Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How long Ron Rivera in DC?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

How long Ron Rivera in DC?

This is just for a fun discussion. So how long do you think Ron Rivera lasts in DC? I don't see him lasting past year three if we don't make the playoffs or show progress. I wasn't thrilled with the off season moves. They were okay. He has to actually develop a QB in Haskins. He can't ride an MVP (at the time) Cam Newton. I feel more 5-11, 6-10 kind of season with him.

My hope is that Kyle Smith can pick his guy if Rivera doesn't work out.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: How long Ron Rivera in DC?

We haven't played a single game, nor had a draft under Rivera and you are asking how long he'll last in DC? Hopefully a long time and I do like the off season moves.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post
This is just for a fun discussion. So how long do you think Ron Rivera lasts in DC? I don't see him lasting past year three if we don't make the playoffs or show progress. I wasn't thrilled with the off season moves. They were okay. He has to actually develop a QB in Haskins. He can't ride an MVP (at the time) Cam Newton. I feel more 5-11, 6-10 kind of season with him.

Wow Really. Guy has not coached 1 game here.

JGruden was mediocre and lasted how many years?

I know we are all quarantined but this is a thread for the 2022 quarantine
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post

This is a copy of my post from the Redskins General thread. But reading this compelled me to repost here.

“Couldn’t disagree more. What he’s not doing is exactly what we’ve been doing for the last decade and a half. Overpaying diva free agents who come for a pay day and don’t care about putting the team first.

Ron is looking for a specific kind of guy. The right fit. Not big name splashy guys. Hard working no names with the traits and mental aspect he’s looking for. What other team has won 6 Super Bowls with that model? The Patriots. Now we are far from being the Pats, but what I’m saying is his approach is refreshing from the stand point that we aren’t going to be a winner over night. He’s doing it the slow and methodical way. The build through the draft, get the right fit guys kind of way.

I will take 5 free agencies in a row like this bc I think we’ve been doing it wrong for years. And I think it’s laughable that so many Skins fans who cry wolf at our antics for years are now chastising Rivera for not making splash moves.”
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Where would you put the over/under on his tenure?

I think he'll get at least 4 seasons, and probably 5.

Worst case scenario ... Haskins busts next year, then we're looking at a high draft pick, and Rivera can get his own QB. Which will give him a couple of years to see if it works out. So 3 more seasons to show progress. Total of 4, before his seat gets real hot.

But if Haskins progresses, given the lack of attention the O-Side of the ball has seen this free agency, I think RR could be looking at a stay of 5 - 6 years.

So I guess I'd put the Over/Under right at 5 and a half.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #6
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
Where would you put the over/under on his tenure?

I think he'll get at least 4 seasons, and probably 5.

Worst case scenario ... Haskins busts next year, then we're looking at a high draft pick, and Rivera can get his own QB. Which will give him a couple of years to see if it works out. So 3 more seasons to show progress. Total of 4, before his seat gets real hot.

But if Haskins progresses, given the lack of attention the O-Side of the ball has seen this free agency, I think RR could be looking at a stay of 5 - 6 years.

So I guess I'd put the Over/Under right at 5 and a half.
Over
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:35 AM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Too soon? This thread feels too soon. I'm going for 10 years. Ron "Joe Gibbs" Rivera with at least 1 Super Bowl victory.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 02:06 AM   #8
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Too soon? This thread feels too soon. I'm going for 10 years. Ron "Joe Gibbs" Rivera with at least 1 Super Bowl victory.
Yes. This is what I'm talking about. Easily my fav hire other than Gibbs in the Snyder era. Cannot wait to see what he does with this franchise.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:17 AM   #9
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

It was reported around the time of the Rivera hiring that he was going to be expected to produce results quickly, and consistently.

I don't think year one will produce any sort of results, and it would be unfair to expect his first year to be successful after him being tasked with repairing decades of rot. I see a 5-11 / 6-10 team but one that is hopefully growing and showing signs of improvement.

I do think he will be expected to make the playoffs by year two.

I think if by season 3 we are regressing, then Rivera will be fired at the end of the season.

I do think he gets three full seasons before he is evaluated. If we are showing improvement, then sure, keep him on board. But if we are regressing or just flat out sucking, like 3-4 wins a season, then he is gone.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

To those saying there won't be meaningful improvement this year ignore the history of Jack Del Rio. When the dude takes over a defense for the first time and has an elite pass rusher in his arsenal, shit gets done and the defense ends up top 10, if not top five.

Don't take this as setting an expectation for making the playoffs but we will take a very visible leap forward on defense. Offense, I dunno. But I will lay down a stimulus check that you will notice a very big improvement on defense.

From there, our ascension really depends on Haskins. I can't call it, will he take off or won't he? Don't know enough yet.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #11
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
It was reported around the time of the Rivera hiring that he was going to be expected to produce results quickly, and consistently.

I don't think year one will produce any sort of results, and it would be unfair to expect his first year to be successful after him being tasked with repairing decades of rot. I see a 5-11 / 6-10 team but one that is hopefully growing and showing signs of improvement.

I think if by season 3 we are regressing, then Rivera will be fired at the end of the season.

I do think he gets three full seasons before he is evaluated. If we are showing improvement, then sure, keep him on board. But if we are regressing or just flat out sucking, like 3-4 wins a season, then he is gone.
Yeah, I got a real "gun to his head" vibe at that intro press conference too.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I'm hoping 10 years, 7 Division Champs at least 3 SB.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #13
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post

Exactly.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
Burgold
Special Teams

Rivera will be just fine,he'll restore the winning ways,his contract is for five years and I see division titles and a NFC Championship in our future.
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #15
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I just spoke to my friend's cousin's sister's fortune teller, she said Rivera will get the Redskins one Super Bowl title thanks to the Mighty Mollywhoppers (which is the name of our stud defensive line once we draft Chase Young) and Dwayne Haskins turning into the Ravens version of Trent Dilfer. That's good enough for me.