Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

"Curious" absence of a Post writer...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #16
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Re: "Curious" absence of a Post writer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch66
Maybe she has a wicked yeast infection and couldn't turn on her computer.
loloololol

Advertisements
Old 10-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
dblanch66
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Having lived in a bunch of different cities I can tell you most local columnists bash the local team at one time or another. It sells papers.

I'm curious how you know she is hiding (and hiding from what?) and not off on another project for the paper, a book, health problem, family issue, etc..
What are you married to her? Having grown up in a military family I have traveled my whole life, so I have experience here too. I am going off of past history. We went 3-0 and heard nothing from her. She then chose to write a column after the 1st loss. This stuff happend all last year too. So
I'm curious how YOU know she's NOT hiding. As for those of you who are offended by wit, I'll try to use more "Adam Sandler" type humor for you all in the future.
dblanch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #18
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrisp
irish is right on this one. Jenkins is a sports columnist, which is the sportswriting equivalent of an op/ed writer. She doesn't have to be objective, nor do you have to agree with her opinion. Conflict sells papers, and if there's venom to be spewed about the local sports team, you're sure to find it in the local paper. If you want nothing but love and adoration and positivity, the Redskins certainly provide ample media content of their own to satisfy you.

By the way, fellas, can we try to keep the misogyny to ourselves, please? There are women on these boards-- including my wife-- and I'm sure their opinion of this forum drops down another peg every time they see words like "bitch" being hurled at female journalists, or malicious references to yeast infections or any other hateful comments that would make this board appear to be yet another online bastion of male chauvinism, rather than the home of Redskins discussion for the knowledgeable fan-- male OR female. Let's try to keep that in mind when we're sharing our views on any subject.

I hate to be the PC watchdog for this board, but I want everyone to feel welcome here, and I want people-- both male and female-- to always come away from our site with a higher opinion of it. I don't know about you, but my esteem of a person or group has never been elevated by their use of chauvinistic or otherwise hateful language.

Thanks to those of you who care for helping to make this board the community that it is.
Joe,

I agree with you on the subject of PC-ness. And we WONDER why this place is always such a sausage fest?

On the note of her opinions/editorials, sure she doesn't have to be objective but if she's going to be that way, I think that she should just come out and put it all on the table. When I read the Op/Ed sections for most papers, the opinion is there in black and white and it's mostly trying to persuade the general public in one way or another, in particular with reference to the Iraq war.

I'm fine with people being realists, but to put it in a single phrase, it seems like she is only there to shit on our collective parades. I do think that any members name-calling of her is unwarranted, but the criticism that she gets most certainly is not.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:37 PM   #19
Sociofan
Special Teams

Sally Jenkins: jenkinss@washpost.com
Sports columnist
Sociofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #20
STPainmaker
Impact Rookie

Quote:
irish is right on this one. Jenkins is a sports columnist, which is the sportswriting equivalent of an op/ed writer. She doesn't have to be objective, nor do you have to agree with her opinion. Conflict sells papers, and if there's venom to be spewed about the local sports team, you're sure to find it in the local paper. If you want nothing but love and adoration and positivity, the Redskins certainly provide ample media content of their own to satisfy you.

By the way, fellas, can we try to keep the misogyny to ourselves, please? There are women on these boards-- including my wife-- and I'm sure their opinion of this forum drops down another peg every time they see words like "bitch" being hurled at female journalists, or malicious references to yeast infections or any other hateful comments that would make this board appear to be yet another online bastion of male chauvinism, rather than the home of Redskins discussion for the knowledgeable fan-- male OR female. Let's try to keep that in mind when we're sharing our views on any subject.

I hate to be the PC watchdog for this board, but I want everyone to feel welcome here, and I want people-- both male and female-- to always come away from our site with a higher opinion of it. I don't know about you, but my esteem of a person or group has never been elevated by their use of chauvinistic or otherwise hateful language.

Thanks to those of you who care for helping to make this board the community that it is.

