Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

My evaluation of Shanahan starts now

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

My evaluation of Shanahan starts now

I was going to revive this thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...shanaplan.html) from late last season on the 'Shanaplan' as I saw it then and why I was optimistic. He did 3 of the 4 things I wanted to see done in the offseason (improve WR, get OL depth and of course fix the QB but he didn't upgrade CB) so now this is truly 'HIS' roster. I believe I saw a stat this weekend that 41 of the 53 on the roster are his players, either by draft, free agency or trade. I was optimistic then and even more so now.

I went back and looked at the 53 man roster from 2010's opening day vs. today's roster. From that 2010 roster there are 23 players no longer in the NFL. Of those still in the league and on other teams, only 4 (McIntosh, Landry, Rogers & Artis Hicks) are starters. Two of them lost starting jobs for us (Hicks and McIntosh). Interestingly enough only 4 inherited players (Davis, Montgomery, Fletcher & Hall) are starters as well. Does this give an indication of just how bad of a team he inherited?

All that being said, this is the year I need to see the plan begin to come to bear fruit. I'm not looking for a 5-11 to 11-5 turnaround because I don't feel that's realistic with a rookie QB but these are now his player, his team, his roster composition. I'm not giving him a complete pass for '10 and '11 but I think from this point on is where we can really start to see if he is the coach and leader to take us to the postseason on a consistent basis.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote