Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"Jason Campbell struggles against the Steelers"

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: How Many Regular Season Games Will Jason Campbell Start?
1-5 18 15.25%
6-10 16 13.56%
11-16 84 71.19%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #31
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Re: "Jason Campbell struggles against the Steelers"

Cutler 13 att 121 yds 1 td
Rivers 7 att 116 yds
Russell 11 att 76 yds 1 td
Brees 14 att 87 yds 1 td
Schaub 16 att 97 yds 1td
Rodgers 9 att 98 yds 2 tds
Garrard 16 att 216 yds 1td
Pennington 11 att 105 yds 1 td
Ryan 8 att 81 yds 1 td
McNabb 7 att 77 yds 1 td
P.Manning 14 att 167 yds 2 tds
Just thought i would show what some of the 'other' starting Qb's did this week. JC needs to get going,he is not helping himself with these poor performances he is having.

Advertisements
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #32
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i don't think Campbell was all that bad last night. with that out of the way, the days of making excuses for him is over. sooner or later, he just going to have to do it. those screen plays, against that caliber of defense, is just plain bad play calling. he did the right thing both times
I think it's ridiculous the amount of value being put on his performance in the preseason (not that you are in any way responsible). How much can you truly accomplish in 5 passes? To have a 120 yard day, Campbell would have had to average 24 yards an attempt (i.e. complete both deep passes), which is no ones idea of realistic. Yet, that's what he'd have to do in the preseason to shut up his critics.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Yep. Might not be all Campbell. Zorn may just be a sucky coach and play caller. That's what happens when the FO hires an unproven QBs coach to run the offense. He's got no resume that warrants getting the benefit of the doubt.
I call bullshit on you. You were on here last week claiming that Campbell needed to throw it deep to prove a point. THEN WE DID THAT and now you are questioning Zorn's playcalling.

Basically, you have no idea why you hate our offense, and just want change for the sake of change. Why torture yourself any longer. You won't be able to rationalize to yourself what's happening if things are working, so why watch?

Just admit it, you're watching in the hope that Campbell fails, and then you can say you had it right, and that we needed a new QB. If Zorn fails along the way, then he's just collateral damage in your eyes.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #34
Pocket$ $traight

I think that even the Jason Campbell apologists have to raise an eyebrown on this performance. He had time and did nothing with it. He had two opportunities downfield and threw two bad balls. And even his mother would tell you he doesn't throw a good short ball.

I am not calling for Collins (yet) but he simply had a terrible game. For a guy who's career as a starter is on the line, he needs to pick it up.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #35
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I think that even the Jason Campbell apologists have to raise an eyebrown on this performance. He had time and did nothing with it. He had two opportunities downfield and threw two bad balls. And even his mother would tell you he doesn't throw a good short ball.

I am not calling for Collins (yet) but he simply had a terrible game. For a guy who's career as a starter is on the line, he needs to pick it up.
I think you're saying that even though it's Week 2 of the Preseason, that we should expect more from the first team offense.

I'm not buying what you're selling. The offensive line played well, but the dress rehearsal isn't until next week, and no one on the first team's job is on the line. So I'm finding it much harder than most to get really irritated about 3/7 DSR against the World Champs. It's such a mediocre, expected result that I just don't care enough to get truly critical of anyone's performance.

But if I did, I'm sure I could find a bunch of things Campbell did well. It's just that it's so completely irrelevant that it's not worth my time. His job isn't on the line as long as his team is winning and yesterday, they won a meaningless game.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #36
Schneed10
A Dude

The fact that we ran effectively on the Steelers' starters is a much better sign than Campbell's 1-7 is a bad one. We're still a Clinton-Portis-first team. We need to be able to go to our bread and butter more than anything, and that looked good.

If we want to do damage in the playoffs the passing game has to step up, but I think we'll get there.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #37
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think you're saying that even though it's Week 2 of the Preseason, that we should expect more from the first team offense.

I'm not buying what you're selling. The offensive line played well, but the dress rehearsal isn't until next week, and no one on the first team's job is on the line. So I'm finding it much harder than most to get really irritated about 3/7 DSR against the World Champs. It's such a mediocre, expected result that I just don't care enough to get truly critical of anyone's performance.

But if I did, I'm sure I could find a bunch of things Campbell did well. It's just that it's so completely irrelevant that it's not worth my time. His job isn't on the line as long as his team is winning and yesterday, they won a meaningless game.
It doesn't bother you that you have to search through game tape to find some positives? You don't have to do that for Peyton, Romo or Cutler this week.

