Redskins O.T.A.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #106
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins O.T.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That's really the problem in a nutshell - we have no #1 (or even a #2?) that scares defenses. There are some lottery tickets that could hit - Cam Sims? McLaurin? If they hit then we're in business. But until we see it from them - I'm definitely imagining an offense that doesn't threaten the secondary. Coordinators will be willing to stack the box against Guice and Peterson, and willing to blitz and leave corners on an island to challenge the passing game to win under pressure.

It points to a team with zero margin for error. The defense will have to keep us in games, and whether we win or lose will depend largely on whether we have success running the ball against stacked fronts, and whether we can take care of the ball. McCoy and Keenum are known to turn it over. Haskins is a rookie so we have no idea.

We're looking at a ton of close games, 23-21, 20-17, 24-23, stuff like that. Which points to 9-7 if we stay healthy, and 6-10 if we don't. To talk about 10+ wins or more, we have to see something from this WR group we haven't seen before. The lotto ticket needs to hit.
I think Haskins will open it up more than Smith did of course but I agree, the talent just isn't there.

Advertisements
Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #107
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

So the passing game is not great right now...and this is where I'd like to see some originality and planning from Gruden and the offensive staff this offseason by using what they do have. I'd like to see play action quick hits to Quinn, more screen throws to Thompson like they had in 2017, more throws to the TE off play action. They don't have a great #1 or #2....so improvise! And stop trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole...work around the talent you have. Obviously injuries have hurt this in the last 2 years, but last years offense from the beginning was about as vanilla as it gets.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #108
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
So the passing game is not great right now...and this is where I'd like to see some originality and planning from Gruden and the offensive staff this offseason by using what they do have. I'd like to see play action quick hits to Quinn, more screen throws to Thompson like they had in 2017, more throws to the TE off play action. They don't have a great #1 or #2....so improvise! And stop trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole...work around the talent you have. Obviously injuries have hurt this in the last 2 years, but last years offense from the beginning was about as vanilla as it gets.
We have absolutely no hope of seeing that.
KI Skins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #109
Warthog
The Starter

Since Gruden is no longer the play caller, perhaps we'll see some changes in originality. The play calling last year was vanilla AND hugely predictable. If the average Redskins fan noticed that, then the Defensive Coordinators absolutely were ready for it.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote