Other Sports

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #16
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Washington Wizards 2010-2011 Ongoing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Agreed... Magic Johnson said it best- you don't pass on a franchise PG like this. There have only been a few absolute top pick PGs- Magic, AI, Derrick Rose (even though many thought Beasley was the pick)... successful careers (and Rose is well on his way). The only former Sun who saw similar success without Nash was Joe Johnson (you think Dirk wouldn't like Steve back in Dallas?).

The league's changed over the past few years from teams with dominating big men to those with dominating point guards. Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook and obviously Rajon Rondo are proving that special PGs can upgrade the entire squad faster than comparable big men (the Lakers are the exception... they've just got too much size down low, plus Kobe).

Evan Turner is a fine player- I'd say he's similar to Brandon Roy, but I'm still not sold on his defense yet (Buckeyes played a lot of zone). But I'm not bypassing Wall b/c we already have Gil... the Blazers passed on the better talent to grab Sam Bowie (even Hakeem was available as a center). If Gil can't work alongside Wall, the decision is obvious- move Agent 0.
It's no guarantee that an elite point guard will turn you into a championship contender. You could easily be stuck in the second round forever like the Jazz and Deron Williams. However it sure as hell gives you a great chance to build a winner and it's very effective when it comes to making a bad team look good and a good team look great.

Also keep in mind the last team I remember passing up on an elite PG was when the Hawks insisted on taking Marvin Williams over Chris Paul. Even though the Hawks recovered the fact of the matter is they would likely be much better today had they drafted Paul.

However, freaking Ted Leonis. Have to admit, guy has pretty damn good luck when it comes to draft lottery's.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Advertisements
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #17
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Analysis Per ESPN Insider

John Wall
Positives:
Freakish athletic point guard
Great size for his position
Explosive leaping ability
Very quick first step
Flies up and down the court
Big-time penetrator and finisher at the rim
Solid passer, can be creative
Decent midrange jumper
Great rebounder for a guard

Negatives:
Needs to improve his 3-point jump shot
Still needs to improve his decision-making skills with the ball
Needs more intensity on the defensive end

Evan Turner
Positives:
Great size for a 2 guard
Can play three positions on the floor
Excellent ball handler
Good athlete
Very good at getting to the basket
Excellent rebounder for a guard
Improving shooter
Aggressive defender
Excellent free-throw shooter

Negatives:
Needs to continue to add strength
Needs a more consistent long-range jump shot
Turnover prone

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #18
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Would anybody be upset if we picked Evan Turner?
I'd be a little bit upset, I don't have a whole lot of faith in Evan Turner becoming a special player. I think he'll be very good, but I don't think he's going to be fantastic. He's never seemed overly efficient to me, he always seems to need the ball to fill it up. I feel like he bogs down an offense and turns everything into a half court, "see how long I can dribble before getting a shot off," Evan Turner show.

Pay no attention to the fact that I'm a Michigan fan.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #19
johno
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyAsCanBe View Post
Completely agree. You've got to take the best player at number one, not draft for need. He's going to be an elite point guard on our team for the next decade. I even think he'll be able to play with Gil, who I think will have an outstanding season.

Excited for the Wall-shington Wizards to improve.
I am stealing that. nice.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Evan Turner is a really intriguing prospect. Like itvnetop said, he's another Brandon Roy (who in my opinion is the most underrated star in the NBA). I wouldn't be unhappy with him at all.

Still, there's something special about Wall.

It's a tough call for me quite honestly. On the one hand I love the idea of Wall at the point and move Gilbert off the ball (something that should have been done a long time ago). On the other hand, Shaun Livingston really impressed me this past season. He's a big point guard with great court vision. If they can move Arenas out of there, and draft Turner. I wouldn't hate a Livingston/Turner back-court.

It's nice to have options
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Would anybody be upset if we picked Evan Turner?
Gotta say yes, he is a very nice player who really just "bloomed" this year...getting a great PG is kinda like getting a great Center, they just dont come around very often. Wall IMO is a better prospect than the recent Derrick Rose...I think we have to take him.

He Gets Us
Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #22
mredskins
MVP

I am Celtics fan and I was even excited to hear that Washington got the first pick, since I live around here I watch plenty of Wizards ball to get my fix and it be nice to see a potential super star develop here.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #23
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
I am stealing that. nice.
I saw another good one on Bulletsforever.com:

The Great Wall of Chinatown.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #24
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Evan Turner is a really intriguing prospect. Like itvnetop said, he's another Brandon Roy (who in my opinion is the most underrated star in the NBA). I wouldn't be unhappy with him at all.

Still, there's something special about Wall.

It's a tough call for me quite honestly. On the one hand I love the idea of Wall at the point and move Gilbert off the ball (something that should have been done a long time ago). On the other hand, Shaun Livingston really impressed me this past season. He's a big point guard with great court vision. If they can move Arenas out of there, and draft Turner. I wouldn't hate a Livingston/Turner back-court.

It's nice to have options
Livingston really showed...but seriously? I can't see a Livingston/Turner back-court as much of a long term step up. I'd rather it be a Wall/Arenas
back-court where Gil can play for a year and up his value then trade him for better assets. I don't know...Livingston/Turner strikes me as, at best, a 45 win type back-court. Minus a formidable front-court of course. Wilbon has a good article...the league ahs become a point guard league and Wall is awesome. Of course Livingston was something special before the knee.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

End of the day I'd have to go with Wall. Just saying I wouldn't hate on a Turner choice
Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #26
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I wouldn't be upset to have a player with Turner's potential, but I don't see any way we can pass up on a prospect of Wall's caliber. Seperate of John Wall, I think Evan Turner will pan out to be a very good player. But I'm not even blinking if I have choice between the two. And the Wizards have that choice.
Agreed, Wall is the top prospect and probably also has more room to grow. I've just heard it mentioned a time or two and wondered if there was anything to the idea of picking Turner. I didn't follow either of them much but obviously heard quite a bit about them during the past season.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
12thMan
MVP

You just have to go with Wall. No other way around it. Not to sound cliche, but he really is a special player. It's not often you can build a team around a point guard, but this is that rare occasion. Truth is, guys with Turner's size and athletic ability will be out there long after the first few picks, and perhaps in the FA market. Evans will be good, but Wall has the potential to be great. And for the people comparing this pick to Kwame Brown, apples and oranges. Not even close.

The way the league is trending right now, it's becoming a point guard driven league. The Celtics are clearly surging right now because of Rondo. There are others that come to mind, but he's the most vivid example for obvious reasons. You need a guy pushing the rock, controlling the tempo, and helping guys finish in the paint.

In terms of who is out there right now, it might not be a bad idea for the Zards to "skip" this FA class, let the lock out play itself out and go for a Durant or Mello the following season. How sick would that be? Listening to Grunfeld today, it's something that they're definitely considering.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #28
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooleyAsCanBe View Post
I saw another good one on Bulletsforever.com:

The Great Wall of Chinatown.
lol nice

wall-shington wizards is the winner so far though
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #29
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
lol nice

wall-shington wizards is the winner so far though
I was joking with my friend about this last night after I saw so many people with John Wall-related Facebook statuses. We were coming up with dumb ones for the area.

Wallshington Wallzards
The Wallshington Monument
DeAngelo Wall
...and so on.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #30
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I was joking with my friend about this last night after I saw so many people with John Wall-related Facebook statuses. We were coming up with dumb ones for the area.

Wallshington Wallzards
The Wallshington Monument
DeAngelo Wall
...and so on.
Washington Wallets
John Wall + Yao Ming = Great Wall of China
Nicklas Wallstrom

- FRPLG
Closed Thread