Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Another question Can Samuels become the play wee all hope he can?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-18-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
RedskinPete
The Starter

Another question Can Samuels become the play wee all hope he can?

He was the next great OT coming out of college! He was going to run over people and keep our QB safe. I have to say Jansen as a # 2 pick in 99 has been so much better. Will the staff and Gibbs get out of Samuels that they need? I would love to see him run over people with Portis picking up big runs behind his blocks!!! Or did we over reach in this pick? Remember we gave up two # one picks in that draft to move up to get him!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
AnonEmouse
The Starter

With good coaching (Bugel is one of the best) we can get great production out of him, IMHO. Remember Spurrier and his staff weren't exactly great at getting the most out of our OL. Watching some games it was obvious the blocking scheme was at fault more than the players.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Yeah, give Samuels a chance. The huge Spurrier fan I am our O-Line coach and basic blocking schemes were troubling. I think Samuels can regain form, but he better restructure next year or he's outta here.

Another nice thing is Portis is EXCELLENT at picking up the blitz. I've seen this guy block top tier DEs and almost knock them on their asses! I'm pretty sure the one I'm thinking about is Simeon Rice. I think, I watched it earlyish last season and was very impressed by Portis's blocking.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:08 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

Did we reach for Samuels? Definitely not. He was a legit top 5 pick.

I'm confident he'll rebound under the guidance of this staff. And the system is better suited towards his strengths, mainly running the ball. Spurrier's pass happy/bare bones protection schemes set up all the OL for failure. Gibbs and Bugel are all about protection and they'll give the OL all the help they need.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
BrudLee
Playmaker

Samuels has two things going against him.

1) The blocking schemes of the past two years were garbage. Tackles were supposed to let DE's go by in pass protection in many cases, and it was below the standards of the NFL. Bugel has a history of efficient line play, and would not resort to gimmicky schemes that will jeopardise the health of our starter.

2) Though Samuels was not a reach, Jansen was a steal. Jansen is one of the top 5 RT's in the league, and has taken a leadership/statesman role with the team. He was first round talent when we got him, but that shouldn't reflect on Samuels.

Until the last two years, Samuels was thought to be slightly better than Jansen. Samuels may appear to have plateaued or slipped during those two years more than Jansen, but that has more to do with the blind-side responsibilities of LT over RT, and the pass-first offense we ran. Both Samuels and Jansen should have resurgences in the balanced offense we will certainly be running.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
Carnage
Special Teams

Samuels is going to have a monster year, now that DL's will have to play the run!
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:36 AM   #7
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

I think he will have a good year. We have to rembember he did not have to block as part of the old ball coach offense. Now that we have coaches that know the NFL He will be made to block or else ride the pine.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

He's got the size and the skills. And he's already had pro-bowl seasons in the pros, so why would he be a reach?

Do you really think the problems on the o-line of the last two years were Samuels rather than Helton's and Spurrier's?

Come on.

Sure, it'd be nice if he'd restucture, but pro-bowl caliber left tackles are expensive. On a Gibbs/Bugel team, you DO NOT skimp on your tackels. We've got excellent book-ends, and with Portis, we're gonna tear it up.

Prediction: Samuels will be back in the pro-bowl soon, with his teammate Jansen.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
skins009
Impact Rookie

I don't think it was all samuels falt, but he def. had a poor year however you look at it. There were times when he flat out got beat. Now do I think he can rebound definetly.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:40 PM   #10
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

I fully expect the 'new' coaching staff to get the best from the roster. Samuels is a great player plagued by esoteric schemes, he'll have a Pro Bowl season.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
itvnetop
Playmaker

our o-line prefers to run block anyway... we'll see a definite improvement in their confidence levels next year when they ain't gotta worry about guys blitzing without pickups.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote