Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Current 2014 Free Agents

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #796
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

Kinda hope we lean Clemons or Jenkins over Mitchell.

What is more likely, tanard Jackson returns to the skins for another shot or Rak is traded?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #797
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

What is more likely, tanard Jackson returns to the skins for another shot or Rak is traded?
It is more likely that you will become the King of England than either one of those things.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #798
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The NY Daily News reports free agent CB Alterraun Verner "isn't planning any visits," and intends to sign with a team "shortly after the market opens" on Tuesday. It's possible he already has a deal in place with a team. The Redskins, Giants, Rams, Jets, and Vikings are among the clubs known to have interest in Verner.<snip>
Alterraun Verner is my favorite FA. I'd rather sign him than Byrd or Talib by a long shot.

Last edited by SirLK26; 03-09-2014 at 08:27 PM.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #799
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

The Washington Post confirms the Redskins have "expressed interest" in free agent CB Aqib Talib.

There are many connections for Talib in D.C.; DBs coach Raheem Morris was his head coach in Tampa Bay, and GM Bruce Allen drafted Talib when Allen was the Buccaneers' GM in 2008. Per the Post, Talib is "believed to be seeking a contract that would pay him $9 million to $10 million a season." A league insider told the paper the Redskins want to "make a statement at DB" this offseason.

I bolded the last sentence. I assume that they want to make a different statement at DB than the one they made last season.

If the Skins sign Talib, I'll be OK with it. Most of us know the arguments against it, but we also know that he is a true #1 corner. He can cover most #1 receivers one-on-one and virtually take them out of the game. If the Skins add Talib and a solid FS who has good range, we should be much improved in the secondary.

Plan B could be to add Talib, move DHall to FS, start Amerson at the other corner, play Crawford in the slot and start Thomas at SS. That might work, too.

I wonder: Is it possible that the Skins are printing cap money in the basement at Redskins Park?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #800
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
I would pass on both of those WR.
Agreed.

I'd be happy signing Andre Roberts, though, along with resigning Moss for 1 year and drafting a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. Garcon, Roberts, a healthy Hankerson, an improved Robinson, and either Moss or the rookie in the slot would be a fairly significant upgrade, while leaving money for the defense and O-line. And if we would sign Andrew Quarless to pair with a healthy Reed, that would upgrade the receiving corps, again, without spending big money, and without paying question marks like Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, or Eric Decker.

With Hankerson and Reed being injury question marks, and with having more important needs elsewhere, my philosophy would be to sign solid FA WRs like Roberts. Stay away from big money and uncertainty.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #801
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

Tanard, easily
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #802
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I hope he has his act together, last chance for sure.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #803
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The Washington Post confirms the Redskins have "expressed interest" in free agent CB Aqib Talib.

There are many connections for Talib in D.C.; DBs coach Raheem Morris was his head coach in Tampa Bay, and GM Bruce Allen drafted Talib when Allen was the Buccaneers' GM in 2008. Per the Post, Talib is "believed to be seeking a contract that would pay him $9 million to $10 million a season." A league insider told the paper the Redskins want to "make a statement at DB" this offseason.

I bolded the last sentence. I assume that they want to make a different statement at DB than the one they made last season.

If the Skins sign Talib, I'll be OK with it. Most of us know the arguments against it, but we also know that he is a true #1 corner. He can cover most #1 receivers one-on-one and virtually take them out of the game. If the Skins add Talib and a solid FS who has good range, we should be much improved in the secondary.

Plan B could be to add Talib, move DHall to FS, start Amerson at the other corner, play Crawford in the slot and start Thomas at SS. That might work, too.

I wonder: Is it possible that the Skins are printing cap money in the basement at Redskins Park?
the only statement they would be making is they still don't know how to manage their salary cap.

The Redskins already have $11 million in dead cap space now,and they will probably be close to $20 million by the start of the season. Will they ever learn ? It is foolish to sign big long term contracts to older players.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #804
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Redskins Free Agency Rumors - Hogs Haven

Here some more brain exploding info
Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #805
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Agreed.

I'd be happy signing Andre Roberts, though, along with resigning Moss for 1 year and drafting a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. Garcon, Roberts, a healthy Hankerson, an improved Robinson, and either Moss or the rookie in the slot would be a fairly significant upgrade, while leaving money for the defense and O-line. And if we would sign Andrew Quarless to pair with a healthy Reed, that would upgrade the receiving corps, again, without spending big money, and without paying question marks like Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, or Eric Decker.

With Hankerson and Reed being injury question marks, and with having more important needs elsewhere, my philosophy would be to sign solid FA WRs like Roberts. Stay away from big money and uncertainty.

I tend to agree with most of your opening paragraph other than bringing back moss, but it wouldn't bother me to much either way. Quarrels and Roberts would be nice additions to the team and provide some nice targets for III.

No to Nicks and other bigger name WRs I have heard thrown around.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #806
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'd like Talib but not for 10 plus a yr, we have other major needs at WR and OL as well.. Rather just sign pretty good players all around than 1 and a bunch of guys that wont make a difference
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #807
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Now Nicks has said that he is open to a 1 year prove it deal, are you all ok with that? Because no doubt Nicks can play.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #808
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Now Nicks has said that he is open to a 1 year prove it deal, are you all ok with that? Because no doubt Nicks can play.

best move he could make but he's going to Carolina I just have always thought that
Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #809
SirLK26
The Starter

Hakeem Nicks wants to play with Colts' Andrew Luck - NFL.com

Quote:
Now Nicks is clarifying that he wants a long-term deal from a team with a established quarterback and a need at wide receiver.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #810
That Guy
Living Legend

i'd take nicks on a prove 1-year deal. there's no way i'd throw a full contract at him though unless it was all incentive based (production AND playing time).

i'd rather grab roberts or britt (assuming they're cheap) and call it a day there.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote