway and still have all those picks for other needs. I back this scenario because they are in a 2 yr rebuild and can let Tua come on while Fitzmagic finished his career off. They also have too many other needs to waste picks on a trade they likely don't need to make.
Raiders moving up? Nope, I can't see Gruden or Mayock doing that given that QB isn't their big need either. They were bitten by the Brown scenario so they are going to be a bit cautious this year; no big splash.
Nobody else really has the draft capital to move into the top 5, especially once Burrow, Tua and Young have gone taking away the motive. I can see Miami swapping picks with Detroit to guarantee Tua, but the other scenarios look unlikely.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #303
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I know it's all just speculation until draft day, but i can't see a big trade coming in our direction because nobody is that desperate for the #2 pick.

Cincy are taking Burrow; their one big need is a young franchise QB to replace Dalton. They can take Tua or Burrow, though with their immediate need they'll take Burrow. They have a need and no incentive to trade down.
We want Young right now or a boatload of picks. I just don't see a Herschel Walker type trade coming our way. Taking either QB (if Cincy did surprise everyone by drafting Young) doesn't make us immediately better because we have bigger needs, so we'd likely only trade if that happened and I don't see Cindy doing that. Barring a minor miracle we take Young.
Detroit are in prime trade position assuming the above. They don't need a new QB yet and have other needs. Okudah makes sense but if they move down a couple of slots they could still get him and/or have picks left over from a Miami trade to fill other needs too. And Patricia comes from the Belichick school so I can't see him getting anything other than value from his picks or any trade. Unless he learned absolutely nothing. 😁
Giants are a little intriguing as if Tua is still available they might trade down, but i suspect they just take BPA, which could be Simmons after a good combine.
If Miami haven't traded up at this point they likely have Tua land in their lap anyway and still have all those picks for other needs. I back this scenario because they are in a 2 yr rebuild and can let Tua come on while Fitzmagic finished his career off. They also have too many other needs to waste picks on a trade they likely don't need to make.
Raiders moving up? Nope, I can't see Gruden or Mayock doing that given that QB isn't their big need either. They were bitten by the Brown scenario so they are going to be a bit cautious this year; no big splash.
Nobody else really has the draft capital to move into the top 5, especially once Burrow, Tua and Young have gone taking away the motive. I can see Miami swapping picks with Detroit to guarantee Tua, but the other scenarios look unlikely.
I could see San Diego or Carolina trading up with either the Lions or the Giants. Neither of those teams has the draft capital to move up to #2, IMO, but I think one of them would definitely try to trade up to #3 or 4 to get in front of Miami. It would be risky for Miami to stand pat and hope Tua drops to them at #5, IMO.

Truth is, while #2 would guarantee Miami Tua (or Burrow), the cost in draft capital to get up to #2 is much, much higher than #3 or #4, since Young is clearly superior to the group of guys available at picks 3 thru 7. Detroit or New York could easily trade down to get an additional 2nd round pick and still draft the same player they were looking at with their original pick.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #304
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I could see San Diego or Carolina trading up with either the Lions or the Giants. Neither of those teams has the draft capital to move up to #2, IMO, but I think one of them would definitely try to trade up to #3 or 4 to get in front of Miami. It would be risky for Miami to stand pat and hope Tua drops to them at #5, IMO.

Truth is, while #2 would guarantee Miami Tua (or Burrow), the cost in draft capital to get up to #2 is much, much higher than #3 or #4, since Young is clearly superior to the group of guys available at picks 3 thru 7. Detroit or New York could easily trade down to get an additional 2nd round pick and still draft the same player they were looking at with their original pick.
LOL. I wonder how long I'm going to keep saying San Diego for the Chargers.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #305
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post

The Raiders are definitely in the QB market, since Gruden is not sold on Carr, and they have the ammo to move up. The only way I don't see them moving up for a QB is if they get a pricey free agent QB (i.e. Brady, Rivers, Teddy B.).

The Jags also have two first round picks and are in need of a QB. They may have even more ammo if they trade Yannick Ngakoue for a first rounder to another team.

Both the Raiders or the Jags could offer the Redskins their two first rounders and a 2021 first rounder (a total of three 1st round picks), among other picks to move ahead of Miami.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #306
SunnySide
Playmaker

https://finheaven.com/threads/tua-ta...thread.358488/

^^^ 225 pages of dolphins fans wanting Tua and discussing trading up w us or Det. Pretty intelligent discussion, but perhaps a good bit undervaluing the trade ammo needed to move up.

That fanbase is ready to go all in for Tua. jerseys printed and ready for shipping.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #307
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The Raiders are definitely in the QB market, since Gruden is not sold on Carr, and they have the ammo to move up. The only way I don't see them moving up for a QB is if they get a pricey free agent QB (i.e. Brady, Rivers, Teddy B.).

The Jags also have two first round picks and are in need of a QB. They may have even more ammo if they trade Yannick Ngakoue for a first rounder to another team.

Both the Raiders or the Jags could offer the Redskins their two first rounders and a 2021 first rounder (a total of three 1st round picks), among other picks to move ahead of Miami.
I forgot they both have the capital but I still believe they would trade with Detroit not us.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #308
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

This is the way I see it. I would rather take the best player in the draft than trade down and then later watch that same best player in the draft prove he was the best for years.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #309
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Miami has a boatload of picks, if I was them I'd stay put take Simmons / BPA at #5 and then take Jordan Love at 18. Still get a promising QB prospect
Old 03-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #310
MTK
\m/

Miami can sit tight at 5 and get Tua in all likelihood

Old 03-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #311
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

Agree unless someone trades up.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #312
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

I doubt this. I think if the Giants were on the clock and Tua is still there the Chargers would trade up, and the Giants would be happy to do it, since they could probably get the same player at 6 that they would have at 4.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #313
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

RR said the other day that "not having a 2nd rd pick is a burden" That tells u how serious he is about his picks. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved down
Old 03-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #314
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
RR said the other day that "not having a 2nd rd pick is a burden" That tells u how serious he is about his picks. It wouldn't surprise me if they moved down
Yep, from the top of the 3rd round. That's what I would do if offered a reasonable deal.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #315
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Again I think this is just blowing smoke to see what trade offers it drums up. I doubt he'd trade out of #2 JUST to get more picks. A bird in the hand...