He's about where I expected him to be 39 72.22%
Disappointed but still optimistic 4 7.41%
He's a bust 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #121
rocnrik
Playmaker

Re: Dwayne Haskins preseason thread

Case is good enough with a good supporting cast around him to win 10 games ..that means time to throw .. receivers who can get open and a running game..the D will keep us in games !! We don’t need stupid fumbles and bad special teams play .. I’m not worried about Case it’s all the other stuff that worries me.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #122
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Whatever you guys are seeing with the O I am not drinking the koolaid yet. We are still relying on reed, the wr corp is suspect, I have hopes for Guice but want to see him actually play before I get excited and LT is a bit of a concern. D might be good but will get worn down if we see the anything close to last year and I am pretty sure we aren't starting 6-3. I hope I am wrong.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #123
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
FYI, Keenum started 16 last year w/ a top defense and won 6.

I just don't understand playing a career journeymen cause he might make less mistakes. That he can manage the game to maybe keep us competitive. Screw that. He also can't make throws like Haskins made to Davis. Instant offense.

If Gruden was truly a good coach he could craft a game plan where he'd put in plays that Haskins is comfortable with. He'd take 15 plays or so right out of Ohio State's playbook. He'd cut down his plays and use basic formations. Throw more on first down where he can max protect. If he did these things then I see no reason why you don't start the rookie. If he struggles then put in Case.
Denver's defense was middle of the pack last year at best...They aren't the SB defense everyone thinks they still are. Washington's D will likely be much better than that this year, and the offense looks to have more weapons than Denver did last year. Could be good if Keenum can get a grasp of the playbook...this team 'could' really take off.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #124
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Jay's got to play for his job, so he has every incentive to play the guy who is ready now. He knows what Keenum is - he knows he's got the lowest risk of turning the ball over, which will work best with his defense & run game oriented team.

The only way starting Haskins becomes a consideration for Jay is if the front office makes him. They could easily say hey we don't think we're going to be real good anyway and force him to start the rookie.

But then you introduce the possibility of Jay throwing up his hands and the locker room disengaging, and none of that is good.

Starting Keenum makes the most sense if you're trying to win games this year. And I'd argue that if you want to build a culture that's worth a crap, you need to try to win every year, no matter what. Play the best guy. Haskins will be the best guy some day, but he's not now.
This has been my argument the whole time. This is a pro sport, may the best man win. Easiest way to lose a lockerroom is by using any other metric besides going with the guy that deserves it.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:42 AM   #125
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
This has been my argument the whole time. This is a pro sport, may the best man win. Easiest way to lose a lockerroom is by using any other metric besides going with the guy that deserves it.
I've been saying too.

Any other position we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Put the guy that won the job out there. These guys are putting their bodies on the line, they need to know their coaches are trying to win too.

Now, if the battle is close, and I have a sense it is, I think the locker room could be more excited by playing with and mentoring the young guy than playing with a guy they know will be gone next season.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #126
MTK
\m/

If anyone is holding out hope we see the Keenum of 2017 you're probably going to have a bad time this year. He had a career year on a loaded offense with the Vikings and they still elected to move on from him. Denver moved on after one mediocre season. Very unlikely he has another 2017 in him.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #127
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I don't know what version of Keenum we'll see and for how long, but that 2017 year was more about Minnesota's defense than anything else. I do think that if the Redskins defense is top 10 - trending toward top 5 as some think it may be, it's not out of the realm of possibility that this team has a good year with him under center - especially if a couple of the potential playmakers on offense show up consistently...

Of course the team could suffer a ton of injuries and be terrible too...we'll just have to see how it all plays out.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #128
Meks
Pro Bowl

The defense still has a lot of young/raw talent and it will take time to push a top 5 unit. I also question our coordinator so we will see but hey man they have all the potential in the world. If we were a D first ball control team I think we'd fair well. The way the game is changing and evolving including rules and how games are called, the blatant screw job we seem to get 2-3 times a year ,tho, makes that difficult at the least
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #129
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I know, lets get this season out of the way, but with McCoy likely on the scrap heap and Smith almost certainly retiring or at least moving on, what about next year? I can't help thinking the best thing all round is to sit Haskins rather than risk spoiling his chances now, and start Keenum unless/until he stinks. Then if Haskins shows the mettle to own the starting job next season, barring a diamond late round backup QB pick up (a la Cousins), keep Keenum as #2 next year as he'll have experience in the system to fall back on.
Keenum can't expect a big contract next time out, from anyone, and may well agree to stay for a reasonable cost. That gives us freedom to concentrate on other needs. Almost regardless how the TW situation turns out, and I strongly believe he's traded by week 1, we must at least think about a high pick on an LT, so having a decent backup QB is something I'd rather have in hand than use up a valuable pick on or bringing in yet another journeyman.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #130
Meks
Pro Bowl

We'll be 4-4 halfway thru in an already tough and highly contested conference and case will prolly see it thru barring injury.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #131
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I know, lets get this season out of the way, but with McCoy likely on the scrap heap and Smith almost certainly retiring or at least moving on, what about next year? I can't help thinking the best thing all round is to sit Haskins rather than risk spoiling his chances now, and start Keenum unless/until he stinks. Then if Haskins shows the mettle to own the starting job next season, barring a diamond late round backup QB pick up (a la Cousins), keep Keenum as #2 next year as he'll have experience in the system to fall back on.

Keenum can't expect a big contract next time out, from anyone, and may well agree to stay for a reasonable cost...
This is what I have been saying all along!

Give Dwayne Haskins a year to develop, then make him the starting QB next season.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #132
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Do not want Haskins out there until he is ready and the O- line play has improved. The success of the team is going to be based on how the last draft pans out and if injured players bounce back. That is shaky ground if you ask me.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #133
mredskins
MVP

Look at the Baltimore blue print, they didn’t start Lamar until the end of the season.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #134
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

To be fair with Lamar it was more towards the middle of the season, Flacco got hurt, and they had the number 1 defense in the league last year. Just from a throwing perspective, Haskins is farther along than Jackson was as a rookie.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #135
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If anyone is holding out hope we see the Keenum of 2017 you're probably going to have a bad time this year. He had a career year on a loaded offense with the Vikings and they still elected to move on from him. Denver moved on after one mediocre season. Very unlikely he has another 2017 in him.
Put me in the camp that doesn't expect a 2017 from him, I would honestly be surprised if Haskins isn't starting by game 5.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote