Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jay Gruden expected to return in 2018

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Re: Jay Gruden expected to return in 2018

I don't think you can judge any coach fairly when working under Allen and Snyder. Gruden seems ok, i guess?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
success52
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
I don't think you can judge any coach fairly when working under Allen and Snyder. Gruden seems ok, i guess?
Did you watch the Redskins games this year? Especially the last game of the season.
success52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Allen & Snyder have nothing to do with in game decisions like time management , calling timeouts, not calling quarterback sneaks, screwing up the last 2 minutes of nearly every single game.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #19
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Here’s to another season of mediocrity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #20
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post

What's one more year in the pit of misery? Dilly Dilly!
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #21
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
So we go 5-11 to 9-7 for three more years. No thanks.
The idea of us going 5 - 7 with a healthy KC is ridiculous.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post

This team could be very different also does Jay resign to join Jon in Oakland?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #23
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

He's a good coach and we will need him when Kirk leaves.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #24
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I guess "Big Game Bob" hired a perfect replacement. He played to not lose. Pathetic. Wasted the talent of the best player in college football. Closed mouths don't get fed.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 01-02-2018 at 12:19 AM.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #25
over the mountain
Playmaker

I am fine with it. Need to find a defense and run game to make the next step. Hard to judge when passing was the only thing we do well and then that was taken away with doctson, pryor, reed and O line issues.

I think I am too soft on Jay though. I personally only judge on him on the passing game, blaming Callahan for the run woes and D Coord/roster deficiency for D. Then giving him a pass on the passing game this year bc of injuries and how we couldnt pass pro for 7 step drops/play action. But he has a track record of success to earn him a "bad injury year" excuse for this year.

1 more year, at least, seems like the most reasonable approach.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I guess "Big Game Bob" hired a perfect replacement. He played to not lose. Pathetic. Wasted the talent of the best player in college football. Closed mouths don't get fed.
Def choked that game away
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #27
metalskins
The Starter

It's a good move. My logic is, if a team is consistently winning about half of their games per season, and the Redskins are basically winning and average of 8 games per season now, then I believe it's a lot easier to build a team from there rather than starting at ground zero. 5 wins or less means that you have a lot of issues, and you're closer to a total rebuild. 8 wins means you're looking at changing the outcome of two games, which could make a world of difference between being a mediocre .500 team, and at minimum, being a consistent playoff team.

Gruden is at least an 8-8 coach. Yes, right now, he's Norv Turner. And while he greatly needs to improve in areas of coaching (game management, in-game adjustments, etc..), he has also been fantastic in keeping the team together through all the injuries that had occurred this season. So, again, my philosophy on this is, we're OK with allowing some players to develop, over time, and become great players if not super stars, why should it be different with head coaches? Not saying Gruden will ever become a superstar head coach, but I think he makes the most of his opportunity given to him to continue to improve. I think he's vastly improved over year one. I wasn't much of a fan of his halfway through year two. But Definitely by year three, I felt we had a solid good coach who would continue to improve, and I think he will.

Next year is a big year for the coaches. Let's see what happens. We may have another injury riddled year and we may have a year without Kirk Cousins. But, I'll say that Gruden is coaching on his last season as the Redskins head coach unless the Redskins are in the playoffs.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #28
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Does anyone think that Gruden brings in a true Offensive Coordinator this year?
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #29
spearhead05
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
It's a good move. My logic is, if a team is consistently winning about half of their games per season, and the Redskins are basically winning and average of 8 games per season now, then I believe it's a lot easier to build a team from there rather than starting at ground zero. 5 wins or less means that you have a lot of issues, and you're closer to a total rebuild. 8 wins means you're looking at changing the outcome of two games, which could make a world of difference between being a mediocre .500 team, and at minimum, being a consistent playoff team.

Gruden is at least an 8-8 coach. Yes, right now, he's Norv Turner. And while he greatly needs to improve in areas of coaching (game management, in-game adjustments, etc..), he has also been fantastic in keeping the team together through all the injuries that had occurred this season. So, again, my philosophy on this is, we're OK with allowing some players to develop, over time, and become great players if not super stars, why should it be different with head coaches? Not saying Gruden will ever become a superstar head coach, but I think he makes the most of his opportunity given to him to continue to improve. I think he's vastly improved over year one. I wasn't much of a fan of his halfway through year two. But Definitely by year three, I felt we had a solid good coach who would continue to improve, and I think he will.

Next year is a big year for the coaches. Let's see what happens. We may have another injury riddled year and we may have a year without Kirk Cousins. But, I'll say that Gruden is coaching on his last season as the Redskins head coach unless the Redskins are in the playoffs.
me

Totally 100 percent agree with this. Especially the last part, for me it needs to be playoffs or bust. Ijuries are very hard to get over and still be consistent for ANY team. One more year with solid draft picks in keep positions.
spearhead05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #30
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post

I 100% agree as well. Anything less than playoffs next year and Gruden is gone. Although if we lose Kirk i guess he could always try and buy time by saying he doesn't have his QB, etc., etc.