Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #46
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Re: Does the Eagles run remind you of anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Should Pittsburgh's superbowl be taken away because they sucked this year? That is just the most flawed logic I've ever heard. You can't expect momentum to carry over from season to season, it never does. Ask all the previous superbowl winners minus the patriots.
The difference is that Pittsburgh has had great seasons for the past several years. And no, you can't take away their Lombardi trophy. I haven't suggested "taking away" the 10-6 record for the Redskins either.

Outside of that 5-0 run, here are the records for the past seven seasons --

2000: 8-8
2001: 8-8
2002: 7-9
2003: 5-11
2004: 6-10
2005: 10-6
2006: 6-10 (at best)

All I'm saying is that maybe we weren't as good as the 10-6 record indicates. It was a magical run, you can't take it away from them, and yes, they were good enough to take advantage of soft opponents who suffered from injuries to key players. I was one who expected the Redskins to 'take the next logical step' this season. I know I wasn't alone. To say that you can NEVER expect the same basic group of players to advance from one season to the next is just plain wrong. You can certainly do that -- and I maintain that since the Redskins haven't done that this year, perhaps they just weren't as good as we all thought they were in 2005.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #47
MTK
\m/

A better comparison than the Steelers might be the Bengals. They went 11-5 last year but outside of that they haven't done much in this decade. So is their playoff run last year tarnished a bit by their fall back to mediocrity this year?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #48
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
The difference is that Pittsburgh has had great seasons for the past several years. And no, you can't take away their Lombardi trophy. I haven't suggested "taking away" the 10-6 record for the Redskins either.

Outside of that 5-0 run, here are the records for the past seven seasons --

2000: 8-8
2001: 8-8
2002: 7-9
2003: 5-11
2004: 6-10
2005: 10-6
2006: 6-10 (at best)

All I'm saying is that maybe we weren't as good as the 10-6 record indicates. It was a magical run, you can't take it away from them, and yes, they were good enough to take advantage of soft opponents who suffered from injuries to key players. I was one who expected the Redskins to 'take the next logical step' this season. I know I wasn't alone. To say that you can NEVER expect the same basic group of players to advance from one season to the next is just plain wrong. You can certainly do that -- and I maintain that since the Redskins haven't done that this year, perhaps they just weren't as good as we all thought they were in 2005.

You took one sentence of what I said and ignored the rest.

But you know what, I am confident our Skins will rebound. So by your logic, if we go 11-5 or better next year, this year was a complete fluke, and we have a top notch team.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #49
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
A better comparison than the Steelers might be the Bengals. They went 11-5 last year but outside of that they haven't done much in this decade. So is their playoff run last year tarnished a bit by their fall back to mediocrity this year?
I think you have to look at the manner in which they won the games. I haven’t done research on the Bengals, but I know what happened in Washington last year:

Barely beating the Arizona Cardinals on a kickoff return for a touchdown.

Beating up on the Rams with their third string quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick starting. Witness the Redskins’ latest outing against those same Rams with Marc Bulger – slightly different results.

A comeback win over the Eagles who were playing without Donovan McNabb and Brian Westbrook.

You’re right that there are different circumstances in 2006 – – there were no pansies this time around. While we have had injuries to contend with (as all teams do) that doesn’t excuse the plummet we’ve seen this year, unless ... as I maintain, maybe we just weren’t as good as advertised last season.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #50
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm starting to beleive that no matter what you show, he won't get it. It makes sense to us, but it doesn't to him. Sometimes when you have something in your head, there is no getting it out. (that's not to say that beemnseven is dumb or anything, just that he beleives a certain way..like a democrat won't side with a republican no matter how much you prove, or disprove a point)
Old 12-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #51
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You took one sentence of what I said and ignored the rest.

But you know what, I am confident our Skins will rebound. So by your logic, if we go 11-5 or better next year, this year was a complete fluke, and we have a top notch team.
Let's wait and see on that 11-5 record next year, shall we? I've had quite enough of over-inflated expectations.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #52
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Let's wait and see on that 11-5 record next year, shall we? I've had quite enough of over-inflated expectations.
Sounds good.
I know if we fail again, I won't be as patient.