I am not selling anything. 1 for 7 including two bad deep throws sucks. This is pretty simple and does not need a whole lot of analysis. A performance like this needs to be the exception this year or he is gone and no one can say that he didn't get a fair chance. I am happy that it looks like the guys behind him are legit (although Collins already proved that two seasons ago).
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #38
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

He has to let the monkey on his back go and play. Barring him winning the Superbowl, I believe the management has a plan to go after Tim Tebow in the next draft, all he's doing right now is building his trade value... Mark these words
Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #39
redskinsgirl
Camp Scrub

Quote:
It doesn't bother you that you have to search through game tape to find some positives? You don't have to do that for Peyton, Romo or Cutler this week.

I am not selling anything. 1 for 7 including two bad deep throws sucks. This is pretty simple and does not need a whole lot of analysis. A performance like this needs to be the exception this year or he is gone and no one can say that he didn't get a fair chance. I am happy that it looks like the guys behind him are legit (although Collins already proved that two seasons ago).
How are they legit? Collins and Brennan didn't score in either preseason games. They didn't even get the team into field goal position. JC, Collins, or Brennan didn't look great in the last two games. Brennan may lose his position to Daniels if he puts up another bad performance and Daniels puts up another good one. It looks like if JC fails the skins will be drafting a QB in 2010.
redskinsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #40
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsgirl View Post
How are they legit? Collins and Brennan didn't score in either preseason games. They didn't even get the team into field goal position. JC, Collins, or Brennan didn't look great in the last two games. Brennan may lose his position to Daniels if he puts up another bad performance and Daniels puts up another good one. It looks like if JC fails the skins will be drafting a QB in 2010.
Collins took us to the playoffs. things have changed since then with the offenses but he is capable. Brennan threw a pick but was 3-5 with 1 throw away so other than a bad pass he did ok. Chase did very well, nice runs and a good lob to Marko.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #41
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:

I'm pretty sure preseason performances are the exception, not the rule.

I'm saying it's a stretch to draw any conclusion from a one quarter performance in the preseason, and that consequently, I decided not to break down Campbell's mechanics on film. Don't forget that I've broken him down for a season and a half prior to this, he's not a green as grass rookie. If his experience is reason to conclude suckiness from seven passes, I want no part of this discussion.

Had Campbell been 6 for 7 for 115 yards, I would of politely pointed out he did well and moved on. It's not worth harping on because he's got to do it over 35-40 passes, no quarterback is graded by what the do in the first quarter of any game. In this respect, Jason Campbell has nothing to prove to anyone during the preseason (which is not to say he shouldn't be getting more reps).

Collins is showing me something, but there will not be a benefit to playing him ahead of Campbell. There's not one thing he does better than Campbell, and he's 38, so it's not like we have a viable potential 2010 starter in him. His presence on the roster is injury-related at best.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #42
redskinsgirl
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUCHANON101 View Post
Collins took us to the playoffs. things have changed since then with the offenses but he is capable. Brennan threw a pick but was 3-5 with 1 throw away so other than a bad pass he did ok. Chase did very well, nice runs and a good lob to Marko.
You could take away bad passes from JC and Collins and say they didn't do bad. All three "vet" QBs haven't look good in preseason, so you don't know if Collins is capable in this offense. JC, Collins, and CB haven't been able to move the offense through "passing".
redskinsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #43
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:

As poorly as JC seemed to play last night and as unimpressive as he was last week he is still, far and away, the best QB option on the roster. I wish Zorn had given him the entire half last week and at least that this week to get him in a rhythm. Collins is a backup and he should be a backup. He may have the head of a top level starter but he has the arm of a bullpen coach. Colt '09 is a bad version of Colt '08 and he hasn't shown the same ability to shred substitute teachers and UPS drivers like he did last year. Chase has shown just enough to secure a bust in the SS Hall of Fame but is still 5'10.

I'll be looking forward to a jump next week in JC's performance and production.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #44
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

Yeah in the first game CB wasnt anything to write home about but afterwards even Zorn said that the protection failed him so given that id have to say that he has the edge for the spot over Chase. I think unless CB just goes out there and stinks it up then he is safe.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #45
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsgirl View Post

Ummmm.... Collins moved them into field goal range against the Ravens and then Davis fumbled. I like his decision making and he is throwing accurate balls. Thomas let him down and Hackett should have made that play too.

Pinapple Judas marched them down to the 11 before the pick. I thought he put together a nice drive up to that point. He also had a long first down play against Baltimore before it became 2 mississippi.

Are you watching the games?