She's a dirty cunt....JK. I feel you Joe.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:09 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

I'm aware this is her job, and she's a columnist who offers her opinions, but c'mon already. Isn't this Skins bashing crap getting old and predictable? Especially when she only comes out of her cave after a loss?

There are plenty of other quality columnists on the Post, and they are much more fair and level headed than Jenkins. Look at Wise, who recently apologized for his comments regarding Brunell last year. Wilbon and Kornheiser are both pretty fair in their articles, calling the Skins out when necessary and giving praise when appropriate.

Jenkins' negatively slanted articles are just getting old, what is she going to do if god forbid they have a winning season and go to the playoffs? Will she just not write about the Skins? I guess that wouldn't be a bad thing.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #22
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

She'll say, "Well I guess they weren't good enough to win the Super Bowl."

Hell, even if we did, she'd be like, "Well they can't be THAT good. They didn't go undefeated."
Old 10-25-2005, 11:46 AM   #23
dblanch66
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I'm aware this is her job, and she's a columnist who offers her opinions, but c'mon already. Isn't this Skins bashing crap getting old and predictable? Especially when she only comes out of her cave after a loss?

There are plenty of other quality columnists on the Post, and they are much more fair and level headed than Jenkins. Look at Wise, who recently apologized for his comments regarding Brunell last year. Wilbon and Kornheiser are both pretty fair in their articles, calling the Skins out when necessary and giving praise when appropriate.

Jenkins' negatively slanted articles are just getting old, what is she going to do if god forbid they have a winning season and go to the playoffs? Will she just not write about the Skins? I guess that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Thank you, Matty. It's a trend that is hard to ignore.
dblanch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #24
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

Exactlty. Wilbon and Kornheiser are good examples of columnists who don't seem to let bias get in the way. Kornheiser is certainly a Skins fan but he calls them out a lot. His stuff does tend to be more positive regarding them but you can't say he goes soft on them. Wilbon is definitly not a Skins fan but you never see him go after them without good cause. He'll praise when needed. Neither of them are strictly positive or negative. They simply are balanced.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:17 PM   #25
railcon56
Impact Rookie

Quote:

Thanks for posting this Joe I couldn't agree with you more....
Old 10-26-2005, 04:21 AM   #26
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociofan
Sally Jenkins: jenkinss@washpost.com
Sports columnist
Thank you, sir.

I think if she is "woman" enough to write about the Redskins from her NY office, then certainly she should be open to a little constructive critism herself.

I'm sure she's well aware of the loyal, the most loyal, fan base that exist here in all of professional football. Yes, even more than those stupid cheeseheads in Greenbay!!, and yet she still continues to write these negative articles about our beloved Redskins.

No, it probably won't change her mind or the what she writes, but dammit it will make me feel a helleva lot better!!!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #27
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I think she has some kind of deal with the post, like in her contract it says whenever the Redskins win, she gets the week off and doesn't have to write an article.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #28
Dana87
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Having lived in a bunch of different cities I can tell you most local columnists bash the local team at one time or another. It sells papers.

I'm curious how you know she is hiding (and hiding from what?) and not off on another project for the paper, a book, health problem, family issue, etc..

I'm curious why you seem to be defending someone that is so obvious about her anti Redskins Bias. While she might be a columist, that does not excuse her lack of integrity. It's one thing to point out the mistakes the Redskins make, Like:

Bringing back Gibbs when the game has clearly passed him by
Signing the over the hill Brunell
The dumb trade for Santana Moss

If she had any integrity at all she would have already admited she was wrong. :smashfrea
Dana87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #29
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby
I think she has some kind of deal with the post, like in her contract it says whenever the Redskins win, she gets the week off and doesn't have to write an article.
Here's to a long vacation.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #30
56FAN
Special Teams

I don't even bother reading her column, and without integrity what does a writer really have. everyone steps in it from time to time. but to act like theres nothing wrong and continue on is wrong. hopefully the light will come on and she will see her one way writing, if not i need not worry because i won't be reading it.
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote